Malls

Florida

Tallahassee Malls  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Which Mall do you currently shop most?

• Governor's Square Mall
    • Tallahassee Mall
    • Both about the Same
  2. 2. How would you rate the Governor's Square Mall?

• Excellent
    • Good
    • OK
    • Sub-Quality
    • Poor
  3. 3. How would you rate the Tallahassee Mall?

• Excellent
    • Good
    • OK
    • Sub-Quality
    • Poor
  4. 4. Do you think the pending Pinnacle at Cross Creek mall is a threat to any of the following Malls?

• Governor's Square
    • Tallahassee Mall

Naples, FL is the community that comes to mind when I think of smaller metros with a Cheesecake Factory.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ignoring population, it has that upscale factor, plus a lot of seasonal residents that aren't counted in traditional permanent population counts. There is probably a way to factor in snowbirds and other visitors that stay in Naples that makes it Cheesecake-worthy. :)

• Replies 613
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thank God someone has stepped up and purchased that mall

I go to school in Tallahassee and when your used to such shopping experiences

like Aventura, Orange Park, Mall of the Mellenia etc, its a disapointing step down

for about 8 months out of the year (untill Spring Break at least).

It would be nice to have a Cheesecake Factory and something other than Burlington to keep good business, besides I aint trying to go to Governor's Sqr Mall like that.

<_< For your information taurean J ,the Burlington store in the Tallahassee mall is a good store, and what downfall? The Tallahassee Mall is not experiencing a downfall. If it wasn't for burlingtons and amc theatres this mall would probaly be shut down.The Tallahassee Mall is doing just as well as the govenor's square mall. You make it seem like no one goes there, and it is suffering so. With this purchase the Tallahassee mall would be even better, and stop "hatin" on burlington's, you know you shop there. :rofl:

Uugh... let me set you straight City (all in fun)! For YOUR information, the Tallahassee Mall does currently need some help. Its dept stores, Dillards, Parisians, and Burlington, the AMC Movie Theatre and Barnes & Noble may be its only strengths. But a mall is more than dept stores. I wish I had pictures available to show people the poor selection of stores, or lack there of in the Tallahassee Mall. Just recently, Sound Advise announced it will be closing its Tallahassee Mall store due to their dissatisfaction with that location. Stores open and close quicker in that mall, than gas prices change. The increasing number of "locally owned and operated" vendors is only evidence that this mall is having trouble recruiting national brands. Sure it has an Old Navy, Victoria's Secret, A few nationally known shoe stores, a pet store, an upscale hair salon, a few resturants, and a decent food court. The interior of the mall is actually nice when you consider it visually. But with so many gaps between the good stores, or in some places, no stores at all... should we assume the mall isn't struggling. The Governor's square mall doesn't have these vacancy problems, nor does it seem to have any trouble recruiting national retailers.

HOW DARE YOU!! Taurenaj you know these vacant stores will be bought. Look at what happened to Picadilly's. Once they kicked them out, they took in a new tenant. I would think the Tallahasse mall would now how to market their 2 little empty spaces for business.

Ignoring population, it has that upscale factor, plus a lot of seasonal residents that aren't counted in traditional permanent population counts. There is probably a way to factor in snowbirds and other visitors that stay in Naples that makes it Cheesecake-worthy. :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You're right, the upscale factor as it relates to the abundance of higher income residents that would be able to dine there on a regular basis. This factor probably applies more to Cheesecake more than it does Changs. Although both service a upscale client base. The reason I say that is b/c Changs opened a restaurant in Knoxville, TN and they're going to open one in Little Rock in a month. PF Changs has shown that is it more inclined to expand into such cities and that is why I can see Tally getting one of those in the next 3yrs before they get a Cheesecake.

THE MARKET

Governor's Square strongly penetrates a trade area that includes portions of nine of the eleven regional counties.

Fifty-eight percent of Governor's Square trade area residents spend the most money at this center, double the level that spend the most at Tallahassee Mall.

The 55,000 Tallahassee area college students attending Florida State, Florida A&M, and Tallahassee Community College account for approximately 10 percent of Governor's Square sales.

Just for Comparison look at these images...

Here's the Governor's Square Mall

06_GovernorsMall.jpgGovernorsSquare.jpg

Here's the Tallahassee Mall

mallparisians.jpg

tlhdillards.jpg

Neither looks bad, but clearly the Gov's Square is better. Which is why Im so excited about the Tallahassee Mall's Chances.

