Downtown Columbia Living

Spartan

I checked with the former owner of the GROW Cafe building today. He said it was sold to somebody out of North Carolina and that there is a current tenant in it. I bet you could find some interesting space in Olympia, though. The suggestion about North Main is cool, too. I livejust off North Main and there is some vacant former retail space on North Main a few blocks North of Sunset Drive. That could make some interesting live/work space.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 6 months later...

a birdie told me that Capitol Places has another building under contract downtown to convert to more condos. does anyone know about this?

i used to live in one of their buildings and have gotten to know them pretty well. They have a new project they are working on that could be their largest yet they said (bigger than Barringer). They really did not give too much info but seemed to be extremely excited and like the chances of making it happen although it would be about 2 years away before completed.

i used to live in one of their buildings and have gotten to know them pretty well. They have a new project they are working on that could be their largest yet they said (bigger than Barringer). They really did not give too much info but seemed to be extremely excited and like the chances of making it happen although it would be about 2 years away before completed.

Bigger than Barringer? A downtown highrise?

I keep seeing construction workers going in and out of Number 1 Main. Could this be related?

Columbia needs to put a monument up of the Capitol Places developer. He is responsible for 85% of the positive developments on Main in overe a decade.

I agree! I met him a few years ago and he was genuinely excited about turning Columbia's downtown area in the next great thing. As far as I can tell, he truely loves Columbia and is working hard to improve it. Besides just development, he is also active in the downtown community. They're also a major sponor of that new downtown radio station (I forget the number) that broadcasts from the Barringer building (which they own).

Yeah. They are really supportive of downtown living in addition to all the development efforts. The guy really should get some props! :)

The station is WXRY 99.3. It's by far the best station in Columbia... kind of walks the line between adult alternative/modern rock/college rock. The best part is... it's not owned by a conglomerate, so it's *real* radio!!

I was watching the December 14, 2005 City Council meeting on cable channel 2 and Tom Prioreishi (sp) with Capitol Places was making a request about the 2nd phase of Main Street's streetscaping, and in his presentation he said a large sculpture with a water feature is going to be constructed on Boyd Plaza (in front of Columbia Museum of art). The sculpture is going to be a private donation. This should be very nice. It's supposed to happen sometime this year.

I was in a meeting today and the host of the meeting said he had been told it was okay for him to announce Capitol Places' next project. I forget the name of the building, but they have purchased the building at Lady and Marion where Palmetto Imaging is on the ground floor, and will be converting it to condos. I am so glad. I have looked at that building for so long and thought how handsome it would be with some uplifting exterior renovation. At the same meeting, the executive director of the Columbia Development Corporation said the Kline development at Huger and Gervais is going to happen (see today's front page of The State) and that in the next year we are going to see a big wave of announcements for new mixed-use developments in the city center. He said developers from out of state have noted Columbia's emergence and are ready to move in and take advantage of a market with plenty of urban land available with a market hungry for downtown living opportunities.

I was in a meeting today and the host of the meeting said he had been told it was okay for him to announce Capitol Places' next project. I forget the name of the building, but they have purchased the building at Lady and Marion where Palmetto Imaging is on the ground floor, and will be converting it to condos. I am so glad. I have looked at that building for so long and thought how handsome it would be with some uplifting exterior renovation. At the same meeting, the executive director of the Columbia Development Corporation said the Kline development at Huger and Gervais is going to happen (see today's front page of The State) and that in the next year we are going to see a big wave of announcements for new mixed-use developments in the city center. He said developers from out of state have noted Columbia's emergence and are ready to move in and take advantage of a market with plenty of urban land available with a market hungry for downtown living opportunities.

They have since told me about the building. I think it used to be the PMS HQ and has a lot of potential. They plan to redo the whole outside and the condos will have floor to ceiling windows and some cool features. It is under contract and they are doing due dillegence, but if they get it that would be cool. It is at just over 100,000 sq ft.

Archived