Diner in 4th Ward

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good lord. I just looked at the dates on this topic. It's spanned 4+ years. Did this diner ever open in the rail car?

There was once a diner in a rail car off South Blvd. It's closed now but you can still see the old rail car from the South LRT. They moved it when they built the Lynx line because it was sitting in the path of the tracks.

Go to: http://www.ncmusicfactory.com/ and then the Entertainment link. Then go to the site map. It's listed on there, though not on the actual map itself.

It is located on the NW corner of 12th and Hamilton , across from the ticket booth. It is at the very front of the parking lot for the whole factory. Great view of the skyline from every booth. It is on its final resting ground. Now we have to build the kithen and bathrooms off the back and we will be good to go.

Its all being drawn up now to submit to the city. If I can answer any questions , fire away, or contact me at [email protected]

Thanks

Mattie

Good lord. I just looked at the dates on this topic. It's spanned 4+ years. Did this diner ever open in the rail car?

There was once a diner in a rail car off South Blvd. It's closed now but you can still see the old rail car from the South LRT. They moved it when they built the Lynx line because it was sitting in the path of the tracks.

Monsoon,

We have been working on the project little by little for four years. Everything finally fell in place for us and we have tremendous support and commitment from the guys at the music factory to help us succeed. Timing is everything, as well as the road into the development.

We never opened in a rail car. The diner is modular, but was never a rail car. It was built in 1948 and its intended purpose is to serve food. Although it is modular, it is not intended nor equipped to be mobile to serve different locations.

Come see us when we get open.

Thanks

Mattie

It is located on the NW corner of 12th and Hamilton , across from the ticket booth. It is at the very front of the parking lot for the whole factory. Great view of the skyline from every booth. It is on its final resting ground. Now we have to build the kithen and bathrooms off the back and we will be good to go.

Its all being drawn up now to submit to the city. If I can answer any questions , fire away, or contact me at [email protected]

Thanks

Mattie

I just drove by it tonight. It looks great! Definitely a perfect location for it. Can't wait for this to open.

• 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So for the past couple of months, Verizon's been airing ads during NASCAR - and presumably IndyCar - races, featuring their drivers (Justin Allgaier and Will Power) at a diner. I noticed in one of the commercials this weekend that the waitress' shirt appears to say "Mattie's Diner." Were these filmed here? The exterior shot from another one of the commercials seems pretty close to the picture from Twitter posted a little upthread, though it looks more complete in the commercial (which wouldn't be surprising since the picture posted above is more than a year old).

The commercial with the exterior shot I'm thinking of is here. A few more in the series are in the sidebar on the right-hand side of that page. The one where I noticed the logo isn't on the YouTube channel, but is viewable here.

• 4 weeks later...

So I ate Mattie's for the first time and here's my review: 5 stars out of a possible 4. Yes, it's that good.

First the atmosphere: this is a real prefab diner that was originally built in 1948. It might be the oldest structure remaining in Charlotte (bad joke), but it really is authentic down to the big Wurlitzer jukebox. Being there, I was magically transformed back to my native Long Island - although Mattie is from New Jersey, but close enough. Every detail about the place is meticulously genuine, even the menu is carefully constructed with special meal names (the "Jersey Burger, the "Junkyard") with pictorial references that cleverly tie in to the food choices (i.e., Sly Stallone for the "Italian Stallion").

The food: I had the pot roast on recommendation from our server and was NOT disappointed. It was delicious, as was the mac & cheese and roasted corn. My fiancee had the Carolina Burger and the Peach Cobbler (named "Chief Kabla" - ask Mattie about that inside joke - pretty funny) and she loved both. Being a dessert aficionado especially, I consider this high praise for the cobbler. The rest of the menu looked incredibly good as well. Mattie brought many of his classic diner recipes with him from the Northeast but also added several southern regional dishes to compliment the location. There is a ridiculous selection of milkshakes to choose from too, including creamsickle even.

The service: Perfect. Mattie will make sure you are happy with your meal and give you a history lesson about his almost 10-year journey towards opening this place in Charlotte if you want to hear a fascinating story. He'll also explain some of the inside references on the menu and ask you your name. He's a really likable guy who obviously had a vision for this place. Our server was equally friendly (unfortunately I didn't get his name) and his food suggestions were right on. Heck, we even bought a Mattie's Diner t-shirt.

I believe Mattie's is open 24 hours on Thurs, Fri and Sat evenings. Imagine, a late night food place in Charlotte!! It has an extensive breakfast menu as well.

This place is just what Charlotte (especially Uptown) needs. Give it a try and I promise you you'll keep coming back.

So I ate Mattie's for the first time and here's my review: 5 stars out of a possible 4. Yes, it's that good.

This place is just what Charlotte (especially Uptown) needs. Give it a try and I promise you you'll keep coming back.

I agree 100%. I've been there a total of four times now (two breakfasts, one lunch and one late dinner and it's great. The food is fast and good and is being done by cooks who know how to focus on diner specialties. My only complaint is that their breakfast sausage was flat patties instead of fat nyc-tyrpe breakfast sausage links - but I can live with that!

And I agree that the staff are just great.

i've given it one try so far and really want to love the place, but my burger was easily the worst i've ever had in a restaurant. i know it sounds harsh, but it reminded me of a college cafeteria burger, somehow greasy and incredibly dry at the same time. i felt ill after choking it down. my milkshake was fantastic though, and lots of stuff on the menu sounded great.

we had a new server who forgot to do literally everything (bring menus, take drink orders, bring checks) and complained about being slammed when the place was 30% full, but Mattie was awesome. we didn't really mind overall. the decor and vibe of the place, i agree, is 100% authentic and lots of fun, definitely a great thing for Charlotte to have.

i'm willing to believe that i just had an off experience somehow, but my coworkers are much less forgiving (everybody thought their meals were terrible, with the exception of the open faced turkey sandwich). i hope for all the best for them, but i might only be back when i'm drunk after a Fillmore show and need some fried pickles.

Archived