First Citizens Building Progress?

JT Boy

For those of us who don't live in Columbia, can you who do update us on the progress of the First Citizens project? Especially share any images.

Also, any activity on the new office buildings on the old Kline property?

Thanks much.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cool....when it is complete, what other building will it be comparable to in height downtown?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It will be almost exactly the height of the NBSC Building on the opposite side of Main Street. The top of the elevator shaft is just a few feet shy of the top of the NBSC Building's elevator shaft right now. I'm not sure if they are at the very top of it yet, but they should be close. My best guess is that the building will be in the neighborhood of 60-65 meters or not quite 200 feet. Probably around the 20th-25th tallest building in Columbia or so. In the picture below you can see the NBSC Building quite well. The First Citizens Building will be to the left of NBSC and somewhat in front of the Wilbur Smith Building. Once they have topped it out I will take some new pictures from the same vantage point.

downtown%20close%20up%20from%20greystone.jpg

Also, any activity on the new office buildings on the old Kline property?

I drive by there every day and the demolition work on the old property is slowly progressing. I'm thinking there must have been asbestos or some other reason that the old building(s) are taking awhile to tear down. My understanding is that when the demolition is complete they will start construction on 2 5 story office buildings and a parking garage. I'd rather see one 10 story structure, but the Vista has rather stringent height limits.

Archived