Malls

Florida

Tallahassee Malls  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Which Mall do you currently shop most?

• Governor's Square Mall
    • Tallahassee Mall
    • Both about the Same
  2. 2. How would you rate the Governor's Square Mall?

• Excellent
    • Good
    • OK
    • Sub-Quality
    • Poor
  3. 3. How would you rate the Tallahassee Mall?

• Excellent
    • Good
    • OK
    • Sub-Quality
    • Poor
  4. 4. Do you think the pending Pinnacle at Cross Creek mall is a threat to any of the following Malls?

• Governor's Square
    • Tallahassee Mall

I have been to East Chase several times and liked it. The only bad thing I can say is that it finally killed off Montgomery Mall and is beating up Eastdale mall too. I wish we had Eastdale's ice skating rink in one of our Malls.

bhdr if you are as familiar w/MGM as I am, you'll have to say that Montgomery Mall was almost dead before EastChase came on the scene. I think it would have died even if EastChase never came on the scene.

I also think that Eastdale will and is coming back b/c it seems to have found its niche in the MGM market. I grew up on that ice rink. I bet I skated there hundreds of times. This was back in the day when you could leave your kids alone in the mall while the parent shopped.

FL take no personal offense to what I've said. My passion is directed towards the fallacy that this was going to be a Lifestyle Center. I'm sure it will make a fine strip mall. It's also directed to what I've come to learn is TLH's biggest obstacle, "the we're not good enough, we'll just accept what we can get" attitude. It runs rampant in this community from those in charge of things to many of its citizens. I've been amazed at how much I've run into this attitude lately. We've got the beauty and brains in this city but it seems we fall way short on the passion and gumption. We are just happy to eat the grizzle, but not me and I've butted numerous heads on this point lately.

FL if you can't see the difference between true lifestyle centers like Mizner Park and Santana Row and strip malls, well that's like saying Motel 6 and W hotels are the same thing b/c they both provide shelter.

GG that's a good description to use: "Village Feel." I don't get it all from the plan for Pinnacle. What I do get is the feeling that if I'm shopping there on foot, I might get mowed down by a car.

Sad to hear that Bass Pro isn't looking at Tally Mall anymore. I found that proposal to be very exciting. I hope that's not the nail in the coffin for Tally Mall. Maybe if Dillards locks into Fallschase, DeVoe can lure Bass Pro for his strip mall.

• Replies 613
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

bhdr if you are as familiar w/MGM as I am, you'll have to say that Montgomery Mall was almost dead before EastChase came on the scene. I think it would have died even if EastChase never came on the scene.

I also think that Eastdale will and is coming back b/c it seems to have found its niche in the MGM market. I grew up on that ice rink. I bet I skated there hundreds of times. This was back in the day when you could leave your kids alone in the mall while the parent shopped.

FL take no personal offense to what I've said. My passion is directed towards the fallacy that this was going to be a Lifestyle Center. I'm sure it will make a fine strip mall. It's also directed to what I've come to learn is TLH's biggest obstacle, "the we're not good enough, we'll just accept what we can get" attitude. It runs rampant in this community from those in charge of things to many of its citizens. I've been amazed at how much I've run into this attitude lately. We've got the beauty and brains in this city but it seems we fall way short on the passion and gumption. We are just happy to eat the grizzle, but not me and I've butted numerous heads on this point lately.

FL if you can't see the difference between true lifestyle centers like Mizner Park and Santana Row and strip malls, well that's like saying Motel 6 and W hotels are the same thing b/c they both provide shelter.

GG that's a good description to use: "Village Feel." I don't get it all from the plan for Pinnacle. What I do get is the feeling that if I'm shopping there on foot, I might get mowed down by a car.

Sad to hear that Bass Pro isn't looking at Tally Mall anymore. I found that proposal to be very exciting. I hope that's not the nail in the coffin for Tally Mall. Maybe if Dillards locks into Fallschase, DeVoe can lure Bass Pro for his strip mall.

Yeah I skated there many times too.

Maybe they could do away with the Residental behind it in this site plan. Then move the line of stores back with another row store in front of them. It seems like they would then have something similiar to Destin maybe.

Just a thought.

Ooh I like that ice skating rink!

• 2 weeks later...

For the first time in '08 I visited the Disco Mall yesterday and noticed that the old Wendy's is now going to be a Japanese eatery. Also the candy store on the second level is no more...oh where can one get Jelly Belly's to enjoy while shopping now?

Does anyone know if they really are going to update the common interior areas and if so, when? I'm hoping it is going to happen and soon b/c that's the only excuse I can think of for all the dead, half-dead and super dusty plants all over the interior. Look around the next time you are in there, it's rather shameful.

And speaking of shameful, the Men's Dept. in Dillard was a disaster. After spending most of my shopping time in bigger city malls and department stores lately, this place was sad looking. I understand they have to restock the place, but when not working do they have to leave all the trolley and carts full of clothes in the aisles? Do they have to leave all the new sales slips all over the counters? The clothes were so crammed in there it was hard to look at anything. Again I understand they need to do some restocking since the seasons are about to change, but how come other stores can restock and you never notice it or at least not inconvenienced by it? Come on Dillards, we deserve better than a Wal-mart/General Dollar interior appearance if you want us to pay those prices!

For the first time in '08 I visited the Disco Mall yesterday and noticed that the old Wendy's is now going to be a Japanese eatery. Also the candy store on the second level is no more...oh where can one get Jelly Belly's to enjoy while shopping now?

Does anyone know if they really are going to update the common interior areas and if so, when? I'm hoping it is going to happen and soon b/c that's the only excuse I can think of for all the dead, half-dead and super dusty plants all over the interior. Look around the next time you are in there, it's rather shameful.

And speaking of shameful, the Men's Dept. in Dillard was a disaster. After spending most of my shopping time in bigger city malls and department stores lately, this place was sad looking. I understand they have to restock the place, but when not working do they have to leave all the trolley and carts full of clothes in the aisles? Do they have to leave all the new sales slips all over the counters? The clothes were so crammed in there it was hard to look at anything. Again I understand they need to do some restocking since the seasons are about to change, but how come other stores can restock and you never notice it or at least not inconvenienced by it? Come on Dillards, we deserve better than a Wal-mart/General Dollar interior appearance if you want us to pay those prices!

While this is a valid concern I wonder why less attention is payed to Tallahassee Retail in general. We don't deserve to shop in clutter and filth, because we cant support a Nieman Marcus or a Nordstroms.

Poonther, did you complain to anyone in Dillards?

Not at the time, but I should have.....however since I posted this information, I have emailed Gov. Sq. Mall management and Dillard's. I'll let you know what their reply is...if they do reply.

I do keep in mind that Dillard's isn't Bloomies or Saks and I don't expect it to be up to that caliber, however yesterday Dillard's was a horrible mess, so I don't feel I'm being nit-picky. On a positive note, Macy's which can be rather rough and unkempt looking was actually in great shape yesterday.

Man that's going to be a huge Forever 21 store there...my niece will be excited.

BTW: I searched the S&K store for signs of Mike Rucker (it was posted here earlier that he may work there) but it must have been his day-off yesterday b/c there was no sign of him.

Not at the time, but I should have.....however since I posted this information, I have emailed Gov. Sq. Mall management and Dillard's. I'll let you know what their reply is...if they do reply.

I do keep in mind that Dillard's isn't Bloomies or Saks and I don't expect it to be up to that caliber, however yesterday Dillard's was a horrible mess, so I don't feel I'm being nit-picky. On a positive note, Macy's which can be rather rough and unkempt looking was actually in great shape yesterday.

In my experience, the Dillards formerly of the Tallahassee Mall usually had more clothes in the men's department on sale that the Dillards in the Governors Square (Management-Hates-When-People-Call-It-A) Mall. As to the clutter, get used to it. Both stores always had a problem with clerks and stockers leaving carts and excess clothes out and about. I have mentioned it to clerks and at least a couple assistant managers receiving the promise that something would be done but it never helped. I guess that's the quality one receives with minimum wage (or close to it) employees. They have more to do than time in their shifts so they compromise. At least that's my observation.

In my experience, the Dillards formerly of the Tallahassee Mall usually had more clothes in the men's department on sale that the Dillards in the Governors Square (Management-Hates-When-People-Call-It-A) Mall. As to the clutter, get used to it. Both stores always had a problem with clerks and stockers leaving carts and excess clothes out and about. I have mentioned it to clerks and at least a couple assistant managers receiving the promise that something would be done but it never helped. I guess that's the quality one receives with minimum wage (or close to it) employees. They have more to do than time in their shifts so they compromise. At least that's my observation.

No you don't have to get used to it! :angry: Nothing against you Beukeboom, but if talking to local management and staff doesn't work you need to call Corporate and report their lazy behinds! Be persistant about it until something changes. There are too many people out there who would love to work at Dillard's. If the little lazies won't cooperate the only compromise I have for them is an invitation to EXIT the store.

Man that's going to be a huge Forever 21 store there...my niece will be excited.

BTW: I searched the S&K store for signs of Mike Rucker (it was posted here earlier that he may work there) but it must have been his day-off yesterday b/c there was no sign of him.

Frankly, I think that is a bit of an unrealistic expectation. Coming from someone who worked in management in retail at a department store in major market before coming to grad school up here, I can tell you that firstly you're nitpicking a couple carts on an already large aisle. The fact that there were sales associates standing there is an example of a level of service you won't get at Wal-Mart. Dillard's (and many retailers) train their associates to help the CUSTOMERS, not see them as something that impedes their work. You better believe that at a Wal-Mart or a lower retailer they wouldn't have even been able to help the customers because they would be so caught up in emptying that cart. To each their own, but I'd rather that associate be able to help me find a size than be concerned about transfering new stock from a cart. That's service.

Department Stores actually have different employees who have the sole responsibility of emptying those carts: replenishment teams. They don't sell- nor do they typically ever touch a register. These same associates assist with recovery in the store, and frankly, you guys don't realize how torn up a major department store in a college town gets on a day to day basis- especially on weekends (which I'm going to venture a guess; this was when you visited the mall). A few customers might notice a cart they can easily manuever around on a wide aisle, but BELIEVE ME _everyone_ notices a department where clothes are lying on the floors, on top of racks, and stack out tables look like a hurricane came through. That is the reality of retail. The fact that the MOST that bothers you is a cart on an aisle suggets to me that the Dillards at Governor's Square Mall is doing a fantastic job given the store's volume.

And emailing mall management seems almost funny. They have no authority over tenants and their replenishment policies, even less so a major tenant such as Dillard's. Believe me, General Growth Properties has more important fish to fry than a major retailer they have a lot of equity in.

Frankly, I think that is a bit of an unrealistic expectation. Coming from someone who worked in management in retail at a department store in major market before coming to grad school up here, I can tell you that firstly you're nitpicking a couple carts on an already large aisle. The fact that there were sales associates standing there is an example of a level of service you won't get at Wal-Mart. Dillard's (and many retailers) train their associates to help the CUSTOMERS, not see them as something that impedes their work. You better believe that at a Wal-Mart or a lower retailer they wouldn't have even been able to help the customers because they would be so caught up in emptying that cart. To each their own, but I'd rather that associate be able to help me find a size than be concerned about transfering new stock from a cart. That's service.

Department Stores actually have different employees who have the sole responsibility of emptying those carts: replenishment teams. They don't sell- nor do they typically ever touch a register. These same associates assist with recovery in the store, and frankly, you guys don't realize how torn up a major department store in a college town gets on a day to day basis- especially on weekends (which I'm going to venture a guess; this was when you visited the mall). A few customers might notice a cart they can easily manuever around on a wide aisle, but BELIEVE ME _everyone_ notices a department where clothes are lying on the floors, on top of racks, and stack out tables look like a hurricane came through. That is the reality of retail. The fact that the MOST that bothers you is a cart on an aisle suggets to me that the Dillards at Governor's Square Mall is doing a fantastic job given the store's volume.

And emailing mall management seems almost funny. They have no authority over tenants and their replenishment policies, even less so a major tenant such as Dillard's. Believe me, General Growth Properties has more important fish to fry than a major retailer they have a lot of equity in.

If you would have read my other post above, you'd have realized I visited Dillard's yesterday (Tuesday) both in the afternoon and several hours later in the evening. So it was not a weekend.

You can definitely say that I am nitpicking and that's your opinion, however let's get the facts correct, it wasn't one or two carts in a large aisle, it was several large carts in the large and small aisles not to mention boxes open everywhere and the cologne/tie counters cluttered w/sales tags. Nothing had moved or changed in that area since my 2pm visit until my 7pm visit. I thought at 2pm they might be on lunch break, but since nothing changed since my second visit, I don't think they were. Also the aisles were so cluttered that I had to move a box so a woman pushing her son in a wheelchair could get by and that action is what really got me to thinking about the mess of the place.

Also if you would have noticed in my first post about this situation, you'd have realized I emailed Mall Management about the dead and dying plants all over the mall. I am hoping this sad state of affairs in the interior corridors of the mall is being over-looked b/c they might be soon remodeling the place as has been stated here. I emailed only Dillard's about the problems I encountered at Dillards.

I travel all over the country and shop at high end malls in major cities and smaller malls in cities the same size as Tally and I must say that the appearance of our malls and department stores are generally the most unkempt of them all.

Are you still in grad school?

If you would have read my other post above, you'd have realized I visited Dillard's yesterday (Tuesday) both in the afternoon and several hours later in the evening. So it was not a weekend.

You can definitely say that I am nitpicking and that's your opinion, however let's get the facts correct, it wasn't one or two carts in a large aisle, it was several large carts in the large and small aisles not to mention boxes open everywhere and the cologne/tie counters cluttered w/sales tags. Nothing had moved or changed in that area since my 2pm visit until my 7pm visit. I thought at 2pm they might be on lunch break, but since nothing changed since my second visit, I don't think they were. Also the aisles were so cluttered that I had to move a box so a woman pushing her son in a wheelchair could get by and that action is what really got me to thinking about the mess of the place.

Also if you would have noticed in my first post about this situation, you'd have realized I emailed Mall Management about the dead and dying plants all over the mall. I am hoping this sad state of affairs in the interior corridors of the mall is being over-looked b/c they might be soon remodeling the place as has been stated here. I emailed only Dillard's about the problems I encountered at Dillards.

I travel all over the country and shop at high end malls in major cities and smaller malls in cities the same size as Tally and I must say that the appearance of our malls and department stores are generally the most unkempt of them all.

I had read your other post but I wasn't clear on that one point, so thank you for explaining your opinion. It's just that there is a big tendancy for people (including myself before I worked retail) to not understand exactly what is involved in retail, and how complex the whole operation actually is. Could those employees have pushed the carts into a closet for a period of time until the replenishment team came back? Sure. I think that is the criticism, especially given that it was a Tuesday.

I have been very impressed with this Dillard's compared with several othes I've been to (Oaks Mall in Gainesville comes to mind). It's certainly much larger than the average north Florida Dillard's. Right now I think you see a lot more merchandise on the selling floor because they are still dumping stock from the Tallahassee Mall and they likely still have stock left over from the holiday season. That's likely going to change over time. I think we should evaluate the store then.

Yes, I'm still in grad school and loving every minute that I'm not in retail. I can tell you that of all the jobs I've had, retail was one of the most stressful. You'll find the managers deserve every dollar of their salary given the hours they put in and the pressures they're under. All I wanted was to make sure that we keep this in mind when we're in a store and see a cart or a couple of receipts lying around. I do concede that there's a big difference between one cart and several carts blocking wheelchair access.

• 2 weeks later...

UPdate {sodEmoji.|} Tallahassee Mall

Early Renderings of Tallahassee Mall Renovations

Main Entry

gallery_3748_8_18292.jpg

Exterior Streetscape Rendering

gallery_3748_8_5213.jpg

Exterior Streetscape Rendering

gallery_3748_8_29030.jpg

Exterior Tire Kingdom Rendering

gallery_3748_8_9682.jpg

Food Court Rendering

gallery_3748_8_28076.jpg

Common Area Rendering

gallery_3748_8_6356.jpg

This was pure spywork... :shades:

UPdate {sodEmoji.|} Pinnacle at Cross Creek

gallery_3748_8_38961.jpg

This site plan gives a more detailed look at how the square footage of the shopping center will be divided.

The information provided also has this to say:

Colonial Properties Trust is building The Pinnacle at Cross Creek, a

one million square foot mixed use development, in the northwest

quadrant of I-10 and SR-90. The development entails almost 900,000 sq

ft of retail space, 45,000 sq ft of office space, a theater, hotel (Embassy

Suites) and will also spotlight the Tallahassee Auto Museum.

UPdate {sodEmoji.|} Pinnacle at Cross Creek

gallery_3748_8_38961.jpg

This site plan gives a more detailed look at how the square footage of the shopping center will be divided.

The information provided also has this to say:

Colonial Properties Trust is building The Pinnacle at Cross Creek, a

one million square foot mixed use development, in the northwest

quadrant of I-10 and SR-90. The development entails almost 900,000 sq

ft of retail space, 45,000 sq ft of office space, a theater, hotel (Embassy

Suites) and will also spotlight the Tallahassee Auto Museum.

HUH? my embassy suites will not be downtown? but at Pinnacle?

At first I wasn't crazy about the layout of the mall, but after looking at it again, it is starting to grow on me. It seems to have the best of both worlds in being about to park and go straight to your store or have the option of walking around and shopping and not have to trek across the parking lot. If that makes any sense. :-)

Haven't seen this mentioned anywhere.....the Gap in Tallahassee Mall is closing this weekend.

The Gap Kids part is moving back to Gov Sq (and they are losing Gap Body.)

Gap expects to open a store in The Pinnacle when construction is complete.

This is another step in the slow death of Tall. Mall.

Archived