New Driver's License Law

ironchapman

According to news sources, Gov. Perdue just signed a bill that will make GA Driver's Licenses good for ten years instead of five.

The new bill also makes it easier to renew licenses online. This bill also disbanded the Georgia DMV to create the DDS (Department of Driver Services). The DDS will handle anything to do with driver's licenses. All other DMV duties were given to four other state agencies.

Any thoughts?

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In SC Gov. Sanford did something similar, and it has cut our wait times form 2 hours to 20 minutes. We renew every 10 years plus we can renew every other time online. In theory we would only need to step foot in the DMV every 20 years! :)

I say anything that makes a bureaucracy more efficient is a good thing.

Yeah, I'd have to say it sounds good to me. Reewing licenses use to be pretty easy, they have centers in a lot of librarys and fire stations. Took 10 minutes. Then they closed them, and it takes hours. Anything to reduce that amount of time, sounds good to me. Probably cheaper for us as taxpayers too.

This is great -- anything that minimizes inconvenience and improves service levels is excellent in my book.

My Florida DL is valid for six years. Why six, I have no idea. When it came time to renew, I was able to do it by mail or online. I did it online -- best thing ever. Got my new license within 2 weeks. I also renew my tag online too.

Archived