Johnson & Wales Business School

bork

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When did the fence go up? It was used as the staging area for the J&W academic building construction........I haven't noticed any building permits for that site in the last few weeks.......maybe I'll take a drive by there and see what I can find out.

I think it went up over the weekend - and there was a construction company name posted.

When did the fence go up?  It was used as the staging area for the J&W academic building construction........I haven't noticed any building permits for that site in the last few weeks.......maybe I'll take a drive by there and see what I can find out.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Are you sure that is a new fense and not still left around from when it was the staging area? I went by at lunch today and it seems like I've seen it there for a while, but maybe not. Anyway, the construction company was the same one who did the education building for J&W, so we'll see.......

I don't know if I have the right location here but CPCC's architecture dept. has been working on a Student Union thing for J&W that would be located across the tracks from the multi-modal station. The only info. I have on it is from my Arch. Professor. J&W is looking to start up some new dorms pretty soon as well aren't thay?

• 2 months later...

I'm surprised no one has posted this yet, so here it is.

http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/business/11577067.htm

It is a new 60,000 sq. ft. academic building for their business school to be built betwen the tracks and the Primitive Baptist Church. It will be 4 stories high, and is to be complete for Fall 2007.

No renderings, but this will help complete the urban continuity of Gateway, so I'm all for it......the architect is LS3P (the same as the main academic building) so hopefully it will reflect that same style, as I think the existing building is a good (but not great) urban academinc building.

I hope it is more like the academic center or a new look rather than the look of the dorms. This is great news for Trade Street.

I wonder how much they will connect this to the station on the other side of the tracks.

I don't know of any plans to connect the building other than the sidewalks on Trade and 4th. However if J&W decides to have their next building at the Multi Modal station (which is a possibility) then an overtrack connection would be pretty neat...and urban.

It is amazing to witness the transformation that Gateway Village has gone through in the past 5 years...from being almost nothing to a busy urban center that it is today.

Something interesting to watch in this new building is how they cope with the sound and vibration from the trains.

• 7 months later...

I think that it is amazing to see so many new schools locate to Charlotte. Last time I knew anything about Charlotte, CPCC, UNC Charlotte, Queens College, Johnson C Smith University, Davidson College, and Wingate were about all I knew of. Last time I drove through Charlotte on my way to my dentist in Ballantyne, I saw signs for Strayer University, billboards for Art Institute of Charlotte, and Johnson and Wales. All three of those are new, or relatively new, aren't they? I didn't think that they built many "new" universities anymore. Great for Charlotte. Helps the growth to feed on itself.

• 8 months later...

Ok....this has appeared to drop off the radar screen. Last I heard, NCDOT was giving J&W issues about the site, because they wanted to take additional land for Gateway Station. Since there has been no activity on the site that I'm aware of, it must have stalled this project.

Does anyone have any updates? It would be a huge shame if J&W became so disinfranchised by the state that they cancelled future growth plans.

Man, if that's true, the state really sucks. After heaping so much praise on Charlotte when they first arrived, J&W's got to be fuming at NC right about now. It's like the state lured them here with a dangling carrot only to yell "Suckah!" after J&W put down roots. I wonder if they have any legal recourse, if they get upset enough.

Man, if that's true, the state really sucks. After heaping so much praise on Charlotte when they first arrived, J&W's got to be fuming at NC right about now. It's like the state lured them here with a dangling carrot only to yell "Suckah!" after J&W put down roots. I wonder if they have any legal recourse, if they get upset enough.

Now maybe someone else can start foaming at the mouth, other than me, when it comes to our wonderful NCDOT. :P

A2

• 2 months later...

Not sure. Is this still tied up with the Jim Black/Mike Easly fiasco regarding the sale of the Polk Building? Jim Palermo made a statement when I took a Chamber Tour of J&W last year about the business school starting construction sometime fall 2006. I think he said it was dependent on the university getting the promised funds from the state, but can't say for sure.

• 9 months later...

Archived