24 Hours in Indianapolis

ngp

In a little over a month, I'll be visiting Indy for the US Grand Prix. In planning my trip, I've reserved a day to get out of the burbs and venture into Indianapolis's core. I want to see what this city has to offer.

So what should I do? Which local establishments deserve my tourist dollars? Where are Indy's examples of progressive urban planning? What are some things the city's citizens are proud of? My rudimentary searches of UrbanPlanet weren't very enlightening, so I'm hoping this thread will highlight Indianapolis's charms.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

NGP - I went to the first three USGP's and had a great time. Each time I had to stay out of the city or near the northeastern suburbs. However, I made my way downtown and explored also. There is an area of downtown with some decent shopping and restaurants. I don't remember the name of the district, but it is just a few blocks (south or west?) of a tall obelisk-like statue. It is a large monument so any local would likely know it.

As for urban planning, etc. you're on your own! ;-) Seriously, while Indy's not a huge town I've enjoyed my visits. I hope it's a good race!

An excellent resource to learn more about Indianapolis is the recently unveiled Indianapolis Cultural Districts website. From the main page, Discover Cultural Districts, you can link to the six cultural districts in Indianapolis:

1. Wholesale District

2. Massachusetts Avenue

3. Indiana Avenue

4. Fountain Square

5. Broad Ripple

6. Canal and White River State Park

These sites provide excellent detail in an organized fashion.

Downtown locally-owned restaurants and bars I would recommend for starters include:

1. R Bistro (varying menu with local ingredients)

2. Agio (Italian)

3. Aesop's Tables (Mediterranean)

4. MacNiven's (Scottish pub)

5. Chez Jean Bakery Cafe

6. Slippery Noodle Inn (blues club)

7. Iaria's (Italian)

8. Shelbi Street Cafe (mixed influence)

9. The Abbey (coffee house)

10. Elements

Things to do:

1. A walk along the Central Canal from the White River to 10th street will take you past many of the city's new museums, NCAA headquarters, the state Capitol (go inside), residential areas and the developing biotech park at the north end.

2. A walk along Mass Ave. will take you past art galleries, several of the restaurants above, and nice locally owned shops.

3. Monument Circle is the heart of our city. During the USGP weekend, there is an excellent small concours auto show on the circle.

4. Walk through Lockerbie Square in the eastern part of downtown. Between East St and College and New York and Michigan streets. This was the first neighborhood to be fully restored downtown and has spurred the subsequent boom in downtown living that continues to grow each year.

I have many other suggestions if you have specific interests.

Enjoy Indianapolis - we are very proud of our downtown.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...

The germanhouse on Mass ave is pretty cool, it has german food, and entertainment, and there are alot of historical neighborhoods worthe touring, like Lockerbie, Fletcher place, St.Joseph, etc. Wholesale is very nice, a very historical urban part of the city, with alot of great architecture and nice landmarks, such as Unionstation. Then there is the circle center mall, a mall that has a beautiful facade and interior, and the monument museums are worthe it. You can also tour several homes, the SCR cathedral, historical landmarks, and the statehouse,(but you can only be on the first floor.) The movie theaters are a great place to see a film, and the circle theatre and repratory theatre are pretty fun too, and then theres the Indiana state museum, the canal(which you can get boats to ride on down it in the summer.) and alot of nice restruants and shops. Then you also have Rock bottom brewery, and St.Elmos steakhouse. Then there is alot of parks, such as university park, which has a nice soothing fountian and greenspace, and this greenspace continouse for about three or four blocks up. Then there is the firefighters museum, murat theatre, childrens museum, white river state park, the zoo,etc, all located in the central area, but be aware, some places could be closed this time of year due to temprature.

Archived