Spartanburg Long-Range Transportation Plan (2025)

Sparkle City

One of the posts from a few years ago mentioned plans to make the US 176/new I-85 interchange 'high-speed.' May I ask, is this what is there now, in 2009? Or are further upgrades like circular ramps planned?

Manned flight to Uranus will occur before this project is accomplished! Meanwhile, I-585 remains "orphaned" from I-85.

As I understand it, the main problem with business 85 is that it was not originally design as an interstate. It was going to be a new high speed, high capacity route for Highway 29... but this was before they had interstates and standards that regulated them. Roads-scholar can probably elaborate more on that one.

The interchanges in all cases have one major flaw- the frontage roads. The only way to get the interchanges to function better, IMO, is to remove or relocate the frontage roads so that you can install the correct geometry for the merging lanes.

As I understand it, the main problem with business 85 is that it was not originally design as an interstate. It was going to be a new high speed, high capacity route for Highway 29... but this was before they had interstates and standards that regulated them. Roads-scholar can probably elaborate more on that one.

The interchanges in all cases have one major flaw- the frontage roads. The only way to get the interchanges to function better, IMO, is to remove or relocate the frontage roads so that you can install the correct geometry for the merging lanes.

Before Business 85 it was I-85. Before it was I-85 it was originally a two-lane US-29 constructed in 1953 to bypass the old US-29 that ran through Spartanburg, Cowpens, Gaffney, and Blacksburg. This highway ran from what is now SC-129 in Lyman all the way to the North Carolina state line near Grover. This route was chosen for the new Interstate 85 in 1957. In those days high-speed acceleration and deceleration lanes were not a requirement for interstates. Also, frontage or service roads were common for freeways then (today, they're only found in Texas). This is why the geometry of Business 85's interchanges are mostly inadequate for today's traffic and speeds. Compare the interchanges on the "new" I-85 with those on Business 85 and you will see what I'm referring to.

Edited by roads-scholar

Actually I guess our best hope (meaning that which has the best chance of actually happening) is that SC 129 is extended past the new Adidas distribution facility to tie into Fairforest Rd. or Fairforest-Clevedale (I think that's what turns into Hayne St.). Then maybe N. Blackstock could be extended, parallel to I-26, to link up as well.

Well I'm wondering if SCDOT might consider upgrading that interchange to improve access for the Department of Motor Vehicles and the Highway Patrol. I know it's very wishful thinking.

In terms of flow, the Fairforest Road interchange happens to be on the better ones on Business 85. Bryant Road (s simple diamond) is the best although the acceleration and deceleration lanes are too short. Contrast these interchanges with SC-295 (New Cut Road) and SC-9 (Boiling Springs Road).

Regarding I-585, I found this on the SCDOT website under 'Active Projects.'

http://www.scdot.org/doing/AcceleratedProj...mp;id=37176RD01

I know that considerable work has already been down improving the I-585/SC-9/US-221 interchanges, including adding the very useful exit at 9 on 585 south. But if I read the info on the website correctly, it sounds like further work may be planned, including raising the overpass at California Ave. Can any of you clarify this for me? Thanks.

Another item on SCDOT's webiste listed as an 'Active Project' for Spartanburg County is a study of the feasiblility of relocating the CSX rail line near Greer closer to the Norfolk Southern line:

http://www.dot.state.sc.us/doing/Accelerat...rg&mp=30945

I wonder if a similar relocation might eventually be considered for the CSX line on Spartanburg's west side. The existing route that crosses West Blackstock a little of the mall is rarely used but would make a great walk/bike route from downtown, past Spartanburg Methodist College, all the way to the mall area.

[sorry, should read "crosses West blackstock a little north of the mall"]

• 2 weeks later...

They have put up some road work signs at the interesction of St. Johm & Dean. Also at Pine street at the Pinewood sopping area. (can't remember the street name) They are covered in the black plastic right now, but I was wondring if anyone knows what they are about to do? They could be changing out the lights, but I don't think they would place the signs this far in advance for something like that.

The Pinewood area activity might be related to the above posts about the work on the 221/Hwy9 and California Ave intersections...

St John & Dean could be related to the construction of the USC Upstate Business College.

This is all speculative on my part. I have not seen this stuff for myself.

• 1 month later...

I unexpectedly came across a State Interstate Corridor Plan Fiscal Years 2008-2030.

Link: http://www.scdot.org/inside/multimodal/pdf...orridorPlan.pdf

Most notable projects are:

Widening 85 from 6 to 8 lanes from Anderson to Gossett Road

Widening 85 from 4 to 6 lanes from Gossett Road to NC state line

Widening 26 from 4 to 8 lanes from US 176 to US SC 296

Widening 26 from 4 to 6 lanes from SC 296 to US 221

For 26, it will mean interchange flyovers for 85 and 85 Business.

Nothing exciting was listed yet for 585, but its eventual widening from 4 to 6 lanes and extension to 85 and beyond are expected.

I would not expect to see 585 go to 6 lanes. There simply isn't enough traffic to warrant such a thing. The next thing for 585 will be flyover ramps at I-85.

Its interesting that widening 85 from Anderson to Gossett Rd to 8 lanes ranks higher than widening 85 from Gossett Rd to the NC Line. It seems to me that section would rank higher. Its also interesting that the Anderson-Spartanburg section already has funding for design. That means that we'll likely see construction on that before the Spartanburg/NC Line section.

I would not expect to see 585 go to 6 lanes. There simply isn't enough traffic to warrant such a thing. The next thing for 585 will be flyover ramps at I-85.

Its interesting that widening 85 from Anderson to Gossett Rd to 8 lanes ranks higher than widening 85 from Gossett Rd to the NC Line. It seems to me that section would rank higher. Its also interesting that the Anderson-Spartanburg section already has funding for design. That means that we'll likely see construction on that before the Spartanburg/NC Line section.

585 needs improvements nonetheless. Have you checked out the crumbling California Avenue overpass? I'd also like the freeway landscaped.

Edited by roads-scholar