Spartanburg Long-Range Transportation Plan (2025)

Sparkle City

I think US 29 Alternate was used for Business 85. The complete route stretched from Lyman to Kings Mountain, North Carolina. When Interstate 85 was commissioned, the alternate route was decommissioned. The stretch from Lyman to I-85 (Exit 68) was redesignated as SC-129. The route remains 2 lanes with room on the sides of what was to become a 4 lane divided highway.

• 7 months later...

Saw this on the SCDOT site under construction updates. Apparently a 'Blackstock Road Bridge Project' to enhance parts of North Blackstock (SR-41) and Fairforest (SR-525) Roads was approved in 2007, though as far as I can tell nothing else has been done. Don't know if this is merely an enhancement or new construction. Maybe they want to replace the old overpasses over Business 85 and I-26?

http://dbw.scdot.org/activeprojects/ProjDescription.aspx?PC=48771&C=Spartanburg&TY=24

I'm still hoping for SC 129 to be extended from I-85 to Fairforest Rd. and for West Blackstock to be extended to Fairforest Rd. or Business 85, as others have suggested (earlier in this thread and in the Arcadia Redevelopment thread).

Saw this on the SCDOT site under construction updates. Apparently a 'Blackstock Road Bridge Project' to enhance parts of North Blackstock (SR-41) and Fairforest (SR-525) Roads was approved in 2007, though as far as I can tell nothing else has been done. Don't know if this is merely an enhancement or new construction. Maybe they want to replace the old overpasses over Business 85 and I-26?

http://dbw.scdot.org...artanburg&TY=24

I'm still hoping for SC 129 to be extended from I-85 to Fairforest Rd. and for West Blackstock to be extended to Fairforest Rd. or Business 85, as others have suggested (earlier in this thread and in the Arcadia Redevelopment thread).

Agree. I've advocated this connection for years as it seems to me a no-brainer.

http://dbw.scdot.org...artanburg&TY=24

It sounds like the the at-grade crossing will be replaced with an bridge overpassing the railroad. Such work will require elevating North Blackstock Road, Fairforest Road, Hayne Street, and Fairforest Clevedale Road a couple hundred feet.

The alternative is construct the bridge west using Old Blackstock Road overpassing the railroad. This provides an additional crossing without having to stop for a passing train, and improves safety. The drawback is several residences being affected.

• Like 2

Assuming this project didn't get held up in the SCDOT budget issues of the past few years, they are still in design. Right of way acquisition isn't supposed to start until 2013, and depending on the scope of the project that could take years. The map on the website is misleading, so I'd be interested to know what they are actually planning to do.

And when dealing with Norfolk-Southern rail, you can expect the wait time to increase dramatically.

Best bet would be to call/email the MPO (do a search for SPATS on the County website) and ask someone what's going on. SPATS along with SCDOT determine the priority in which projects are funded and constructed.

• Like 1

OK, found this in the SPATS long-range transportation plan, which is available here: http://spatsmpo.org/bin/dl/LRTP.pdf

From page 89:

Another problem area that needs addressing, which does not show up in the ranking process, is the intersection of North Blackstock Road, Fairforest Road and Hayne Street. A set of railroad tracks are involved in this intersection as well. Traffic signals are located on both sides of the railroad tracks without adequate storage for traffic queues between the signals. Drivers will often make right turns on red and become trapped on the railroad tracks. Railroad preemption of the traffic signal, automatic traffic arms and flashing crossbuck lights and “no right turn on red” signs are in place. The reconstruction and relocation of the intersections near the railroad tracks are needed.

And page 91:

Recommended intersection relocations and improvements....Reconstruction of the North Blackstock Road, Fairforest Road and Hayne Street intersection. Consider all options for closing roadways, relocating

roadways, providing alternate routes or bridging the railroad tracks.

So yes, it looks like the project is not ranked, is many years away, and all options are still on the table.

OK, found this in the SPATS long-range transportation plan, which is available here: http://spatsmpo.org/bin/dl/LRTP.pdf

From page 89:

Another problem area that needs addressing, which does not show up in the ranking process, is the intersection of North Blackstock Road, Fairforest Road and Hayne Street. A set of railroad tracks are involved in this intersection as well. Traffic signals are located on both sides of the railroad tracks without adequate storage for traffic queues between the signals. Drivers will often make right turns on red and become trapped on the railroad tracks. Railroad preemption of the traffic signal, automatic traffic arms and flashing crossbuck lights and “no right turn on red” signs are in place. The reconstruction and relocation of the intersections near the railroad tracks are needed.

And page 91:

Recommended intersection relocations and improvements....Reconstruction of the North Blackstock Road, Fairforest Road and Hayne Street intersection. Consider all options for closing roadways, relocating

roadways, providing alternate routes or bridging the railroad tracks.

So yes, it looks like the project is not ranked, is many years away, and all options are still on the table.

I grew up in Fairforest and I'm very familiar with this intersection. Even years ago it was a problem, primarily due to the railroad tracks and the geometry of the roads. When a train comes through, which is often, the traffic backs up in FIVE different directions!

• 1 month later...

This is sort of related to our discussion on the Rail Trail thread. Here is a study (PDF) on a proposed "Road Diet" of Daniel Morgan Avenue. It recommends narrowing the section from John B. White Blvd to W. Main to 3 lanes (on lane each way + turn median) and add a 2-way bike path on one side, separated by a landscaped median (see cross-section below). The rest of DMA (W Main to Pine) would just be restriped with typical 4-foot bike lanes on each side (due to funding constraints).

post-24605-0-45653900-1335896650_thumb.j

I like the idea in general, but I'm concerned about the lack of on-street parking for DMA in the core of downtown. This is a perfect opportunity to add that. You don't even necessarily need dedicated bike lanes in the core of downtown if you have a complete, low-speed, urban street.

I think Spartanburg is getting a little out of hand when it comes to slapping down bike lanes wherever possible. Then you end up with too-narrow bike lanes where you're riding in the gutter/drain grates, or a mess like Broad Street. There needs to be more consideration of all uses of a street. And I'm a cyclist.

• Like 1

I agree 100%. Bike lanes and a path on Daniel Morgan Ave are a great idea, but in the core area, which I would define as being located between Broad Street and Church Street, should have on street parking and no bike lanes. The 'sharrow' symbol could be used if that is a concern. There is a high demand for parking in that area, and I think more on-street parking would be a good solution in addition to serving as a traffic coming measure.

Overall I think this is great news :shades:

• Like 1

Another way to improve Daniel Morgan Ave. in my opinion would be to trim or remove the trees that have grown up where it curves around behind the county courthouse. This would open up the view of the remaining portion of the Southern Railway passenger terminal, that now houses the Hub City railroad museum. Plans are underway to locate a donated caboose there as well. I realize that removing greenery is not usually desirable, and doing so may increase the perceived noise from the trains that still run below this curve, but I think in this case it would really open up the view of one of the city's historic buildings.

• 5 weeks later...

Here is an interesting blog post the touches on the Daniel Morgan Ave road diet. A Health Impact Assessment was completed as part of the process. HIA's are a powerful tool that make the connection between the way we construct our built environment to people's overall health- specifically how a project would improve the situation. Apparently Spartanburg was one of the first communities in South Carolina to complete one of these.

http://palmettocycling.blogspot.com/2012/05/health-impact-assessment-spartanburg.html

• 2 months later...

There is an interesting article in the Herald-Journal today about Spartanburg County's 14 municipalities' and how they are using their portion of the $25 road fee. Each town gets an allotment of the annual fee charged to vehicle owners. My guess is that it's based on population. The most interesting thing is that it doesn't have to be used for resurfacing alone.

Cities can spend the road fee funds on repaving or restriping roads, adding bike lanes, improving intersections, realigning or widening roads[...]. The funds also can be used for other projects including, improving drainage, repairing or replacing bridges, adding speed humps or other traffic calmers.

Based on that information, Spartanburg County towns are in a unique position to follow the city of Spartanburg's lead with its project to do a road diet on West Main St. Cowpens and Landrum are both installing new sidewalks, for example. Granted, the money being allocated is not a significant amount in terms of making substantial improvements, but if the towns can leverage grant funds or other partnering opportunities there could be some pretty cool projects out there to make the towns a little better for pedestrians and bicycles.

http://www.goupstate.com/article/20120819/ARTICLES/208191030/1083/ARTICLES?Title=Spartanburg-County-municipalities-bank-2-17-million-in-road-fee-funds

• 4 months later...

Not sure where to post this, but this topic seems appropriate.  I know there were discussions in the past about a road to connect Southport Road with a small neighborhood (and now some relatively new public housing) isolated by railroad tracks.  And I think it fell through originally?  Well, I drove by that area, and it appears that it's being built. (now that the landfill is capped?)  This is really under-the-radar; I hadn't heard anything about it happening.  Here it is:

post-24605-0-38693900-1355964139_thumb.j

I assume it will go something like this.

• 2 weeks later...

I drive by this new road everyday on the way to work. There is new public housing adjacent to this new road behind the old Pages Lake. The housing in my opinion has easier access off South Avenue. If you put a traffic light where that new roads enters Southport Rd., you're really going to gum up the traffic as many folks use that road to get around downtown to the west side and beyond.

• 1 month later...

There's an article today about the dangerous intersection at the railroad tracks in Fairforest.  They're going to adjust the sensors so people don't get stranded on the tracks as often.  That's just a temporary fix, of course.  A bridge over the tracks would be ideal, but at an estimated cost of $15 million, they don't have the money (SCDOT doesn't have enough money? What a surprise!).  So they're going to have to ghetto-rig some less effective solution.  They mention routing N Blackstock traffic through Church Street.  Any thoughts?

Herald-Journal article

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

SPATS will tonight conduct the first of two public hearings to discuss the proposed widening of Interstate 85 between exit 80 and exit 96 in Spartanburg and Cherokee counties.  This segment of I-85 is substandard and an upgrade is long overdue.  I am also pleased to see that the atrocious SC-110 (Battleground Road) interchange will be rebuilt as part of this project.

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Went to a Country Club Road presentation, where plans were shown based on the latest public input.  This road project is a LONG process, with many more steps to go.  The projected start of construction is Fall 2019. :blink:

Anyway, here are a few photos of the plan.  It looks really good.  Multi-use path on one side and sidewalk on other the whole way, ped-xings w/refuges every quarter-mile (some HAWK signals, maybe).  First is a rendering looking from the Rail Trail toward Pine, then the Pine intersection, then a neighborhood entrance closer to Glendale.  I've got more pics if you want to see more sections.

CCrenderRT.thumb.JPG.79aaa15f0f26da28e66

CC-Pine.JPG.f52e593f2339bc355d75e83da914

CC-Bagwell.JPG.04c1eea8de065312904a287e9

roads-scholar, the reaction was quite positive. This has been a very inclusive process, as I understand it. They met with neighborhood associations, property owners, and community organizations (like Partners for Active Living) to form the plan. The plan tries to preserve as many large trees as possible, which addressed a concern raised. There were of course a few people who still think trails make property values go down or attract shady characters (one woman was worried how it would affect selling her house, and a guy on the planning team was kind of surprised and explained that her property would probably be MORE valuable/sell-able with a trail coming), but they're in the minority. There were about 70 people at the meeting, and I'd say the average age was like 60-65.  I guess a lot of older people live over there.

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

A list of quite a few new roadway projects was published in the HJ:

https://www.goupstate.com/news/20190514/flush-with-funds-spartanburg-county-to-tackle-more-road-improvements

https://www.goupstate.com/news/20190514/11-planned-spartanburg-county-road-projects

‒ Double Branch Road intersection, widening, $2.2 million. The angle will be corrected at the intersection of Double Branch Road and Highway 110 and two culverts will be replaced. About 3 miles of Double Branch Road from Highway 110 north of Cowpens to Highway 221 will be widened.

‒ Kist Road bridge replacement, widening, $2.6 million. The Kist Road Bridge at Abner’s Creek will be replaced. It is about seven miles southeast of Greer. The deck, showing signs of wear due to massive truck traffic, will be replaced with a 90-foot long single span. About 3 miles of Kist Road from Highway 101 to Abner Creek Road will be widened.

‒ Melvin Hill Road widening, $2.7 million. About 5 miles of the road from Prison Camp Road near Interstate 26 to Highway 9 near the North Carolina line will be widened.

‒ Seay Road widening, $2.25 million. Nearly 2 miles of the road from Hanging Rock Road to Highway 9 will be extended from 16 feet to 24 feet.

‒ Snow Road reclamation, widening, $400,000. Nearly a mile of the road, from Abner Creek Road to Highway 101, will be restored and widened.

These are the four roads slated for future funding through 2024:

‒ Davis Road intersection, widening, $1.65 million. Sight for drivers will be improved at the intersection of Davis Road and Highway 417. A 2.4-mile stretch of Davis Road will also be widened from Highway 417 to the Highway 101.

‒ Lightwood Knot Road intersection, widening, $6.2 million. The intersection at Reidville Sharon Road will be upgraded to improve traffic flow. About 4 miles of Lightwood Knot Road from Highway 417 to Reidville Road will be widened.

‒ Victor Hill Road widening, $2.55 million. The road, which starts at J. Verne Smith Parkway and Danzler Road in the Greer area, will be widened.

‒ Zion Hill Road intersection, $1 million. The four-way stop at the intersection of Sloans Grove Road will be replaced with a roundabout.