State Capitol Buildings

ironchapman

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here is Oregon's Capitol in Salem. The Capitol is the big white building to the east of downtown. The Capitol Campus is north of the Capitol and Willamette University's campus is just across the street south the Capitol.

ORSAh030813N_018.jpg

Here is an aerial view of Olympia showing the Capitol perched on a hill above downtown & the southern tip of Puget Sound.

WAOLh040721D_010.jpg

Hello All, and especially Lmichigan,

Your photo thread about the state capitols has caught my attention! There are a lot of capitol fans out there, and a lot of good photos, apparently.

First, I need to catch Lmichigan's attention here. I collect images and info on state capitols. It

^ The Capitol in Salem isn't in an elobrate setting unless you approach from the lesser approaced from north side where the campus is. Along the main approach, State St., The Willamette University (oldest college in the west) campus is directly across the street & doesn't accentuate the Capitol like its formal campus on the north does.

Here is a campus view:

capitolspringbloom.jpg

This view shows Willamette University & the proximity with the Capitol:

views_aerialcapitol.gif

The Capitol in Salem isn't in an elobrate setting unless . . . .

OK. That first picture sure doesn't look like what I saw, so we must have snuck up on it from the 'wrong' side. We weren't normal tourists since we were there with resident relatives. Actually, I like Salem. Hopefully next time I'm there I'll actually get to go inside the capitol.

I didn't know Alaska's capitol was so "unique" looking.

Taurean, just want to be sure you know the link I posted above is to proposed capitol buildings for Alaska. On page 1 of this thread, second to last post on the page, Ironchapman has a clickable image of the current capitol building. It was built originally as the territorial capitol, and if they ever get the funding, the people of Alaska would love to build something else. (Thanks for that info, Eastsider.)

Like ncb, I would have expected something more traditional than those proposed plans. But if you look at the trends in capitols, they aren't doing that so much now. Oklahoma added a traditional dome to their existing building, but everyone else who has built something new has gotten away from the domed and columned structures.

I'll just have to get some images together for y'all.

In the meantime, here is Illinois:

http://statecapitols.tigerleaf.com/images/ILfront2.jpg

Taurean, just want to be sure you know the link I posted above is to proposed capitol buildings for Alaska. On page 1 of this thread, second to last post on the page, Ironchapman has a clickable image of the current capitol building. It was built originally as the territorial capitol, and if they ever get the funding, the people of Alaska would love to build something else. (Thanks for that info, Eastsider.)

Just so people don't have to go bac and find it, here is Alaska's capitol building:

ALKcap-1.jpg

All I know is that NC has a very bland and smallish state capitol building. It is very indistinguishable in downtown Raleigh and the dome is not even visible above the trees. I never did like it and I wish the state would add a taller dome at least.

• 2 weeks later...

Why bother? We don't use it for anything. It's entirely historical at this point.

Our legislature building is north a couple blocks and has decent enough architecture.

The Judicial building is an ugly grey box.

The governor's mansion is beautiful though.

Why bother? We don't use it for anything. It's entirely historical at this point.

Our legislature building is north a couple blocks and has decent enough architecture.

The Judicial building is an ugly grey box.

The governor's mansion is beautiful though.

I've heard of several capitals where the building everyone refers to as the 'capitol' has no government activity going on in it anymore - Nevada and Arizona come to mind. So North Carolina's is like that? Is it at lease a museum, or just vacant?

Archived