Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

swags

Transit in your neighbourhood

How easy is it for you to take public transit in your neighbourhood? Is it close by? Does it take a long time to get anywhere? What form of transportation is it? Share your experiences.

Here is mine.

For me, living in suburban Toronto, the bus is about a 5 minute walk from my house. Using a combination of bus and subway, it takes me about an hour and a half to get downtown, which is when I use transit most of the time. I can also take the bus for 2 minutes directly to the nearest commuter train station and it takes me about 45 minutes to get downtown from there. The train station is also a sort of hub for bus routes in my area, so that is kind of convenient.

If the subway was closer, it would be more convenient obviously, because they are much faster than buses. That is why I'm leaving this neighbourhood as soon as I can. :thumbsup:

2 blocks from two bus routes that are on Memorial Dr & go to downtown, 5 minutes away. Both take different routes into downtown, with the main route going to the primary MARTA rail station - Five Points. Otherwise, it is a 20 minute walk to another MARTA rail station.

I live in a small town (40K) that is part of the Charlotte Metro. It is 1/2 mile walk to the nearist bus pickup, which is not too bad, but it only costs 25 cents to ride. I can use this to get to the express bus station which will take me into Charlotte. A commuter rail line is being planned to suppliment the express buses.

As a practical matter however, I would drive to the park & ride lot at the bus station and not use the local bus.

i live in the dorchester section of boston... the JFK/UMass red line station is visible from my street and is a block away, a 2 minute walk or so. it takes about 7 or 8 minutes to get into downtown from my T stop.

I currently live in North Kingstown, RI, about 18 miles south of Providence. I can walk five minutes to the bus stop, and then be downtown in under 40 minutes easily. The bus service, RIPTA, is really underused and underrated near me.

I live aprox. a 5 minute walk from a regular bus stop and 10-15 minute walk away from an express bus stop. Both are a pretty easy connection to Miami's Metrorail. The problem with this is the express busses only run during rush hour and the regular bus line only shows up every half hour. There's a 24 hour bus but that's more of a 30-45 minute walk.

Assuming the busses are on schedule, it'd take me an hour to get downtown on the regular bus and 30-45 minutes on the express bus.

I can get to my job in about 10 minutes (+ about 3 minutes walking time) by bus in exurban Orlando. Unfortunately, the schedule doesn't work for me and I have to drive anyway (5-10 minutes).

There's a Lynx bus stop a block away from my house, and there's a hub at UCF (where I work). My route only runs every hour though, and it leaves UCF at 5 PM (right when I get off work, so I don't have time to walk to the terminal), so it would be crazy for me to wait another hour to come home :(

^How long does it take by car?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

in rush hour, 45-minutes to and hour

normally 30 minutes

unfortunately i don't work downtown and i also work off hours that don't jive with transit.