• Bank of America Tower in Atlanta
    • 1st Interstate Bank Tower in Dallas
    • John Hancock Tower (Boston)
    • Library Tower (LA)
    • Other

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To come up with most of the buildings on the list, I went through a book of famous and monumentsal buildings plus a couple I knew of personally. No buildings from Pittsburgh were in the book and I don't know too much about Pittsburgh skyscrapers.

The reason I put the Key Tower in there is because it is the tallest building between New York and Chicgao that's not in the South.

I do agree though, I should have put a Pittsburgh one in there.

It bugs me that a book about skyscrapers would overlook Pittsburgh. We have some very nice ones that deserve to be mentioned. By the way, although that one in Cleveland is the tallest between NY and Chicago in terms of feet, the tallest in terms of stories is the USX Tower in Pittsburgh. Whoever wrote that book didn't do enough research imo. <_<

But I don't really blame you for not including one from here. You cannot include everything in your poll :)

I think the BOA tower in Charlotte is a modern classic, but I had to go with an all-time classic on this one, the Empire State Building. I can still remember the exhiliration from viewing the city from the observation deck a little over 10 years ago.

I'd love to see the Power & Light building in Kansas City on the list. I have been told by people more knowledgeable than myself that it is considered one of the finest examples of art deco in the midwest, perhaps US. The top is lit at night and is quite intriguing.

Here are photos:

http://www.emporis.com/en/il/pc/?id=121884&aid=8&sro=1

ESB is a classic. It was the original big-boy and after about 75 years is still in the upper echelon of world skyscrapers. It is a treasured icon of NYC, and its just cool :)

Other honorable mentions are the Hancock Tower in Chicago and TransAmerica in San Francisco.

Archived