Malls

Florida

Tallahassee Malls  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Which Mall do you currently shop most?

• Governor's Square Mall
    • Tallahassee Mall
    • Both about the Same
  2. 2. How would you rate the Governor's Square Mall?

• Excellent
    • Good
    • OK
    • Sub-Quality
    • Poor
  3. 3. How would you rate the Tallahassee Mall?

• Excellent
    • Good
    • OK
    • Sub-Quality
    • Poor
  4. 4. Do you think the pending Pinnacle at Cross Creek mall is a threat to any of the following Malls?

• Governor's Square
    • Tallahassee Mall

• Replies 613
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That is wonderful news. Hopefully with the addition of Panera, and the proposed taking back of space from Burlington's (which apparently includes both the interior and exterior frontage, this might be Tallahassee Mall's first step at moving towards the more recent trend of adding additional outdoor space, etc. which I believe is referred to in the shopping mall development circles as "lifestyle centers" (additional outdoor dining areas, etc.). Simon properties has done a wonderful job of completing just such a transformation over the last 5-7 years at Cordova Mall in Pensacola (http://www.simon.com/mall/mall_info.aspx?ID=193). Now if we could just lobby for a Jos. A Bank ;) to add to the mix.....

It would be awesome if the Tallahassee mall had something like a best buy or sears that sold electronics, tools, and lawn equipment. Men stuff. Then we would truly one again have a strong shopping corridor on N. Monroe.

This is what I have been stressing about.... men's stuff!!

It would be awesome if the Tallahassee mall had something like a best buy or sears that sold electronics, tools, and lawn equipment. Men stuff. Then we would truly one again have a strong shopping corridor on N. Monroe.

What the HELL is men's stuff? Since when did inanimate electronic objects and tools get assigned gender? Do you have to flash your "manhood" or lack of it to the cashier in order to purchase these products? :) "I'm sorry Miss, but you'll need your Father, BF, Husband or some other male to purchase that Flat-Screen TV and hammer for you....sorry but that's the rules here in 1950....I mean 2007." Being gender-biased ranks right up there w/being racially-biased in my book.

josefk interesting post about Cordova Mall. That mall was really hurting back in the 80's and 90's. Glad to see Simon fix it up. It would really help our two malls if one of the big corporate mall owners bought our malls and not these second-rate corporate structures that own them currently. Simon would be a great choice, but even better would be Westfield IMHO.

That's also interesting about Tally not having a Jos. A Bank. While I've never shopped there, I've noticed their stores in several metro markets our size and w/this being a white collar town, I would think they would do well.

"men stuff": Products and services that men can purchase and recieve utility from.

Not to drift too far off the subject here, but I grew up in a farily traditional, old fashioned family where the males were expected to tackle repairs to the home, and maintain the lawn and exterior of the house. The girls in my family were to take care of the indoors, and when the boys had no work to do outside we helped inside the same way the girls would help outside when there was no work to do inside.

Not that these products have gender assigned to them, but these are items many men I know can appreciate.

I won't drift too far either...but when you bring up gender assignment, I must comment. :)

I too was brought up in a similar household, but as an adult, I evolved and have changed my views drastically, mainly from opening my eyes and realizing these stereotypes are absurd. These stereotypes can also inflict pain and confusion in impressionable boys and girls that don't fit snugly into these stereotypes.

I was just hoping these antiqued stereotypes much like the ones that deal w/race and ethnic groups had died down in your generation which is one below (younger) than mine. By your comments and I see I was sadly mistaken.

"men stuff": Products and services that men can purchase and recieve utility from.

Oh I get it now, you mean like condoms????

I won't drift too far either...but when you bring up gender assignment, I must comment. :)

I too was brought up in a similar household, but as an adult, I evolved and have changed my views drastically, mainly from opening my eyes and realizing these stereotypes are absurd. These stereotypes can also inflict pain and confusion in impressionable boys and girls that don't fit snugly into these stereotypes.

I was just hoping these antiqued stereotypes much like the ones that deal w/race and ethnic groups had died down in your generation which is one below (younger) than mine. By your comments and I see I was sadly mistaken.

Oh I get it now, you mean like condoms????

Still off-topic here...

We live in a world where men are still heavily associated with tools and manual labor, and women the more finesse things. There are certain things intended to suit certain genders, and you're right it's very much like a racial bias. How about Lifetime, entertainment for Women? I'll be the first to admit, I've enjoyed watching certain programs on that channel but I've never been offended because that isn't intended for men.

Condom can be considered "man stuff" although both sexes may recieve satisfaction in the usage of them. Same can be said of lipstick, and tampons for women.

Very few of us will fit snuggly into any category, this doesn't mean that this category should cease to exist.

Still off-topic here...

Very few of us will fit snuggly into any category, this doesn't mean that this category should cease to exist.

That's exactly the reason why these things should cease to exist IMHO.

Good reasoning and explanations on your part TJ. The Lifetime example was spot-on. I know way too many men that enjoy that channel just like Spike TV is enjoyed by many women.

I just wish all these built-in biases and handed-down stereotypes would cease and people could just be people w/out us having any preconceived expectations of them..........but of course that ain't ever gonna happen.

P.S. On Lifetime movies, the killer/bad guy/evil one is always THE MAN! :lol:

Back on topic...who owns Tally Mall again? Can you link us to their website? I'm just curious what other malls/shopping centers they own.

Can anyone provide the same info for the disco mall aka Gov. Sq?

What the HELL is men's stuff? Since when did inanimate electronic objects and tools get assigned gender? Do you have to flash your "manhood" or lack of it to the cashier in order to purchase these products? :) "I'm sorry Miss, but you'll need your Father, BF, Husband or some other male to purchase that Flat-Screen TV and hammer for you....sorry but that's the rules here in 1950....I mean 2007." Being gender-biased ranks right up there w/being racially-biased in my book.

josefk interesting post about Cordova Mall. That mall was really hurting back in the 80's and 90's. Glad to see Simon fix it up. It would really help our two malls if one of the big corporate mall owners bought our malls and not these second-rate corporate structures that own them currently. Simon would be a great choice, but even better would be Westfield IMHO.

That's also interesting about Tally not having a Jos. A Bank. While I've never shopped there, I've noticed their stores in several metro markets our size and w/this being a white collar town, I would think they would do well.

They would do AMAZING in Tallahassee (I've emailed their corporate contacts on numerous occassions to report the same). Jos. A Bank would fill a much needed gap here. Don't get me wrong- I fully support local businesses, and I realize that Nick's Toggery would probably feel a little more of a pinch in the event that a Jos. A Bank did go in here. Like many other young professionals in Tallahassee though, my budget doesn't always provide for the higher-$$ custom items, yet I would still like something nicer than the everyday (and not always dependable) men's section at Dillards, Parisians, etc. Jos. A Bank is a perfect midway point (and you can't beat their wrinkle-free traveler dress shirts; who has time to iron ;) )

What if I said Tally Mall needed a Coach, or Ann Taylor Loft...places that sell womens stuff. Would that warrant a gender assignment? :)

lol..... I see thetoolman lurking around. Better not make any gender bender comments about his name!! Meh..... even my wife and her girlfriends call them man tools. I like that we men get some things to call our own and the ladys get things to call there own, give us something to talk about and teach each other. Would be any fun if we shared EVERYTHING! Geeesh how boreing!! :P

O somthing about this Tallahassee Mall Topic....... um, they tore down a wall next to Barnes and Noble to put in a new extrance to a new store. Could be the Panara Breads we were talking about.

What if I said Tally Mall needed a Coach, or Ann Taylor Loft...places that sell womens stuff. Would that warrant a gender assignment? :)

As I sit here in my Ann Taylor slacks clutching my Coach purse, I don't understand what you mean GG???

And mracca if your wife and her gal pals decree that it's OK, well then by all means it must be. Happy to hear you allow her to voice an opinion above the roar of your mighty man tools. :) (j/k)

Now please tell me if I'm facing B&N from the inside entrance, where did they tear down this wall and create a new entrance?

Thanks for the Feldman Link TJ. I see they only own about 6 malls and only the one is AZ looks to be a top notch mall. I wish one of our malls would be sold to either Simon or Westfield.

In case you didn't hear employees at Dillards in Tallahase Mall have been notified that the store will be closing in January. :huh:

Dillards will be opening at the new Lifestyle center on Mahan and I-10 in 2009 along with a second store for J.C. Penny

In case you didn't hear employees at Dillards in Tallahase Mall have been notified that the store will be closing in January. :huh:

Dillards will be opening at the new Lifestyle center on Mahan and I-10 in 2009 along with a second store for J.C. Penny

:yahoo: Welcome to UrbanPlanet{sodEmoji.|}Tallahassee MG0280 :yahoo:

and thanks for beating me to the punch. I was going to break this one tonight also. ;)

Ha! We called that one a few months ago in the Pinnacle thread I believe. :) I wonder if the Belk/Parisian will follow too?

Thanks for the official info. mg0280.

Now what to do w/that big ole empty space at Tally Mall???

I wonder what type of store mracca would want to move in there??? Hmmmmmmmmm........

ON EDIT: I forgot to ask the most important question of all: What will happen to the employees of that Dillards? Will they keep them on at the Gov. Sq. store? Will they pay them until the new store opens? Highly doubtful since that could be anywhere from a year to 1.5 years. Or will they just clean house and let them all go? I am sure a few have been around since the days of Gayfers.

Ha! We called that one a few months ago in the Pinnacle thread I believe. :) I wonder if the Belk/Parisian will follow too?

Thanks for the official info. mg0280.

Now what to do w/that big ole empty space at Tally Mall???

I wonder what type of store mracca would want to move in there??? Hmmmmmmmmm........

ON EDIT: I forgot to ask the most important question of all: What will happen to the employees of that Dillards? Will they keep them on at the Gov. Sq. store? Will they pay them until the new store opens? Highly doubtful since that could be anywhere from a year to 1.5 years. Or will they just clean house and let them all go? I am sure a few have been around since the days of Gayfers.

OK WISE GUY!...lol Here is one for you! How about a Brands Mart USA! It may not be the best electronics store or may not have the most knowledgeable sales staff. But it would do actually well here IMHO given that they carry a mix of really cheap electronics but at the same time they carry High end items as well. Most of the stores I have been in are pretty lenient of the employees, so I think College students could work here. Plus most of the Florida City's have one except Tallahassee. Also the location could support all the adjecent towns as well given its near I-10 like most of the other stores. Tallahassee loves its electronic store's Best By and Circuit are ALWAYS busy.

http://www.brandsmartusa.com/

Man I use to be a BrandsMart junkie. The one in Deerfield Bch was crazy busy all the time. Their size stores would be a great fit for that Dillard's location and goodness knows our market could use a big discount electronics dealer like them in town. The only problem I see w/the plan is that BrandsMart stores are only in Metro ATL and Metro South FL. I was surprised to learn they only have 8 locations total.

On another note: If Tally is gonna be w/out one of our Dillard's for at least a year, I really would like to know how Dillard's management is gonna handle the employment of those employees for that year or if they are gonna keep them on at all. If anyone finds out any info. on this, please let us know.

ON EDIT: To help w/mracca's search for a northside electronics store and if BrandsMart can't be lured to our area, how about this electronics and appliance dealer: hhgregg. Has anyone ever been in one? I've noticed they are expanding greatly into the SE from the Midwest region. They new stores as close as Montgomery, AL, Columbus and Macon, GA.

Archived