Pittsburgh makes a great impression as host.

PghUSA

The North American Debut of the BMW 3S . . . it all begins in the western suburbs of Pittsburgh:

20050506dsbmwbeaverrun050_450.jpg

100 journalists flew into Pittsburgh this week for the North American Premier of the new BMW 3Series Sedan at the BeaverRun Test Track just north of the Airport, the official hotel for the event was on the Allegheny River--in the heart of the city's cultural district--with views of Heinz Field, the best ballpark in the world (according to ESPN) PNC Park, and the Andy Warhol Gallery. The event also included a 300 mile gaunt through the metro's countryside--such outlying towns as Harlandsburg and Chickora.

Besides coming to test drive probably the best car to be put on the market, the journalists were equally impressed with the implosion of their misguided stereotypes of Pittsburgh's rep.

Pittsburgh Post-Gazette:

Some BMW officials admitted that holding an event in Pittsburgh was a bit of a risk, given that most car journalists are used to going to more glamorous West Coast or Southern locales for such events. But Pittsburgh turned out to be a hit with many of the out-of-towners.

"I went out last night and as I walked around, looked at the views and crossed the bridges, I realized I could have been in Europe,'' said Jerry Garrett, a contributing editor with Car & Driver magazine. "It just has this quaint, Old World kind of feeling with a lot of charm."

James Javier, here from New York with the bmwnation.com Web site, said he thought he would see "a small, small city. But I was kind of stunned. It's pretty big, and there's an awful lot of things happening down where the rivers meet."

The only thing many of them said they regretted was not being able to see a Pirates game in the ballpark -- most were staying at the Renaissance Pittsburgh Hotel, on the opposite end of the Roberto Clemente Bridge from PNC Park.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05126/499931.stm

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived