Malls

Florida

Tallahassee Malls  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Which Mall do you currently shop most?

• Governor's Square Mall
    • Tallahassee Mall
    • Both about the Same
  2. 2. How would you rate the Governor's Square Mall?

• Excellent
    • Good
    • OK
    • Sub-Quality
    • Poor
  3. 3. How would you rate the Tallahassee Mall?

• Excellent
    • Good
    • OK
    • Sub-Quality
    • Poor
  4. 4. Do you think the pending Pinnacle at Cross Creek mall is a threat to any of the following Malls?

• Governor's Square
    • Tallahassee Mall

As far as malls go, the two in Tallahassee are pretty sad. Although when I lived in the area, shopping there was a treat since most of the better malls were hours away. Unortunately, I don't believe Tallahassee is quite ready for upscale shopping. I do think Tallahassee could attract a retailer like Nordstrom easily, but I don't see an Armani store opening any time soon. :) Based on what I've seen of Feldman Properties, I really don't think this is the developer to bring in better retail stores. They seem to be in the outlet mall business, but an Off 5th wouldn't be a bad idea for Tallahassee Mall...

Taurean J- Why eat at Cheesecake Factory when you could eat at any of Tallahassee's local restaurants? I can think of 5 off the top of my head that are 10 times better than Cheesecake Factory. Besides, this summer you'll be blessed with a Ted's Montana Grill. We don't even have one of those in Charlotte! :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Passed that Ted's today... looks like it may open in a month or so.

71074122757.jpg

71074104581.jpg

71074063365.jpg

Took these from my car when me and my lady were leaving Play it Again Sports. BTW, they don't have Play it Again prices, stay away from there.

• Replies 613
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think a "premium" outlet center like the ones in Ellenton and Orlando would be nice at that location and serve the market best, along with an open-air section with the movie theatre, like lakelander mentioned. Or make the entire thing open air...

TaureanJ, I know about the decline of Tallahassee Mall. I honestly haven't been back to it in a long time. When I was living there, I made the switch to Governor's Square like most people did I guess. Also, neither mall was a good fit for me because I can't find some of what I like to buy. But it was a mall, so I went... :) And yes, Ted's is expected to open this summer. I don't know an exact date.

BTW- Do they still have the comic book expo at Tallahassee Mall? I loved going to it because taht was my closest source of Roberta Gregory comics...

Honestly, the idea of an Outlet Mall isn't all that bad. Considering you'd be getting great brands from high quality retailers at a low price. This mall would truly thrive if it went Outlet.

The outdoor deal sounds good... but I'm not so sure I'd like to shop at a completely outdoor mall.

I seriously doubt these developers are going to change it into an outlet mall. It would be pretty foolish to get rid of solid retailers like Parisians, Dillards, GAP, Barnes & Noble, etc. and replace them with outlet chains in an unproven market. Most likely, they'll probably just make minor upgrades and become a little more aggressive in recruiting quality retailers and restuarants to the center.

^Yeah. Its not a knock against Tally. For the most part, successful outlet malls operate in markets with a decent tourism base or high metro population. As of right now, the outlets in Destin pretty much fill the need for these types of shops in the Panhandle. While Tally is growing, its still to early to risk converting a mall with nearly 1 million sf, into an outlet center.

Destin's outlet malls are great, but again thats well over 100 miles away from Tallahassee. In building a city, and you should know this, we seek not to travel that far for convienance. I think the inclusion of some outlet stores in the Tallahassee Mall would be wonderful. People here like name brand products just like they do in Destin, St. Augustine, Orlando, and Sunrise. And like people in those places we also like to save money when we shop.

How much sense does it make to have a healthy stable population of shoppers who have to pay more currently when they can pay less at an Outlet mall for a better variety of name brand products? Truth is, the needs of the Tallahassee market haven't been met by either retailers or restaurants. Hopefully someone will realize this soon and move to help fill the voids.

I'd also watch for tourism to increase as development increases south of Tallahassee in the rapidly growing costal Wakulla and Franklyn counties.

Nobody can predict the future, but at its current size, the city and its market (including everything from Panama City to Lake City) just isn't large enough to support an outlet mall the size of Tallahassee Mall. The entire metros of Jacksonville and Tampa don't even have outlet malls that size. You may be right, the city's needs, like many other large and mid-sized metros in the US, probably aren't being met, but until the demographics are right, in the eyes of retailers, don't expect much to change overnight.

Over night change doesn't exist in my opinion. And one would be unwise to assume a this fairly decent mall would abandon the stores you mentioned before and some of the other quality retail stores to pursue solely Outlet. I just think a mall with vacancies and new ownership has the opportunity to pull in a few outlet stores to entice the penny penching bargain hunters that reside in this area.

• 1 month later...

The Company Has now on its Website a Profile for the Tallahassee Mall. Looks like Burlington C.F. is going to stay (yuck!).

Tallahassee Mall

Year Built / Renovated: 1971 / 1990 - 1993

Acquired: July 2005

Acquisition Cost: $61.4 million

Overview:

Located 1-1/2 miles south of 1-10, the mall is easily accessible from all areas of town as well as surrounding smaller communities

High profile tenant line up Dillard

^LOL! So does Burlington!!!

A customer of mine said the most interesting thing to me today. She thinks the reason the Tallahassee Mall doesn't do as well is because of the Large 20 screen AMC Theatre. I looked at her confused for a second, then she explained, those people who are patrons of the movies, don't tend to shop. They go in for the movies and leave. Meanwhile, they are taking up good parking spaces used by those who would desire some parking, namely those who would like to shop at or around Parisians and that wing of the mall... notice... it is very quiet on that side... I believe there are pictures to back up this claim. So here is my solution... Feldman needs to work on designing a parking garage that can accomodate the massive movie crowd, so those who desire parking for their shopping trips will have a place also.

Hmmm interesting. I just don't like the idea that Ross is in the mall. That makes the mall seem cheap.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

it's not "in" the mall, just attached to the mall. Still, I agree with you that it makes the mall look downscale, although it is convenient for me, since I live on John Knox and don't have to drive across town anymore

The Company Has now on its Website a Profile for the Tallahassee Mall. Looks like Burlington C.F. is going to stay (yuck!).

Tallahassee Mall

Year Built / Renovated: 1971 / 1990 - 1993

Acquired: July 2005

Acquisition Cost: $61.4 million

Overview:

Located 1-1/2 miles south of 1-10, the mall is easily accessible from all areas of town as well as surrounding smaller communities

High profile tenant line up Dillard

• 4 weeks later...

Archived