You're right, the upscale factor as it relates to the abundance of higher income residents that would be able to dine there on a regular basis.  This factor probably applies more to Cheesecake more than it does Changs.  Although both service a upscale client base.  The reason I say that is b/c Changs opened a restaurant in Knoxville, TN and they're going to open one in Little Rock in a month.  PF Changs has shown that is it more inclined to expand into such cities and that is why I can see Tally getting one of those in the next 3yrs before they get a Cheesecake.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I completely understand. I've done my homework and I totally agree.

I completely understand. I've done my homework and I totally agree.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hey, folks from Tally can always make a day of it and drive over to Jax if they want to eat at Cheesecake or Changs and do some "upscale" shopping.

Hey, folks from Tally can always make a day of it and drive over to Jax if they want to eat at Cheesecake or Changs and do some "upscale" shopping.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Surely I agree with the desire to use those restaurants while visiting the City of Jacksonville, but Tallahassee is nearly 180 miles away from Jacksonville and any other larger city. Believe it or not, the majority of Tallahasseeans aren't college students, and a good portion of our people enjoy eating at fine quality restaurants on a regular basis, and don't have the luxury of driving 2 and 1/2 hours to eat. We are content to make do with what we are given until we get what we want.

As far as malls go, the two in Tallahassee are pretty sad. Although when I lived in the area, shopping there was a treat since most of the better malls were hours away. Unortunately, I don't believe Tallahassee is quite ready for upscale shopping. I do think Tallahassee could attract a retailer like Nordstrom easily, but I don't see an Armani store opening any time soon. :) Based on what I've seen of Feldman Properties, I really don't think this is the developer to bring in better retail stores. They seem to be in the outlet mall business, but an Off 5th wouldn't be a bad idea for Tallahassee Mall...

Taurean J- Why eat at Cheesecake Factory when you could eat at any of Tallahassee's local restaurants? I can think of 5 off the top of my head that are 10 times better than Cheesecake Factory. Besides, this summer you'll be blessed with a Ted's Montana Grill. We don't even have one of those in Charlotte! :)

It's going on the former site of Wings Sports Grill on Capital Circle.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Good, it'll be great for the football fans that come in on the weekend and the rest of the citizens of Tallahassee.

As far as malls go, the two in Tallahassee are pretty sad. Although when I lived in the area, shopping there was a treat since most of the better malls were hours away. Unortunately, I don't believe Tallahassee is quite ready for upscale shopping. I do think Tallahassee could attract a retailer like Nordstrom easily, but I don't see an Armani store opening any time soon. :) Based on what I've seen of Feldman Properties, I really don't think this is the developer to bring in better retail stores. They seem to be in the outlet mall business, but an Off 5th wouldn't be a bad idea for Tallahassee Mall...

Taurean J- Why eat at Cheesecake Factory when you could eat at any of Tallahassee's local restaurants? I can think of 5 off the top of my head that are 10 times better than Cheesecake Factory. Besides, this summer you'll be blessed with a Ted's Montana Grill. We don't even have one of those in Charlotte! :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

We have established the fact that the Malls in Tallahassee could use some improving. But surely they aren't as bad as you make them seem.

We're excited about the Tallahassee Mall purchase for the reason that it has over the past few years seen a decline in retail quality, and vacancy in this mall has increased.

Here you see some of the Tallahassee Mall's more successful retailers, other quality retailers exist within this mall that I couldn't photograph tonight:

70865532805.jpg

70865343365.jpg

d2d2f555.jpg

70865313541.jpg

But here you see some of the second rate stores I credit for lowering the quality component of this mall.

70864568837.jpg

the image doesn't show the numerous holes that have been around this sign since they moved into this mall over 5 years ago.

Here is a look into the interior, as you can see the cheap fixtures around the door and the discount store racks.

70864398469.jpg

(That was for CityBoy)

meanwhile these other second rate stores have popped up and often go out of business because they fail to draw customers, mainly because of the way they present themselves from the outside.

70865633669.jpg

Meanwhile, Goody's one of the mall's other strong stores, is just lonely down there by itself.

70865666181.jpg

Reason this new ownership is so exciting. If discount/outlet approach is what the developer brings to this mall, that will be much nicer than empty walls, and vacant storefronts. I'm excited!!

Archived