New MARTA Station Ideas

ironchapman

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It seems that MARTA doesn't cover everywhere people need to go in Atlanta.

Just curious, but any ideas for a new MARTA Station?

I always thought there should be one near Turner Feild.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

One at Turner Field would be great. It would definitely help with the parking situation.

There has been one proposed for 'Peachtree Point' which is north of Arts Center, also as part of the Belt Line studies, 4 new stations are proposed - one being 'Cabbagetown/Auburn Ave'. In my view - MARTA stations within the city should be no further than 1 mile, to promote more pedestrian movement & TOD oriented developments.

Also - adding a station for Turner is unlikely, because the rail isn't close enough. Where the rail is closest to Turner Stadium is where there is a station - Georgia State. That really isn't a bad walk from that MARTA station. Otherwise - the C Loop may provide direct access to the stadium.

I propose they put a MARTA line that goes around Atlanta.

For Example, the One I Came Up With:

-From Buckhead Station to Fulton Co. Arpt. (Segment One)

-From Fulton Co. Arpt. to East Point (Segment Two)

-From East Point to Inman Park (Segment Three)

The North Line covers the important ones from there.

Also, I would extend the Proctor Creek Line (Bankhead Station) to Segment One.

I think that the Belt Line will be a good first step in making urban rail in Atlanta function as urban mass transit. At this point it's mainly useful as a commuter rail. With the possible exception of the two or three main stops in Midtown, and the few most central stops in either direction on the East-West line, MARTA just doesn't stop in places with residential density high enough to function as a subway system the way more urban cities' systems do. Even the fact that it follows Peachtree so closely is a shame, because let's face the facts, Peachtree St. is mainly a commercial 9-5 office park, not the wonderful urban boulevard Atlanta wants it to be. There are far more desirable destinations in Midtown on the parallel north-south streets (Piedmont, Myrtle), and the residential neighborhoods as far east as Va-Highland are far more vibrant and IMO more capable of sustaining walkable public transit.

That said, I'd love to see light rail run the length of Ponce and up Moreland or N. Highland. It's hard to imagine how it would fit in physically, but those streets cut through the neighborhoods that I think would support rail transit the best.

As for MARTA, it'd be great to see it realize its proper place as glorified commuter rail and expand up Ga 400 to Windward already.

It would be nice to have street cars again.

What about ones along:

-Peachtree St. & Road (from Downtown thru Buckhead)

-Piedmont Ave.

-North Ave. & Ponce de Leon Ave

-Memorial Dr. to East Lake Area

-One in Midtown (like 14th or 10th St.)

-And/or one that will take people to Turner Field and Grant Park

It would be nice to have street cars again.

What about ones along:

-Peachtree St. & Road (from Downtown thru Buckhead)

-Piedmont Ave.

-North Ave. & Ponce de Leon Ave

-Memorial Dr. to East Lake Area

-One in Midtown (like 14th or 10th St.)

-And/or one that will take people to Turner Feild and Grant Park

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Peachtree St streetcar is planned & will hopefully be built privately.

MARTA has some plans for an express bus service plan for Memorial Dr & Ponce and Moreland which would hopefully transition to streetcar. Otherwise I have heard some mentinioning of a streetcar on Memorial Dr but have never verified what if any plans are, but since I live near Memorial Dr - I would love one.

The Turner Field / Grant Park route sounds like it corresponds with the proposed C Loop.

But I agree - I would love more streetcars in Atlanta, you can also add a line along Boulevard & Monroe Dr and Piedmont.

How about the another new short more line to Six Flags Over GA? I always thought about that and it's would be easy for people to ride right there instead stopping at the west last end station, then taking a bus to there. That's kinda waste time. What ya think? :)

The only problem is, Cobb County isn't too big a fan of MARTA. They're afraid the "bad element" will come in.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hmm, I wish Atlanta have something to do to make the "bad element" go away and changing their some good ways. I hope they will figure it out somehow in good way for the future. <_<

Atlanta is on the rise again. People are moving back intown. We've gotten rid of Bill Campbell. His successor, Shirley Franklin, is doing a nice job as mayor, especially at repairing some of Campbell's messes. She may not be Hartsfield or Allen, but she is a pretty good mayor.

Maybe she can help get MARTA rolling and useful again. We need more lines.

It is a good thing she supports the Beltline.

Forgot about the sales tax. Yep, I heard those counties didn't want to pay it.

I wouldn't mind paying it if the MARTA lines were efficient enough in my county (Douglas).

At least ATL isn't as bad as it was several years ago.

The Beltline is actually in the planning process, or pretty close to it. Atlanta officials say it could happen later this decade.

Heh Heh...I bet SHerman is rolling over in his grave right now at the sight of the city he once burned. :P

• 4 weeks later...

They actually one a west extension planned that would take MARTA to six flags.  They aren't entirely sure what technology they are going to use (heavy rail, LRT, BRT) or how to fund it.  But it is purposed.

I don't think this is nearly as true as it was 10 years ago. I think the reason Cobb and Gwinnett haven't joined MARTA is the 1% sales tax they would have to pay in order to join the system.

Look at the purposed BRT line from midtown, I haven't heard a lot complaints... because someone else is paying for it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

While the 'bad element' preception the Cobb/Gwinnett had for MARTA during its inception may have dimishned, that stigma has still crippled the transit system.

I think Atlanta should create like a borough system, similar to New York, but more, smaller ones. Put a huge MARTA Station in each one and we would set. With this, an even more rapid busline that would be in constant transition to and from the rail stations.

SUBWAYS would be nice. for a little bit more "Urbanness" i

I wish they would build stations at Roswell, Northpoint and Windward. I would love to be able to part at Windward and take a train down to the Arts Center Station for the arts or to the Civic Center for the Centennial Olympic Park or all the way to the airport.

Right now I'm about 17 miles north of the North Springs Station and it takes me almost 45 minutes to get to the North Springs Station from my home. I'm glad that the people of North Fulton aren't afraid of Marta. I guess most of the citizens here are sick of the traffic. If I could find a condo the size of my home for the price I paid in the city center I would move to the CBD, Midtown or Buckhead in a heartbeat.

If you could FIND a home in town that is. I've heard it's real estate prices have skyrocketed thanks to all the demand. I think MARTA has a line planned to go up to Roswell, etc. in the future. I think the westside extension is coming first though. And Procter Creek is planned for another station, plus there was supposed to be another spur from the east line with two stations, just like proctor creek, in addition to one going to Hapeville. MARTA could've been such a great system, but thanks to Cobb and Gwinnett, it's banned from the biggest 'burbs. I hope those counties know that they won't keep crime out by refusing MARTA. Crime is everywhere, sadly. Gwinnett and Cobb too. The idea that subways bring crime is rather ridiculous to me.

Lady Celeste, you could easily find a place in the city. Midtown has condo's from the 120's available. The key phrase in your post is "the same size as my house". What you need to realize, is that you won't be spending as much time in your home as you do in the burbs. There are so many things to do in the city. Not to mention the money you save in gas by not needing to drive EVERYWHERE. It's true that you will give up some space to live in the heart of it all, but IMO the tradeoffs are definately worth it.

• 1 year later...

I would like to see MARTA bring back the original Emory line proposal (not sure if that is what it was called). The people in North Druid Hills were so vocally against it MARTA nixed the line.

I may have some of the stations wrong but I believe that there would have been six stations: 1. Druid Hills, 2. Emory, 3. North DeKalb, 4. Clarkston, 5. Stone Mountain Village and 6. Stone Mountain Park.

When on the East Line notice right before you pull into Eastlake station (going east) how the rail lifts high above the train tracks below. That was where they made accommodations for the line when they build it back in the 70's. They had planned that line from the very beginning.

BRING IT BACK!

There are numerous locations where new stations are needed. I remember in the mid '90s, a private company wanted to build a maglev line from the Georgia State Station to Turner Field, then on to the West End Station. The proposal got hung up in legal matters, and died on the vine.

Archived