Downtown Columbia Living

Spartan

Nice! That's cool news. Let me make sure I'm picturing the right one... Is it the one with Roly Poly?

nope

corner of Marion and Lady. On Marion it is across from a church and lady st across from that keenan building.

older looking building with almost a pink tint and really old windows. It "L"'s around a one story building. I believe it is 7 or 8 stories.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

nope

corner of Marion and Lady. On Marion it is across from a church and lady st across from that keenan building.

older looking building with almost a pink tint and really old windows. It "L"'s around a one story building. I believe it is 7 or 8 stories.

A couple of years ago I used to be a runner at a Nexsen Pruet and had to make a delivery to that building. The elevator in that place made me a little nervous. But it should be a cool project.

He said developers from out of state have noted Columbia's emergence and are ready to move in and take advantage of a market with plenty of urban land available with a market hungry for downtown living opportunities.

Like I've said before. I knew it was only a matter of time before the Columbia market was discovered. It fits the "new urbanism" formula for success. Mid-sized city, diverse, state govt, stable economy, high quality of life, highly educated population, and College town, with a huge investment going up at the city core (Innovista). The way the south is growing it is inevitable. I still find it funny that people only think that this type of development will only happen in certain cities in the south and not others? ah-choo North Carolinians? :D

Speaking of the tarheel state so will Cola's core start spring up like CLT with these new condos coming?

I was in a meeting today and the host of the meeting said he had been told it was okay for him to announce Capitol Places' next project. I forget the name of the building, but they have purchased the building at Lady and Marion where Palmetto Imaging is on the ground floor, and will be converting it to condos. I am so glad. I have looked at that building for so long and thought how handsome it would be with some uplifting exterior renovation. At the same meeting, the executive director of the Columbia Development Corporation said the Kline development at Huger and Gervais is going to happen (see today's front page of The State) and that in the next year we are going to see a big wave of announcements for new mixed-use developments in the city center. He said developers from out of state have noted Columbia's emergence and are ready to move in and take advantage of a market with plenty of urban land available with a market hungry for downtown living opportunities.

Not surprised at all; I knew it would only be a matter of time. In particular, the Vista is still ripe for development. While exploring the area on Sunday, I was reminded of how big the district really is. Renaissance Plaza is coming along nicely, the streetscaping along Lady is coming along (although the street still looks like a war zone), etc.

I'm just waiting for the Bull Street project to break ground. That one by itself is going to be BIG for Columbia.

nope

Great location ugly building. Sounds like they have some plans to make it better, which i am sure they will

Well, according to the Colliers Keenan report near the end of last year, Columbia absorbed a good bit of new office space (i.e., Meridian). So that, coupled with new downtown residential projects, would seem to pretty much ensure some new office space downtown. I, too, would like to see a new tallest, with great architectural design and NON-BOXY! ;)

Well the good thing for Columbia is that it's all now just starting, and other people outside of the area are honning into what "who's who" list have noted about the area as well! It's only a matter of time before markets get flooded in other areas and people realize hey there is a similar sized city that has just as much too offer! Who knows with Canalside, Steel Kiline, Bull Street, Innovista all going in DT or relatively close by man this area is set to blow up! Hopefully the area can continue to increase its density and learn from the ATL's, CLT's, & RDU's. But a new tall/signature building would be great! I'd like to see something with the Capitol dome shape on top!

Well the good thing for Columbia is that it's all now just starting, and other people outside of the area are honning into what "who's who" list have noted about the area as well! It's only a matter of time before markets get flooded in other areas and people realize hey there is a similar sized city that has just as much too offer! Who knows with Canalside, Steel Kiline, Bull Street, Innovista all going in DT or relatively close by man this area is set to blow up! Hopefully the area can continue to increase its density and learn from the ATL's, CLT's, & RDU's. But a new tall/signature building would be great! I'd like to see something with the Capitol dome shape on top!

You should be an architect!

I was in a meeting today and the host of the meeting said he had been told it was okay for him to announce Capitol Places' next project. I forget the name of the building, but they have purchased the building at Lady and Marion where Palmetto Imaging is on the ground floor, and will be converting it to condos. I am so glad. I have looked at that building for so long and thought how handsome it would be with some uplifting exterior renovation. At the same meeting, the executive director of the Columbia Development Corporation said the Kline development at Huger and Gervais is going to happen (see today's front page of The State) and that in the next year we are going to see a big wave of announcements for new mixed-use developments in the city center. He said developers from out of state have noted Columbia's emergence and are ready to move in and take advantage of a market with plenty of urban land available with a market hungry for downtown living opportunities.

looks like residential is getting ready to turn the corner in Columbia. What a great thing for the city to help bring a really vibrant area

New pictures of the construction of Barringer Building is on mashburns website

http://www.mashburnconstruction.com/framelinks.htm

looks to be moving along nicley

Thanks for providing that link. The construction on 1520 Main is coming along nicely as well.

What type of work exactly is this company doing on the Columbia Canal? Will it be part of the Canal Front project?

Columbia's biggest advantage is the available land in/surrounding downtown. That will ensure infill and hopefully connectivity. Man, if I had a few thousand to throw around, I'd try to get in on Olympia. That's definitely the next area to look out for in Columbia.

I was noticing that today. It's so much undeveloped land avail in downtown Columbia.Columbia can really take advantage of that and learn from Atl and Charlotte mistakes.Charlotte and Atl will definetly be land locked in the next 5-10yrs.We can have a urban core like no Southern City .Most of the big name southern cities arent urban. And when i say urban i mean as far as a northern urban level were everything connects and is in walking distance.

• 1 month later...

Can anyone tell me more about Claire Tower apartments? Has anyone here lived there or know someone who has?

I understand they were nicely renovated several years ago, but I haven't actually seen them myself. They are in a great location, within walking distance of USC, Main Street, the Vista and Five Points.

Thanks for the responses. :) The location was what really attracted me to Claire Tower. It seems to be close to pretty much everything, so maybe.

Actually I'm a grad student, but will probably be working part-time as well, so I'm not sure if a place that is full of college students is a good thing. Does anyone know of any other apartment complexes in a good location that might be worth checking out?

Thanks for the responses. :) The location was what really attracted me to Claire Tower. It seems to be close to pretty much everything, so maybe.

Actually I'm a grad student, but will probably be working part-time as well, so I'm not sure if a place that is full of college students is a good thing. Does anyone know of any other apartment complexes in a good location that might be worth checking out?

You may want to check out Capitol Places or Main Street lofts. They are a good bit more expensive than Claire Towers I believe but also are very nicely kept and I believe young professional crowd. If those are too expensive you may want to check out house rentals.

Archived