State Capitol Buildings

ironchapman

I'd like to see pics of some of the states' capitol buildings. I've only seen the ones in Tennessee, SC, NC, and Georgia (my home state).

I thought it would be nice to start a thread of capitol building pictures.

If I can find a good one in my photo collection of Georgia's, I'll post it, but for now, just take a look at my avatar.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here are the only ones in my collection..

Boise, Idaho, January 26, 2003. Their capitol is modeled after the US Capitol in Washington, DC. It features an bronze eagle on top and was completed in 1920.

boi.jpg

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Baton Rouge, Louisiana, November 1, 2004. This building is the tallest state capitol building and is basically a monument to Huey Long, the governor who fought hard to have this building constructed. The statue at the bottom is of Huey Long and that is also where he is buried. The Louisiana capitol was completed in the early 30s and built in the Art Deco style. It's different from all the other capitols I have seen and I think it is beautiful.

baton.jpg

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Olympia, Washington, March 12, 2005. The lakefront location is scenic and includes views of the Olympic Mountains, Puget Sound, and Mount Rainer. It was built in the 1920s.

oly.jpg

I'll throw in a bonus. Victoria, British Columbia, Canada, November 29, 2002. The Parliament Building is quite beautiful, located on the city's Inner Harbour and was built in 1898.

victoria.jpg

Just for the record, it seems like most things of importance in Louisiana are named after Huey Long. Here in Georgia, its either named Peachtree or after someone famous...or perhaps not even that famous.

I wouldn't mind seeing Canadian Capitols either.

Sorry, just wanted to make sure people noticed.

Georgia's Capitol:

post-3864-1116049326_thumb.jpg

post-3864-1116093003_thumb.jpg

In case you don't know, the first is my avatar.

P.S. I think the Hawaiian State Capitol was made to look like an old Hawaiian place from the US pre-annexation days

P.P.S. I hear New Mexico has an odd looking capitol. I wonder if anyone has a picture of it?

post-3864-1116049326_thumb.jpg

post-3864-1116093003_thumb.jpg

More Capitols:

Tennessee (Pres. Polk is buried here!):

post-3864-1116122384_thumb.jpg

post-3864-1116122422_thumb.jpg

New York (really pretty):

post-3864-1116122488_thumb.jpg

Alaska (not much, but whatever works):

post-3864-1116122650_thumb.jpg

When we get enough pics here, I'll ceate a poll to find out which is the best of the best.

P.S. Hey all you Florida and NC forumers, post your capitol! Tex forumers, too.

There seem to be a lot of you out there.

P.P.S. Any new pics of currently posted ones are welcome, too.

post-3864-1116122384_thumb.jpg

post-3864-1116122422_thumb.jpg

post-3864-1116122488_thumb.jpg

Alaska (not much, but whatever works):

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Actually Alaska has never had an official State Capitol building. The current building was built 28 years before Alaska attained statehood and was known as the Territorial Federal Building. Recently, Morphosis won a design competition for Alaska's new State Capitol Building.

alaska1.jpg

More info and images can be found here.

Virginia's State Capitol in Richmond, designed by Thomas Jefferson and occupied in 1788. It is home to the oldest continuous English-speaking lawmaking body in the New World. The wings were added in 1904-1906 and designed by John Kevan Peebles

va_state_capitol1.jpg

152-5214_IMG.JPG

George Washington's lifesize statue inside of the Capitol by Jean-Antoine Houdon (1785-1788)

int.jpg

Archived