Malls

Florida

Tallahassee Malls  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Which Mall do you currently shop most?

• Governor's Square Mall
    • Tallahassee Mall
    • Both about the Same
  2. 2. How would you rate the Governor's Square Mall?

• Excellent
    • Good
    • OK
    • Sub-Quality
    • Poor
  3. 3. How would you rate the Tallahassee Mall?

• Excellent
    • Good
    • OK
    • Sub-Quality
    • Poor
  4. 4. Do you think the pending Pinnacle at Cross Creek mall is a threat to any of the following Malls?

• Governor's Square
    • Tallahassee Mall

Tallahassee Malls

Tallahassee Mall | Governor's Square

Mall News:

TallahasseeMall035.jpg

ONE OF TALLAHASSEE'S MAJOR SHOPPING AREAS IS IN THE PROCESS OF CHANGING HANDS.

A FIRM OUT OF NEW YORK SPECIALIZING IN THE RENOVATION OF RETAIL SPACE HAS PUT IT'S BID IN FOR THE TALLAHASSEE MALL. FELDMAN MALL PROPERTIES OF GREAT NECK, NEW YORK SAYS IT WILL PAY MORE THAN 61 MILLION DOLLARS FOR THE MONROE STREET PROPERTY. THE COMPANY SAYS IT PLANS NUMEROUS UPGRADES TO THE RETAIL SPACES, AND WILL TRY TO ATTRACT A LARGER NUMBER AND VARIETY OF RESTAURANTS.

Our prayers have been answered!! There may finally be a high quality shopping center established in Florida's capital city. An outlet mall wouldn't hurt, that way we could have the experience of shopping in designer stores at a lower cost. The Governor's Square mall isn't that bad, but it is in need of a modernizing renovation. The Tallahassee Mall has been suffering surely since Montgomery Wards vacated and Burlington Coat Factory took their place. Don't know much about Burlington, but it hasn't presented itself as a quality, neat, department store at its Tallahassee Mall location. Not to mention the influx of "cheap box stores" like Ross, Goodies, & Shoe Carnival that have leached on to the mall and turned it into less and less of a quality shopping experience. Nothing against those stores, but they shouldn't be connected to any respectable mall. Maybe our hopes for a Cheesecake Factory may materialize.

• Replies 613
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Been having thoughts of better shopping, certainlly want a Cheesecake Factory... could this be the new home of one? Oh yeah... and hopefully the shopping thing too.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I echo your sentiments. The Cheesecake Factory is a wonderful place.

Is it Tallahassee Mall or Governors Square that is the top mall in town? Or are they pretty much equal?

Tallahassee Mall is the older of the two. Ever since I can remember (back to the early 1980's) Governor's Square has been the top mall in town, although Tallahassee Mall is the larger, in total retail square footage.

Hopefully, this developer has something in mind for the mostly empty second floor corridor, near AMC 20.

Governor's Square Mall, from what I've dicerned from these posts, has a better chance of being turned into an upscale shopping center.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The Gov Square isn't far from being upscale... it just needs new flooring, probably some nicer benches, and a few new quality/designer stores, the Tallahassee Mall, on the other hand, has no where to go but up as far as tenants are concerned. The inside of the mall itself is nice, but the vendors are low class, low quality, and stores are small. I've looked at this new owner's work, and they really know how to turn a mall into a masterpiece.

The Gov Square isn't far from being upscale... it just needs new flooring, probably some nicer benches, and a few new quality/designer stores, the Tallahassee Mall, on the other hand, has no where to go but up as far as tenants are concerned. The inside of the mall itself is nice, but the vendors are low class, low quality, and stores are small. I've looked at this new owner's work, and they really know how to turn a mall into a masterpiece.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Gov's Square has the better selection of stores, so if any mall in Tally goes upscale Gov's Square would be it. As far a cheesecake factory is concerned, I would love to see Tally get one but the metro area probably needs to have a population of at least 500K before that happens. At this point it's more likely that Tally could land a PF Changs in the next 3 years. And the PF Changs would mostly likely go into the Killearn area just as the Bone Fish Grill restaurant b/c that is were the money is.

Its very hard for me to understand the thinking here. Maybe upscale wasn't the proper word to use, but when a mall is purchased and renovated by a major developer known for turning mediocre malls into great ones, one can only assume this mall will surpass the other one in popularity, and likeability. Not saying this will become the next Lenox Mill, just looking forward to the turnaround. As far as the cheesecake factory is concerned, since when does it take 500,000 people or more in a metro area to support a resturant? It easy to understand the rationale behind not being on a company's expansion map given you are under a certain level, but it never hurts to dream does it?

Sounds better. I was actually taking inventory of the area eariler and I've noticed numerous high income neighborhoods around the Tallahassee Mall. With the new development, we could be looking at a possible Sawgrass Mills, nice outlet mall, Tallahassee Style.

Unless, the developer plans to kick out several of the better existing tenants (ex. Dillards, Parision, AMC 20, Barnes & Noble), I'd say an outlet mall is out of the question. Considering recent shopping mall trends, I'd say there's a much better possiblity of it becoming a Hybrid type center, with an outdoor lifestyle center component being added, similar to Bay Walk (name?) at Tampa's new upscale International Plaza Mall. If that's the case, there's a good chance you'll see restaurants like Cheesecake Factory and PF Changs added to the mix.

Unless, the developer plans to kick out several of the better existing tenants (ex. Dillards, Parision, AMC 20, Barnes & Noble), I'd say an outlet mall is out of the question.  Considering recent shopping mall trends, I'd say there's a much better possiblity of it becoming a Hybrid type center, with an outdoor lifestyle center component being added, similar to Bay Walk (name?) at Tampa's new upscale International Plaza Mall.  If that's the case, there's a good chance you'll see restaurants like Cheesecake Factory and PF Changs added to the mix.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Do you think that Tally is the right market size for what Changs and the Cheesecake look for? The reason I mention a pop of 500k is b/c I don't believe that any of these restaurants are in areas with less than that. When one of the two malls goes upscale, then we may see Changs enter the market. Is there a big enough market in Tally for Changs or Cheesecake? I'm not sure.

Do you think that Tally is the right market size for what Changs and the Cheesecake look for?  The reason I mention a pop of 500k is b/c I don't believe that any of these restaurants are in areas with less than that.  When one of the two malls goes upscale, then we may see Changs enter the market.  Is there a big enough market in Tally for Changs or Cheesecake?  I'm not sure.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's a good question. I don't know of any metros, Tallahassee's size that has them either. The developers of the new Lakeland Village lifestyle center in Lakeland, a metro about twice the size (around 520k), wanted a Cheesecake Factory and PF Changs, but for whatever reason, they weren't able to attract them. Tally just may be too small to attract them. Nevertheless, I guess we'll see what happens.

That's a good question.  I don't know of any metros, Tallahassee's size that has them either.  The developers of the new Lakeland Village lifestyle center in Lakeland, a metro about twice the size (around 520k), wanted a Cheesecake Factory and PF Changs, but for whatever reason, they weren't able to attract them.  Tally just may be too small to attract them.  Nevertheless, I guess we'll see what happens.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Naples, FL is the community that comes to mind when I think of smaller metros with a Cheesecake Factory. Its metro population is 292,466 compared to Tallahassee's 340,481. The talks of getting a Cheesecake Factory are just that. The Company has announced no plans to expand into this area, it was merely mentioned as a possibility. We'll wait our turn to see if the almighty resturant wants to come to Tallahassee. Meanwhile... we'll continue to march on to that 500K mark.

Archived