Jax's inferiority complex?

bsutter2

Why are so many Jax residents on this site so insecure about there city? Ive been checking out many topics, and it seems that whenever a city in florida is brought up, it is almost automatically compared to Jax in a negative fashion. This can range anywhere from well-made arguments to straight out flaming insults. Even outside of this board, Jax is always brought up to be compared among cities in the Southeast, and the rest of America (and not always in the most mature light) Ive also noticed that the majority of the posters on this board are from Jacksonville. Is this how most of the cities views the rest of the state? Are you guys just angry because of how badly the national sports writers were ripping your town in the media? Im really curious and would like to know...

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just think it's mostly home-town pride, and the fact that the majority of the Florida forum is from Jax. I know what you're saying though, I wish some of the people would be less negative & judgemental on things not related to Jax (luckily in the individual city subforums this is pretty much avoided).

^I agree with Hisma. I think things like this tend to happen, when you get a large amount of forumers from one place who take pride and joy in their city's recent accomplishments, without realizing that many of these same things are happening in the entire South.

I've been on these forums a couple of years now and have seen things like this happen, from time to time, with every major Southern and Florida city. When these type of things get out of hand, they easily make a good thing go down the tubes.

From this point on, lets make an effort to keep this forum a fun place to visit by focusing on urban development in our cities and not flaming unfounded insults at others. For the good of the forum, insulting others (ex. my city is better than your city) won't be tolerated.

I joined this site because I love new architecture, urban planning and most off all high-rise buildings. There's nothing more impressive then driving into a city and seeing a well developed and dense skyline. I travel the state for a living and can honestly say that there isn't a city in the state of Florida that I don't enjoy visiting. The overall growth in the state just blows me away, as I was born and raised here (in St.Petersburg). Each city is unique and has alot to offer and I'd just hope that we all keep this in mind as we're posting a reply, before slamming someone else's hometown. I agree with Lakelander, let's keep this a Fun Site.

Well, I'm from Jacksonville, and I don't recall ever participating in a flame-war or anything like that. I also tend to avoid city comparison threads, so I had not witnessed any Jax forumers behaving rudely either.

I don't think rude forumers says anything about the disposition of an entire city. If anyone visited the skyscraperpage and skyscrapercity forums several years ago, you will remember that there were severe problems with excessive and obnoxious city-boosting. In particular, I remember forumers from Charlotte, Los Angeles, Orlando, Denver, etc. would start horrible flame wars for no real reason at all. Also, many Northern forumers seemed to have a fetish for baselessly insulting Houston and Atlanta.

It's just a numbers game. When you have enough active forumers from a city, someone will eventually try to stir crap. It has nothing to do with Jax or any other city for that matter. Except people from Tampa. Those guys are just assholes !!!! ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived