Malls

Florida

Tallahassee Malls  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Which Mall do you currently shop most?

• Governor's Square Mall
    • Tallahassee Mall
    • Both about the Same
  2. 2. How would you rate the Governor's Square Mall?

• Excellent
    • Good
    • OK
    • Sub-Quality
    • Poor
  3. 3. How would you rate the Tallahassee Mall?

• Excellent
    • Good
    • OK
    • Sub-Quality
    • Poor
  4. 4. Do you think the pending Pinnacle at Cross Creek mall is a threat to any of the following Malls?

• Governor's Square
    • Tallahassee Mall

For whatever it's worth, I got official word (about as official as it can get without getting it directly from HQ) but according to a clerk at Dillard's at the Tallahassee Mall they will be closing their doors January 2008 when their lease comes up. So 2007 marks the last year Dillard's will be in the north side of Tallahassee.

---

Ooops...I just got caught up with comments and now see what I reported above is old news. Please excuse. I'm still bummed because even though I've lost over 170 pounds since March of 2006, it's still difficult to find clothes that fit me well and the Tallahassee Mall Dillard's was my best bet.

• Replies 613
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

For whatever it's worth, I got official word (about as official as it can get without getting it directly from HQ) but according to a clerk at Dillard's at the Tallahassee Mall they will be closing their doors January 2008 when their lease comes up. So 2007 marks the last year Dillard's will be in the north side of Tallahassee.

---

Ooops...I just got caught up with comments and now see what I reported above is old news. Please excuse. I'm still bummed because even though I've lost over 170 pounds since March of 2006, it's still difficult to find clothes that fit me well and the Tallahassee Mall Dillard's was my best bet.

170! That's my whole body! Congratulations! :)

170! That's my whole body! Congratulations! :)

Thanks. It's going to be a pain to get clothes to fit me near where I live now. Other than Nic's Big & Tall, there's nothing much on the north Monroe side of town carrying 2X which is what I need and pants/shorts in at 44 or 46 inch waist (depending upon the manufacturer). Goodies has some shirts but never had pants my size. Wal-Mart down on west Tennessee is the next closest. When the powers that be finally approve the Super Wal-Mart at the old Sam's location on north Monroe i'll have a place to shop nearby but by that time, I may be down to regular sizes that I can find anywhere.

Yeah congrats Beukeboom, you've lost more weight than makes up my entire self too. Good luck in keeping it off which I hear is often times more difficult than losing the weight????

On topic: I'm still concerned about all those Dillard's employees. If Dillard's lays them all off for the year w/no pay, I'm afraid I'll never be able to shop there again and I honestly don't want either to happen. So let me know if you guys hear something about this.

You don't think you want to shoot them a quick e-mail to inquire about this. Or perhaps someone who frequents the store could ask a few workers what they know. I'm sure by now they've been told something.

You'd think the newspaper would be reporting this "old story" by now and get the 411 on what will happen to the employees of this location.

I never really liked the Dillards at the Tallahassee Mall.........the Governor's Square store seems to have a much better selection in clothing whenever I go in there.

Part of the problem with the Tallahasee Mall is its size - it's only one level. Hardly any malls these days are one level unless they're spread out over a huge area (like Sawgrass Mills). Part of me thinks that it should be redeveloped into a lifestyle center, as is the fate of many a dead mall across the country. It'd be a better use for the land, and with Ross and the other store (can't think of the name, Shoe Carnival?) already detached from the mall, you have a start.

I never really liked the Dillards at the Tallahassee Mall.........the Governor's Square store seems to have a much better selection in clothing whenever I go in there.

It's just the opposite for me. The Dillard's in Tallahassee Mall has a better selection of clothes my size and also more clothes go on clearance there that are my size.

• 2 weeks later...

Now that the impending closing of Dillards is official, what do you see taking this store's space in the mall? I hate to say it, but based on the demographic that is shopping the mall here, and the inability to get another full-line department store to come into town, I would go with Steve and Barry's in this location for at least part of the space.

Need a favor from all...

If any of you go to Dillard's, please let me know when they start putting their spring and summer clothes on clearance. I need some pants but can't afford the $60-80 per pair they normally sell for and when they have 'em marked down on 25-30% that ain't enough. I am waiting for the 75%+ off clearances.

Need a favor from all...

If any of you go to Dillard's, please let me know when they start putting their spring and summer clothes on clearance. I need some pants but can't afford the $60-80 per pair they normally sell for and when they have 'em marked down on 25-30% that ain't enough. I am waiting for the 75%+ off clearances.

Dillards/Tally Mall has a lot of Spring stuff on sale now.

Now on what do we base our inability to get another full line department store to come to town?

Reality, since Neiman Marcus and Bloomingdales aren't coming to a metro of 300K with Tallahassee's demographics, Saks sold their store here to Belk for a reason, and there are no other viable options within 700 miles of here that aren't here already.

Tallahassee Metro population is radically different from its Retail Trade Area which includes most of South Georgia and and five other North Florida counties not included in Tallahassee's official metro. The retail trade area is in excess of +500,000. That number is what relocation experts look at when making decisions to relocate, expand, or close locations in our DMA --- Designated Market Area. (term used by Ad agencies and those involved in retail and service industries).

2006 Statistical Digest 3.2 Tallahassee Trade Area

According to retail sales data from Sales and Marketing Management Magazine, Leon County accounted for 63.2% of retail sales within the Tallahassee trade in the 2004 Survey, up from 62.8% in 2004. Per capita retail sales in Leon County are high since a large percentage of the population in neighboring counties travel to Leon County for shopping opportunities.

Figure 3-3

Tallahassee Trade Area-50 mile radius (2005)

Retail Sales Per Capita

County Major City Population (Millions) Retail Sales

Calhoun/Blountstown 13,300 $94.3

Franklin/Apalachicola 10,400 $134.4

Gadsden/Quincy 45,900 $275.8

Jefferson/Monticello 14,100 $81.6

Leon/Tallahassee 253,600 $3,680.4

Liberty/Bristol 7,400 $13.2

Madison/Madison 19,000 $110.5

Taylor/Perry 20,400 $139.5

Wakulla/Crawfordville 26,700 $110.6

Total Florida Counties 410,800 $4,640.3

Brooks/Quitman 16,200 $54.1

Decatur/Bainbridge 28,400 $332.1

Grady/Cairo 24,500 $193.0

Thomas/Thomasville 44,300 $603.3

Total Georgia Counties 113,400 $1,182.5

Total Trade Area 524,200 $5,822.8

Trade Area Exc. Leon County 270,600 $2,142.4

Source: Sales and Marketing Management, 2005 Survey of Buying Power, September 2005

Tallahassee-Leon County Planning Department

Archived