Diner in 4th Ward

CBJ had a brief article on a new diner coming to 4th Ward. The diner will be an old rail car renovated and will serve homestyle food. The article mentioned 10th & Graham but also said it would be part of Noah''s development. I am thinking it will not be on Graham but back behind Circle K. Anybody here anything else on this?

It is suppossedly trying to open by August.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think that would ever work. How can you run a business if no one know where you are going to be? I'd be pissed if I showed up at one location and the restaurant wasn't there anymore. I know you'll say that they'll advertise the move but the argument still remains. People would not hear about it and it would be a bad move. Besides, I'm sure there would be massive health department hurdles to clear to do that.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm one of the two owners of the fourth ward diner mentioned in last weeks CBJ. It will be called Mattie's Diner (I'm Matt) I appreciate all the interest being shown here. We do in fact hope to be open in August. Just to clarify, it is NOT an old rail-car that is renovated. It is a 1948 stainless steel and neon diner, originally from New Jersey. We moved it here from Bound Brook, NJ and are currently renovating it to its original condition. It will be located in Noah Lazes' development, on Seaboard Street, next to the Silver Hammer Studios. We will be open 7 days a week, with 24 hour service Thursday, Friday and Saturdays. If you would like to see photos or have any specific questions, please feel free to email me at: [email protected]

Thanks!

Awsome indeed. A stainless steel and neon diner open 24hrs (only 3 days, but thats better then nothing), now thats authentic. Just need a menu 6 pages deap, with "hard rolls", taylor ham, and real vanilla coke on it somewhere and i'll feel like home. Thanks again for the info.

that is really fun news. thanks for posting matt. And keep us posted on anything you know of the progress of the lazes corner of town. It is looking like that will be an interesting spot in the making. I drove by a few weeks ago to see the progress on the mill, and they seem to well along and moving fast.

Do you know any details of street changes to get more people over there? Driving across the tracks by adm is a bit of adventure that not many take. We've heard of new connections to graham, but never any clear specifics.

I don't have much personal experience with diners, though.

Thanks for the update Matt, and good luck with the diner. I'm very interested to see how the whole corner of forth ward turns out.

Do you know any details of street changes to get more people over there?  Driving across the tracks by adm is a bit of adventure that not many take.  We've heard of new connections to graham, but never any clear specifics.

I don't have much personal experience with diners, though.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The NC Music Factory website has a map showing the extension of Seaboard St. I've also heard somewhere that 9th St could be widened to four lanes.

:) We really appreciate all the positive feedback regarding the diner. It's getting us even more psyched to get her up and running. We posted a web page on yahoo with pictures if anyone is interested in seeing our progress. It's at

Mattie's Diner

As for progress within Lazes' development...there is a nightclub opening soon, called Illlusions, which is located across the street from where the diner will be. Noah is currently leasing space for a variety of projects, mostly music and arts tenents. And according to Noah, the Seaboard Street extension will be complete by the beginning of next year, and will provide much needed easier access to the site. (It will extend it to Graham and bypass the railroad tracks). Check out the website for more info and renderings of the finished project, to be called the NC Music Factory. It's going to be fantastic!

NC Music Factory

And as for the notion:

Just need a menu 6 pages deep, with "hard rolls", taylor ham, and real vanilla coke on it somewhere and i'll feel like home.

That goes without saying!!! :D

Hey, if you find yourself in the vicinity of Seaboard St. anytime, please stop by and introduce yourself. We look forward to getting to know our customers. Just look for the big steel box propped up on giant wood blocks next to the Silver Hammer Studios. We'll be happy to give you a preview of the place!

Thanks again.

• 9 months later...

I thought I'd dust off this relic. I drove by yesterday and things don't look too promising for Mattie's Diner. The entire car is tarped and fenced off with chain-link, and looks like it has been for some time. Looks like nothing much, if at all, has happened since May. That's too bad... I was really, really looking forward to eating here. :(

I thought I'd dust off this relic. I drove by yesterday and things don't look too promising for Mattie's Diner. The entire car is tarped and fenced off with chain-link, and looks like it has been for some time. Looks like nothing much, if at all, has happened since May. That's too bad... I was really, really looking forward to eating here. :(

turbo, lots of setbacks with the city, contractors , architects, etc...Lots has happened on the interior and we have stripped the entire exterior of the diner, replaced all the framing, redid all the electrical, replaced the floor , and put the exterior back on, we also shot a coke commercial inside. just having problems getting the site work and addition underway. thanks for the interest. we will get there.

Matt :w00t:

turbo, lots of setbacks with the city, contractors , architects, etc...Lots has happened on the interior and we have stripped the entire exterior of the diner, replaced all the framing, redid all the electrical, replaced the floor , and put the exterior back on, we also shot a coke commercial inside. just having problems getting the site work and addition underway. thanks for the interest. we will get there.

Matt :w00t:

Woo-hoo! Thanks, MD... you lurker, you. So, like, when can I sit on a red vinyl and chrome stool and stick a fork in my mouth?

• 3 years later...

Told you we'd get there!! Plans for our foundation at the site went in to the city last week and we hope to have it moved and on its foundation (first phase of the project) in the first week of June. We are submitting the rest of our plans soon and hope to be up and going by the mid/end of the Summer. The diner is too cool and the food will be too good to give up on the project. After 4 years of changes and setbacks, we are getting underway.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived