Malls

Florida

Tallahassee Malls  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Which Mall do you currently shop most?

• Governor's Square Mall
    • Tallahassee Mall
    • Both about the Same
  2. 2. How would you rate the Governor's Square Mall?

• Excellent
    • Good
    • OK
    • Sub-Quality
    • Poor
  3. 3. How would you rate the Tallahassee Mall?

• Excellent
    • Good
    • OK
    • Sub-Quality
    • Poor
  4. 4. Do you think the pending Pinnacle at Cross Creek mall is a threat to any of the following Malls?

• Governor's Square
    • Tallahassee Mall

^Interesting news GG. Why are we now just getting an outlet type of store? I didn't even know Bass had those type of stores. Many metro's our size support a full-on Bass Pro, so why can't we? Montgomery, AL is one of them. While I'm sad to see Tally Mall lose them, it does seem more in-line w/what I see from Bass that they'd want interstate frontage out at DeVoe's Mega Strip Center (DMSC.) The only Bass I know of (and I don't know of that many off hand) that doesn't have interstate frontage is the one in Destin...mainly b/c there's no interstate there. :)

The other point I wanted to make about the RRM and Nordstrom's is that if they even were coming to Tally (again we are way too small) they surely wouldn't go to Tally Mall. I think they'd be more inclined to pick Gov. Sq. or DMSC.

• Replies 613
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

^Interesting news GG. Why are we now just getting an outlet type of store? I didn't even know Bass had those type of stores. Many metro's our size support a full-on Bass Pro, so why can't we? Montgomery, AL is one of them. While I'm sad to see Tally Mall lose them, it does seem more in-line w/what I see from Bass that they'd want interstate frontage out at DeVoe's Mega Strip Center (DMSC.) The only Bass I know of (and I don't know of that many off hand) that doesn't have interstate frontage is the one in Destin...mainly b/c there's no interstate there. :)

The other point I wanted to make about the RRM and Nordstrom's is that if they even were coming to Tally (again we are way too small) they surely wouldn't go to Tally Mall. I think they'd be more inclined to pick Gov. Sq. or DMSC.

I'd never heard of a Bass Pro Outlet either...I have a feeling that it may be the RRM being kept alive by rednecks themselves :) haha KIDDING. I would love if a Bass Pro would come to Tallahassee. I think the location in Destin gets away with no interstate because if the amount of tourist traffic it gets, and because it is one of the premier areas in North Florida for offshore fishing.

I'd never heard of a Bass Pro Outlet either...I have a feeling that it may be the RRM being kept alive by rednecks themselves :) haha KIDDING. I would love if a Bass Pro would come to Tallahassee. I think the location in Destin gets away with no interstate because if the amount of tourist traffic it gets, and because it is one of the premier areas in North Florida for offshore fishing.

Yea. Bass pro needs to come here... We have such an abundance of saltwater and freshwater fishing here, and its a great market.

I imagine they will locate at Devoes Strip center.

Can anyone confirm if they've started construction on the Panera at Tally Mall?

I can only assume so, they have the contruction wall up with a Panera Mural on it., so i would assume work is ongoing behind the scenes

I can only assume so, they have the contruction wall up with a Panera Mural on it., so i would assume work is ongoing behind the scenes

The wall has been up since last year . i think dec. and they have not worked on the on Panera bread location since Jan of this year , i heard they are waiting for the news on the Dillards space , i think they are making a mistake by waiting . there are so many office's and people that work in this area , that they would do great. Hope they start back up soon.

I understand that the Panera is ready on the inside, but they have decided to back away from opening, at least for the time being. With that mall losing more tenants than what they possibly might be gaining, it would probably be in Panera's interest to not open. With the Dillard's gone, that area of the mall is just a dead end.

I understand that the Panera is ready on the inside, but they have decided to back away from opening, at least for the time being. With that mall losing more tenants than what they possibly might be gaining, it would probably be in Panera's interest to not open. With the Dillard's gone, that area of the mall is just a dead end.

I still think that that Panera Bread would clean up in this location with or with out dillard's space filled at this time , 90 % of the stores in that area are filled , Next store is the book store and it is always filled with people . If the store is done in side , then way is the out side not touched . does not add up.

The Goody's Clothing store in the Tallahassee Mall is one of the 103 stores closing. What a shame , this mall cant get a brake .

I have a theory. I think that the mall is letting some of these stores close on purpose. Simply because when more stores are closed it will make it easier for the mall to re-build and remodel. Not havin gto ask the store to close down temporally. Yeah it may sound odd, but I know of several malls that were ghost stores and then all the sudden millions of $$$ were invested into it and get rebuilt and alot of the stores return for business. Ive seen Pompano Mall and west palm beach mall in South Florida do this a few years ago. Now those malls are booming with business! So I will wait and see.

Wow another hit to Tally Mall and once again another vacant spot on North Monroe. Even though I wasn't much of a Goody's shopper, I'm rather surprised by this news. It looked like this store was somewhat busy most of the time.

They only had 6 FL locations and they appear to be shutting down all of them BUT the Lake City location. I wonder if Kohl's entry into the FL market had anything to do w/these closings?

Looks like they'll keep their GA border stores open in Bainbridge, T'ville and Valdosta.

mracca, interesting theory and you may just be correct. You know at this stage of the Tally Mall's life they do remind me of Pompano Fashion Square. They lost Dillard's (previously Jordan Marsh) and then slowly but surely stores began pulling out until the place was almost deserted. It was a ghost town for what, 5 or so years and then they pretty much demolished the place or at least renovated it and changed it from an enclosed mall to an open-air one. Now it is thriving w/stores like Macy's to Office Depot to Lowe's. We can only hope this is what will happen to Tally Mall.

BTW: I also read that Best Buy is slowly closing many of their Sam Goody stores. Do we still have one in Tally Mall? If so I wonder if and when they'll get the axe?

• 3 weeks later...

Interesting and sad news. I wonder what kind of time table they are talking about for this. Also, did anyone bother scrolling down to read the cryptic comments made about the Northwood Mall? Apparently the zoning densities permitted there are very high and something like a six story mixed-use development is in the works. They went on to say that the whole area (whatever that means) will probably look quite different in five years. Can anyone shed further light upon these claims? They are very intriuging to say the least.

That is all gossip. The AMC has a binding contract that is good for like 5 years or something. This has already been settled a month or so ago by Feldman's.. I believe it was said that a RAVE theater was going up at Falls Chase.

That is all gossip. The AMC has a binding contract that is good for like 5 years or something. This has already been settled a month or so ago by Feldman's.. I believe it was said that a RAVE theater was going up at Falls Chase.

You are so correct , Feldman's did say that A M C was not going any where. AMC has it made at this loction , all the parking they need.

The Goody's Clothing store in the Tallahassee Mall is one of the 103 stores closing. What a shame , this mall cant get a break.

I purchased some of the fixtures for sale from Goodies and asked the manager why the closing. She told me Goodies filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy and is closing 65 of its stores. This is a bummer for me especially because Goodies was one of the stores in Tallahassee where I could find inexpensive clothing. Now I'm down to Wal-Mart, Target & Beal's Outlet with the Dillards in the GS mall being "iffy" (the Tall. Mall Dillards always had some men's clothing on sale but the one in GS mall sometimes puts them on sale). But all of them require more driving than the Goodies. Nothing on North Monroe any longer.

Back in the early stages of the current Fallschase plans, a movie theater was proposed for the Southeastern corner of Mahan and Bucklake Road. This is the part of Fallschase that is across Bucklake Road from the Front of Costco. At the time, there was no mention as to who it would be, but it seems like a smaller location than what AMC currently has.

• 2 weeks later...

Seems the RRM has been in full swing again. I've read and heard that Bloomingdales (Bloomies for short, not Blooms) is moving in Tally Mall. I definitely think this is wildly false! Bloomies(my favorite dept. store)actually has very limited stores throughout the country. In the past few years they just moved into the Orlando and San Francisco markets. If Jax and Tampa don't have a Bloomies, do you really think we'd get one? Our metro is way way too small and our median income IMHO is too low. IMHO we'll get a Nordstroms way before we'll get a Bloomies and I don't see that happening for years and years. Oh and BTW, if by some crazy cosmic line-up they did come to town, it would NOT be Tally Mall.

Here's a map of Bloomies locations to prove the point:

Bloomies locations (just scroll over the state to see locations)

DeVoe's Mega Strip Mall aka Pinnacle now set to open in:

DeVoe states that part of the delay is b/c of the economy and then of course he states it is also w/acquiring permits. While that is probably true, DeVoe never misses a chance to bash the process from what I've seen...........and judging from the trail of ugly bldgs. he's left around town........that process isn't so strict.

Of course I enjoy reading the rumor mill comments below in the Democrat. Let's repeat this again: There will be NO Nordstrom's or Bloomies at this location. It's going to either be JcPenny or Dillard's or both.

Now the writing is on the wall Tally Mall. Find your direction by 2010.

DeVoe's Mega Strip Mall aka Pinnacle now set to open in:

DeVoe states that part of the delay is b/c of the economy and then of course he states it is also w/acquiring permits. While that is probably true, DeVoe never misses a chance to bash the process from what I've seen...........and judging from the trail of ugly bldgs. he's left around town........that process isn't so strict.

That's what HE claims. Any OFFICIAL word from governmental sources on permit approvals? As I stated before, I'm having a difficult time taking DeVoe's word for it as evidenced by the failed promises of the past. His track record is, let's say, shaky? I'll have a better time with it when the ground is actually broken by construction equipment. Until then, it's all smoke to me.

The new Stone Age store (were The Gap used to be) is awesome. I know a lot of their things is the same, but you tend to see much more of it when it is spread out and not cramped in a small space. I was impressed.

• 2 weeks later...

WTXL did a nice report on the stumbling of Tally Mall. They interviewed Steven Darby, the GM of Tally Mall. He has posted here on UP once or twice. My favorite quote from the story (watch the vid if you can) is "It'll almost be like Atlanta" Yeah a third mall will make us as big as ATL, good news for the airport. :)

Tally Mall Struggling

WTXL did a nice report on the stumbling of Tally Mall. They interviewed Steven Darby, the GM of Tally Mall. He has posted here on UP once or twice. My favorite quote from the story (watch the vid if you can) is "It'll almost be like Atlanta" Yeah a third mall will make us as big as ATL, good news for the airport. :)

Tally Mall Struggling

"Those are really not a Tallahassee Mall specific issue. It's just been continued throughout the economy and through struggles that these larger chains have been going through over the last couple years," - Steven Darby.

Dont blame me, blame that man behind the tree.

The fact is Tallahassee Mall continues to deliver a far inferior product than Governor's Square and the planned Devoe development. They sign a lot of local independent stores to leases, and honestly, that isnt going to do anything for the quality of the mall. As Commissioner Desloge said, "This is capitalism at its finest." Good riddance, Tallahassee Mall.

Let's build a new minor league ballpark there! ;)

Archived