Charlotte nc or Austin Tx best place to live!

atb4766

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not "getting into a fight with you" either. No offense, but it's just that your bases of comparison for both cities are pretty superficial, shallow, and obviously biased to a great extent.

I'm 26, by the way.

As for your original, statements, IBM also has a research and development lab in Charlotte and Microsoft has its only development location, outside of Washington St., in Charlotte. So in regards as places for technology, I would say the two cities are even.

And stop picking fights with Tre-4. A 26 year old should know better.

I have yet to see a pick of charlotte on this forum that did not include the BofA tower.

I recommend you go look at the threads in the Charlotte forums. There are plenty of photos there are that not limited to the skyline. For most of us on this forum there are a lot more to cities than that.

Charlotte a major high tech center? Never heard of that, nationally - besides San Francisco, the assumed high tech centers are Boston, Raleigh & Austin. In that case it isn't that great of a comparision, nor is it really consequentable - it is likely in Charlotte's favor that it ISN'T as dependant on high tech as Austin overwhelmingly is. In other words, I wouldn't sweat over Austin being more of a 'high tech' center than Charlotte - it's nothing to cry over.

But in another category that Austin completely slaughters Charlotte, as well as many other cities is the music category. Big 'culture' points for Austin there, though Charlotte ranks high in civic sponsered cultural support.

I'll give Austin a big vote - certainly is the only city in TX I would half consider living in. (my humblest apologies to Texans who would take offense - but of course many would say the same for the east side of the deep south)

Charlotte a major high tech center? Never heard of that,

I guess it is good then that you are coming to UrbanPlanet. I can't think of many other companies in the USA that are more high tech than IBM or Microsoft. And I guess that I don't have to mention the extensive amount of research and development that takes place here for the finance industry. For example check sorters are designed and developed in Charlotte and this is just one example. They don't exactly run banks on stencil paper and adding machines anymore.

As another example Duke Energy (the country's largest Energy company) designs and develops power plants in Charlotte including nuclear plants. High tech is more than just stuff that goes on personal computers.

^ Like coming to UP to be informed that more people live 'in the city' of Charlotte than Atlanta - though not fully incorrect, but not truly honest. ;)

I'm still interested in seeing some backing for the Charlotte being as significant of a high tech center as Austin though - that in my opinion is still quite a stretch. Not to say I don't think Charlotte is the cat's pajamas, but I don't see any point in debating that Charlotte is on par with Austin. Besides, why would Charlotte want to be as nearly one dimensional of an economic center as Austin, I think Charlotte is economically stronger due to it's diversity, including it's bank check sorterers.

I'm still interested in seeing some backing for the Charlotte being as significant of a high tech center as Austin though - that in my opinion is still quite a stretch.

From the US Census American Community survey - 2004

Employment by Industry (These catagories could be considered technology related)

Austin

• Information Technology - 9,799 - 1.8%

• Finance & Insurance - 24,385 - 4.7%

• Professional, Scientific, Management, Administrative - 51,218 - 9.8%

• Educational - 67,574 - 13%

• Work force Population - 518,718

Charlotte

• Information Technology - 6,632 - 1.5%

• Finance & Insurance - 48,621 - 11.4%

• Professional, Scientific, Management, Administrative - 39,737 - 9.0%

• Educational - 49,075 - 11.1%

• Work Force Population - 440,015

Personally, I will give you my outside view as someone from FL who is currently going to school at UNCC. I have been to both cities and know a little bit about each one. I enjoy water and what that brings to a city so for me Austin is a nice city that offers a decent amount of natural water. Charlotte is a nice city with a good downtown and a decent location but for some reason a lot of people I have talked to up here have a very "small town" mentality. I would say Austin in a close race...

From the US Census American Community survey - 2004

Employment by Industry (These catagories could be considered technology related)

Austin

• Information Technology - 9,799 - 1.8%

• Finance & Insurance - 24,385 - 4.7%

• Professional, Scientific, Management, Administrative - 51,218 - 9.8%

• Educational - 67,574 - 13%

• Work force Population - 518,718

Charlotte

• Information Technology - 6,632 - 1.5%

• Finance & Insurance - 48,621 - 11.4%

• Professional, Scientific, Management, Administrative - 39,737 - 9.0%

• Educational - 49,075 - 11.1%

• Work Force Population - 440,015

Rather interesting - though why would banking / insuarance, management & teaching be considered high tech? Still - it isn't as significant as I would think it would be, particulary considering many of those "high tech city rankings" place Charlotte far lower than Austin. I'll still give Austin the plus sign for being a bigger high tech city, but Charlotte would still get more plus signs for it's overall economic strength.

Rather interesting - though why would banking / insuarance, management & teaching be considered high tech?

The systems, processes and software required to manage money are rather complex and both Wachovia and BofA have significant centers in Charlotte employing thousands of programmers, computer scientists, and systems people developing the stuff to give them advangage over the other banks they directly compete against. Much of the unique high tech stuff that you see at banks is still developed in house because this is where Banks strive to eek out a competitive advantage, and there is nobody else to do it.

In comparison to Dell, which does not develop PCs in the US anymore, the banks are much more high tech.

As you noticed, Banking & Finance only involve about 10-11% of Charlotte's employment base. Many people think that it is much higher.

^ That is quite a stretch then - then just include all industry types b/c you're bound to find some IT employee in them. The question isn't what businesses employee the most high tech people but what are the biggest high tech businesses.

.... anyways, it doesn't matter to me - especially high tech (though technically I am categorized as a 'high tech' computer jockey). But 11.4% in financial is HUGE, so don't dismiss it - flaunt it. That doesn't mean Charlotte doesn't have a diversified city, but clearly banking is big - considering it's only 4.7% in Austin.

But Austin has been home (at least some point) to Lyle Lovett, Lucinda Williams, Townes Van Zandt, & even the Butthole Surfers - so that's my vote. (not to dismiss Charlotte's great 80's bands Fetchin Bones & Antiseen)

^ That is quite a stretch then - then just include all industry types b/c you're bound to find some IT employee in them. The question isn't what businesses employee the most high tech people but what are the biggest high tech businesses.

.... anyways, it doesn't matter to me - especially high tech

Well it mattered enough for you to comment on it several times in this thread so I looked up some numbers to back up what I have said. You are only offering your opinion on the matter which is fine too.

Dell has manufacturing plants in Austin, Nashville, and one that just opened last fall in Winston-Salem.

I could be wrong but Dell assembles its computers here, but the components are not made in the United States.

I don't think assembly should go under high-tech but maybe it does. Any monkey can assemble a computer. Bank security and infrastructure are on another level than assembling a computer.

Even though I am from NC, I will vote Austin because it has a more high tech feel to it, a way more varied landscape, and a better nightlife. Some plusses that made me pick Charlotte were the Real World being filmed there and IKEA coming!

Even though I am from NC, I will vote Austin because it has a more high tech feel to it, a way more varied landscape, and a better nightlife. Some plusses that made me pick Charlotte were the Real World being filmed there and IKEA coming!

I think the local flatness of Charlotte is compensated by the closer proximity to a large mountain range and a beach. You can do daytrips to the mountains or the beach there, as opposed to driving all day from Austin for the same.

Real World was taped in Austin....and since when is Ikea coming to Charlotte?

Archived