Odd Ga Landmarks

ironchapman

I have heard about some interesting stories about landmarks in Georgia.

Some Interesting Ones:

The "Tree That Owns Itself" in Athens

A set of stones with inscriptions in many different languages on them (can't remember the name) outside of Elberton, I believe.

The "Big Chicken" (One of my personal favorites!) in Marietta

Any other interesting ones?

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Best historical marker in the state, by far, is outside of Lumber City between there and Jacksonville, in Telfair County. It's the marker denoting the "World Record Bass" caught near the area some years ago.

I just think the idea of a historical marker commemorating a bass is funny.

Sounds interesing, I'll have to go visit it it sometime.

What about that pub in Savannah that pirates used to visit. I've been to it. It's an odd feeling to be there, especially since it has two known secret passages (one used for abduction of unknowing sailors and one whose use is unknown)that have been discovered. It's kind of scary, really.

I've always wondered how and if places verfy these claims.

Tifton is a pretty clean town overall I'd say. 82 may not the best example of this, but get over to Love Ave and Main St where the downtown is, and also to Fulwood park and that surrounding neighborhood. Its all pretty tidy :)

Tifton has a very nice Main St. I would highly reccomend checking it out if you get the chance.

Archived