Charlotte nc or Austin Tx best place to live!

atb4766

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Charlotte and Austin have many similarities.

-They are both developing cities and metros.

-They are both close to the same size.

-They both have vibrant nightlifes.

...Among many more.

Given the choice...I'd pick Charlotte, it's closer to home.

Austin in a heartbeat. One of the coolest cities in the entire country. The Hill Country is right outside town, and, I'm sorry Charlotte guys, but UNCC don't hold a candle to UT. I consider a vibrant and active university an important part of any metro area, and UT is one of the top public institutions in the country. I almost went to UNCC, actually. What on earth was I thinking?

No, really, Charlotte's great, but in this completely random matchup there's just no contest. I'd rather be in Austin than just about anywhere else.

I just wish the rest of my family and friends felt the same way...

• 1 month later...

Charlotte and Austin have many similarities.

-They are both developing cities and metros.

-They are both close to the same size.

-They both have vibrant nightlifes.

...Among many more.

Given the choice...I'd pick Charlotte, it's closer to home.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Exactly!

Except the closer to home part. ^_^

• 2 months later...

I don't know? Austin is known to have more of a "cool" vibe of the two. Interesting choices both cities are approximately the same size in city limits, metro areas, and growth rate. I guess it would just come down to what you prefer. I haven't been to Austin but have heard good things about it. I'd seen pictures of the Texas hill country but would love to see it first hand!

I live in Charlotte and have never been to Austin. I have a good friend thats from Austin but he lives in West Hollywood now. He has nothing but good things to say about Austin. I often see Austin on lists that deal with things such as good places for singles, etc. Considering Austin has a huge university of like 50,000 I will have to give the edge to Austin as well. UNCC is a growing campus reaching 20,000 this year. I think both cities will continue to lead the way as second-tier cities.

• 4 months later...

I have lived in Charlotte an have spent lots of time in Austin. I still go to Charlotte often because it is close to my school. Austin is by far better than Charlotte.

from www.texasfreeway.com

courtyard_street_B_2002-08-23_lres.jpg

the west side of Austin

city_park_road_A_use_2002-08-23_lres.jpg

barton_creek_A_2002-08-24_lres.jpg

360_spicewood_creek_3-march-2001_lres.jpg

360_wide_view_4-march-2001_lres.jpg

Reasons why Austin defeats Charlotte

1) cliff jumping on Lake Travis

2) bats flying out of the Congress St. bridge at sunset

3) Barton Springs

4) cave exploring in barton creek park

5) cooler geography

Charlotte is a nice place but unless you are a golfer, it is not as cool as Austin

"Extreme case of Charlotte boosterism" alert!

Tre4, may I ask, for what reason(s) should Austin and Charlotte not be placed in the same league? What do you know about Austin?

krazeeboi What do you know about Austin TX?. Why do you take offence when someone say's something good about charlottte when you live less than 15 to 30 miles away?

:huh:

krazeeboi What do you know about Austin TX?. Why do you take offence when someone say's something good about charlottte when you live less than 15 to 30 miles away?

:huh:

What do I know about Austin...let's see:

1) Texas state capital

2) 4th largest city in Texas

3) Great college town

4) Superb nightlife

5) Very liberal

6) High-tech city

I don't "take offense" to anyone saying something good about Charlotte, but when someone makes unfounded statements for the sake of boosterism, I think the record should be set straight. The fact of the matter is that in terms of size, Charlotte and Austin are VERY comaparable, as both have municipal populations in the range of 600K-700K and a metro area of about 1.5 million and are growing rapidly. Again, I ask, what makes you think that Charlotte and Austin are not in the same league?

What do I know about Austin...let's see:

1) Texas state capital

2) 4th largest city in Texas

3) Great college town

4) Superb nightlife

5) Very liberal

6) High-tech city

I don't "take offense" to anyone saying something good about Charlotte, but when someone makes unfounded statements for the sake of boosterism, I think the record should be set straight. The fact of the matter is that in terms of size, Charlotte and Austin are VERY comaparable, as both have municipal populations in the range of 600K-700K and a metro area of about 1.5 million and are growing rapidly. Again, I ask, what makes you think that Charlotte and Austin are not in the same league?

I think Charlotte is just better look at Austin and then look at Charlotte. When you look at Austin Skyline and Then look At Charlotte's with all the banks and headOuters of fortune 500 businesses with such strong development through the city it's just massive, I personal think Austin lacks that.

Austin TX :shades:

austin_skyline.jpg

Charlotte NC :wub:

charlotte_skyline.jpg

You can't go wrong with either city.

Austin's advantages include being a 2 - 2.5 hour drive to three other metropolitan areas larger than 1.5 million people (San Antonio 1hr, Houston 2hrs, and DFW 2.5hrs). Austin is also a very progressive city willing to embrace change. Austin is moving forward with fixed rail transit options to encourage density and getting people out of the cars. The people in Austin are among the most accepting people I have ever met. Regardless of who you are as a person, there's a non-judgemental place for you in Austin.

I wouldn't judge either city by how pretty its skyline - in this case both are beautiful.

My vote AUSTIN!

Tre4, here's the first rule of order when comparing cities: skylines don't mean %$@# (unless you're solely comparing skylines). Of course, they have their place, but when choosing which city is "best," it practically means nothing. Charleston, Savannah, Washington, Madison WI, Portland OR, and Paris don't have traditional skylines (or not a huge skyline in Portland's case), but they are some of the most urban, beautiful places you'd ever want to visit or even live. And not to make this a pissing contest between Charlotte and Austin, but Austin isn't exactly devoid of companies. The city is home to several large sites for major technology corporations such as Apple Computer, Dell Computer, IBM, Applied Materials, AMD, Samsung, and Freescale; those are no small chips, my friend. If we were comparing skylines only, then I would give the edge to Charlotte, but when comparing the whole of both cities, they match up quite well. In the end, it will simply come down to personal preference, as Austin has some advantages that Charlotte simply does not or will not have, moreso than vice versa.

And by the way, your skyline pic of Austin hardly does the city justice. If you're going to use a wide-shot skyline pic of Charlotte, then please do the same for Austin:

austin_skyline.jpg

By the way, just out of curiosity, how old are you?

Tre4, here's the first rule of order when comparing cities: skylines don't mean %$@# (unless you're solely comparing skylines). Of course, they have their place, but when choosing which city is "best," it practically means nothing. Charleston, Savannah, Washington, Madison WI, Portland OR, and Paris don't have traditional skylines (or not a huge skyline in Portland's case), but they are some of the most urban, beautiful places you'd ever want to visit or even live. And not to make this a pissing contest between Charlotte and Austin, but Austin isn't exactly devoid of companies. The city is home to several large sites for major technology corporations such as Apple Computer, Dell Computer, IBM, Applied Materials, AMD, Samsung, and Freescale; those are no small chips, my friend. If we were comparing skylines only, then I would give the edge to Charlotte, but when comparing the whole of both cities, they match up quite well. In the end, it will simply come down to personal preference, as Austin has some advantages that Charlotte simply does not or will not have, moreso than vice versa.

And by the way, your skyline pic of Austin hardly does the city justice. If you're going to use a wide-shot skyline pic of Charlotte, then please do the same for Austin:

austin_skyline.jpg

By the way, just out of curiosity, how old are you?

Archived