Computer Talk

M. Brown

I just wanted to start a thread on the latest and greatest on the computers. If you a computer junky you would most likely enjoy this thread. Post what kind of system you have.

My PC

Athlon64 3500+ winchester core (2.21Ghz)

MSI Neo4 Platinum Ultra

2x512MB (1GB of Dual Channel) Corsair XMS (stock timing)

WD 160GB 7200RPMs 8mg

MSI NX6600 (non gt unfortunately)

Memorex DVD+/-RW Dual Layer CD-RW

19inch Samsung SyncMaster 955DF

Altec Lansing 2.1 Speakers

I plan on upgrading my video card this summer to a 6800gt which will be much better than my current video card. And hopefully around Christmas I will get myself a 4400 AthlonX2 which is dual core for those of you who don't know.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My Machine was once state-of-the art ;)

-My PC-

Pentium4 1.4Ghz

512 MB Rambus (RDRAM) --never buy this stuff. it sucks majorly.

400Mhz bus

64 MB NVIDIA GeForce4 MX

SoundBlaster Live! 4.1 surround

TDK CD-RW (write speed:16x)-- oh yes, cower in fear of this one

This is probably slightly in the lower half of the average machine these days. People now can get about twice as much power as I have for about half the money I paid for my machine. Hah. When I first told people about "1.4Ghz" I was often accused of overclocking! :)

My goal for my next computer is either a 64bit Athlon with Longhorn (after it comes out) or one of those Power Macs or iBook. Mac OS X Tiger is pretty sweet. My new computer plans have been pushed back a couple of years though, so I have PLENTY of time to figure things out.

Get the new Athlons X2. They are dual core. They should be coming out in June or July. Dual Core is basically two cpu in one. Note: It does double the speed. It can just process two threads at the same time and by doing that making this smoother and faster especially when more multithreaded software comes about. There are some multithread apps already and some games but not that many. Intel has there dual cores also. I think they are going to drop the whole P4 line to start producing Pentium Ds which are dual core. They are coming out soon than the X2s but the X2s are still better than the Pentium Ds. The Pentium Ds have the smithfield core which is just two precotts cores put together and the prescott cores is the core that ruined Intel. They are notorious for overheating. And the A64s kicked the P4s all over the floor except in SOME video encoding apps. But the X2 will take that segment away from Intel as well.

Oh and before the system I have now I had a P4 2.4BGhz (Northwood core which were nice chips at the time before the Athlon64 came out) and I was overclocking it to 2.8Ghz. It was nice. Before that I had a Athlon 1700XP.

get ready for super high-tech!

i am still using my beige Apple Power PC G3.

running Mac OS X 10.2.6

300 Mhz G3

256 MB RAM

built in ATI video card that can capture analog video (the original reason i bought this computer.)

additional ATI video card that also has AV in/out

floppy drive (the last mac to include a floppy drive)

100 MB zip drive (remember that fad?)

18 gig ultra scsi hd (also the last mac to have built-in scsi)

70 gig ata hd

additional ethernet pci card because the built-in ethernet got fried

usb pci card

when i bought this in 1998, it was the middle power mac in the lineup. $2400!

:silly:

Dell Dimension 8300

3.00 gigahertz Intel Pentium 4

200 GB hard drive

1 GB RAM

Windows XP Pro Service Pack 2

19" Dell Flat Panel 1901

128MB DDR ATI Radeon 9800 video graphics card

Logitech by Dell Wireless Keyboard/Mouse

Altec Lansing 5.1 surround Sound speakers

Old computer

----------------

Intel Pentium III 550MHz

256MB ram

8GB and 10GB hdd

Matrox G400 video card

17" CRT monitor

New Computer

-----------------

Dual AMD Opteron 1.6GHz

1GB PC3200 ECC and registered ram (4x256mb sticks, running in 128 bit mode, shared memory)

Two 80GB hard disks in RAID 0 array

Some generic 128MB video card (forget the brand)

19" LCD Monitor

I have Ubuntu Linux on the old computer, and it runs quite nice despite the relatively antiquated hardware. Ubuntu is based on Debian, and offers support for ReiserFS (among others). I have both hard drives partitioned up and formatted using ReiserFS.

Right now I have Windows XP Professional on the new computer, but I plan to change to a 64 bit compilation of Linux. I tried Windows XP64, but it needs a fair bit of refinement before I'll trust it. As far as Windows is concerned, I prefer 2000 over XP, but 2000 would not install initially due to a RAID driver incompatibility.

I have Ubuntu Linux on the old computer, and it runs quite nice despite the relatively antiquated hardware. Ubuntu is based on Debian, and offers support for ReiserFS (among others). I have both hard drives partitioned up and formatted using ReiserFS.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i have heard good things about that distribution. i used the ppc version of debian several years ago and liked it.

Don't know all the specifics, but here's what I do know:

My computer's a Compaq.

120 GB hard drive

CD Writer/DVD Rom Combo

An expansion Bay

Windows XP Student and Teacher Ed.

JBL Platinum Series Speakers

Protable Floppy drive (bought that separately)

17" CRT monitor

Canon Pixma Printer (good, but cheap)

• 3 weeks later...

Oh My Goodness.  Apple has been keeping a HUGE secret.  Mac OSX as always been compatible with Intel, and AMD processors I would assume which are currently way better than Intel processors from day 1!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

it is pretty cool that the rumors turned out to be true. any machead knows that darwin, which is the core of mac os x has always been developed for the x86 architecture along side the power pc architecture, but i think the fact that they also have been developing the entire os for x86 has surprised a lot of people.

Thats cool and all but if i bought i mac, i wouldnt screw it up with windows.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Mac most likely has just as many holes and is just as virus vuneralbe as windows. As somebody pointed on from Anandtech, the reason why there arent any viruses and spyware for Macs is becuase nobody writes any for Macs. People who write viruses dont want to make viruses for an OS that only has 2 or 5% of the market. As soon as Mac starts gaining market share you are going to see a lot more viruses and spyware for macs and we will probably find that macs actually has more holes than windows ;)

Archived