Another GV Highrise Announced

gs3

Another new highrise has been announced for Downtown Greenville. It's suppose to be 14 floors and will be located at the corner of Main and Broad (this is the empty corner at Peace Center / Greenville News / City Hall. Being developed by Holmes Smith Developments and will have retail / office / condos.

http://www.greenvilleonline.com/news/2005/...05050563948.htm

Guys, I gotta say, Downtown GV is tranforming rapidly. Anyone who visited as little as a year ago, needs to check it out again. Amazing! I've lived in much larger cities and never seen such a rapid transformation of a city. :)

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I want to add to that this one is being designed by MCA Architects and so my guess is it is not the 14 story building that Bob ellis said he was working on.

Also, the article mentions that the Pinnacle will 14. Not sure if they decided to go taller if if that is a mistake, but it would be great if the pinnacle was 14.

There was a short piece on the 11:00PM WYFF Channel 4 News last night about the new Federal Court House.

It didn't tell us much more than we already knew (that the selection was down to one of 3 sites and that a decision would be made within the next 30 days).

Looking forward to a decision. I wonder what the chances are that it will be built on the gateway site. Regardless, once the decision is made, that should open the door for commercial development to take place on the other two sites.

Other than the Gateway site, the other two sites are the Leatherwood Parking Lot and a site near the post office in Washington St.

I think Washington street would be great because it could help rejuvante that part of downtown.

Other than the Gateway site, the other two sites are the Leatherwood Parking Lot and a site near the post office in Washington St.

I think Washington street would be great because it could help rejuvante that part of downtown.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Actually, I've also heard that they are looking at a site somewhere near or on Reedy View Street, which would put it very close to the Camperdown condos. :)

I'm surprised that they would have scrapped the Reedy View site. I haven't heard otherwise. Oh well! :P Out of the other three, I would think that the Leatherwood parking lot will demand preference. It is a great location both within the city and within proximity to the Federal Building on Washington St. Also, a parking facility, although initially planned to be built for the Federal Courthouse only, might be considered able to serve more than one building.

The Gateway site, if properly utilized, would make a close second choice. I know a year or so ago they had seriously looked at W. Washington Street, but that option may not be as strong a candidate currently.

The Gateway site, if properly utilized, would make a close second choice.  I know a year or so ago they had seriously looked at W. Washington Street, but that option may not be as strong a candidate currently.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ya that is near where they werre going to build that inner city school, and look at the environmental problems they are having with the site. Would have them to choose Washington and run into the same issues.

A article in GSA Business today says that they showed what the building will look like at the announcement on wednesday. Can anybody here get a image of that rendering?

A article in GSA Business today says that they showed what the building will look like at the announcement on wednesday.  Can anybody here get a image of that rendering?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm not sure they could show a rendering of what the building would look like until they have picked a site for it as the footprint of the building would ultimately depend in part on the site. However, if anyone does have a rendering, I'd love to see it too :)

I read in the greenville news that bank of america might be thinking of building something new downtown after their lease ends. They may build something grand. :rolleyes:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Indeed, I had heard the same thing. They are shopping for sites downtown; however, they're not certain if they will build or enter into a new lease in the BOA Plaza, which is getting ready to undergo some extensive rennovation, itself.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree, jfl25. I'm still waiting for Greenville's truly "signature" tower to be announced. The Landmark creates a feeling of "big-ness" but also demands for something taller and certainly more lavish in design to set the tone of the skyline. The addition of Poinsett Plaza gave Greenville its first glimpse of the modern skyscraper as a form of art, IMO. I would love to see all future buildings follow stricter regulations regarding exterior design, especially the rooftops. :)

Archived