Super Target or Not.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've heard super... but I'm not sure. I've also heard Target is planning another store on the other side of Monore on 74 further out east. I think the plan is to book-end Wal-Mart, that way Target will be a little closer for people coming into Monroe from either side so that Target can cut off shoppers from Wal-Mart.

Has anybody heard any more rumors regarding a new Target in Gastonia, super or not? I think I may have read where Target was close to building a store across from Gaston Mall at the old Public Service of North Carolina building, but it fell through.

I'm hoping for a SuperTarget though.

Why would anyone wish such a thing on already congested 74? It will be a nightmare with it being just a plain Target, I can't imagine a Super Target there. Let them have Super Wal-Mart, let's keep the Target a bit more inviting by not having it super sized.

yes, super targets are the same concept as super walmarts. They are groceries plus general merchandise. Target gets high marks for higher quality merchandise, store organization, and cleanliness.... but, i rue the day that the only place i can find cereal and milk is in a mega-monster-super-magnifico-big box store.

so even though i try to avoid big box stores for things i can buy from local merchants, i don't completely boycott them... BUT i never shop at walmart period, and i never buy more than a few dollars of groceries from a big box.

I recently started shopping at Charlotte's newest SuperWalmart on Hwy 16.  It has the same food as Harris Teeter, but it is a lot cheaper.  And they have $7 bathing suits and $6 boat fenders too.

:cry: I'm disappointed.

Why would anyone wish such a thing on already congested 74?  It will be a nightmare with it being just a plain Target, I can't imagine a Super Target there.  Let them have Super Wal-Mart, let's keep the Target a bit more inviting by not having it super sized.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Dude, SuperTarget ROCKS.. i've been to the one in Durham, Raleigh, Wake Forest.. I've loved all of them. We just need a SuperTarget around south Charlotte, the closest is 30 miles north in Mooresville

I recently started shopping at Charlotte's newest SuperWalmart on Hwy 16.  It has the same food as Harris Teeter, but it is a lot cheaper.  And they have $7 bathing suits and $6 boat fenders too.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:o monsoon shopping at Wal-Mart!

Does anyone really save time by have groceries under the same roof in a super-whatever? It is a lot further between items you need when you are inside. if you do your general stuff and groceries at the same time, don't you need a forklift to carry them all? Is it really so bad to drive to the neighborhood grocery store at a different time, or on the way home? Is it really better to buy food from a multinational conglomerate than a local grocer? Isn't the business model of those stores are are charge less on noticeable items, the symbolize the low prices, but have equal or greater prices on other stuff?

This phenomenon confuses me. But i can't talk my friends and relatives out of it no matter how hard i try. Very confusing.

Personally, i'd rather go the opposite extreme, and get groceries delivered or ready for pickup after shopping online. when i lived in singapore, we had groceries delivered, and it worked very well. They had a warehouse by the seaport, and we got the freshest stuff for cheaper than any storefront. They were called "Provisioners".

Some Harris teeters, (i think taj mateeter and stonecrest) allow you to shop online and pick up in drive through. I'd love to do that if they had it in the fourth ward or dilworth teetermarts.

The Target in Monroe is a lot bigger than the one in Matthews and the one is Matthews still has a grocery area. So my guess is that it is going to be a Super Target. Does anyone agree.

I'm not so sure it's that much larger. If it turns out to be a Super Target I may very well keep doing my shopping at the Matthew's location. I live in Monroe, but because of traffic I can get to Matthews quicker than Monroe is most cases. Megoliths like Super Wal-Mart and Super Target create unimaginable traffic problems and tend to attract a stereotypical crowd overall. Of course, I think it simply being a Monroe location would do this regardless of it being super-sized or not.

Does anyone really save time by have groceries under the same roof in a super-whatever?  It is a lot further between items you need when you are inside.  if you do your general stuff and groceries at the same time, don't you need a forklift to carry them all?  Is it really so bad to drive to the neighborhood grocery store at a different time, or on the way home?  Is it really better to buy food from a multinational conglomerate than a local grocer?  Isn't the business model of those stores are are charge less on noticeable items, the symbolize the low prices, but have equal or greater prices on other stuff? 

This phenomenon confuses me.  But i can't talk my friends and relatives out of it no matter how hard i try.  Very confusing. 

Personally, i'd rather go the opposite extreme, and get groceries delivered or ready for pickup after shopping online.    when i lived in singapore, we had groceries delivered, and it worked very well.  They had a warehouse by the seaport, and we got the freshest stuff for cheaper than any storefront.  They were called "Provisioners".   

Some Harris teeters, (i think taj mateeter and stonecrest) allow you to shop online and pick up in drive through.  I'd love to do that if they had it in the fourth ward or dilworth teetermarts.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well to get the boat bumpers, bathing suit ($2.99 deck shoes too), and groceries I would have had to drive to 3 different places and thereby increasing my time greatly. Since Harris Teeter, Walmart, the Stores at SouthPark, etc all get their stuff at exactly the same places then I don't have any problems getting my bioengineered food and chinese made junk at the cheapest place in town. There is absolutely no difference in buying a 1/2 gallon of soy milk at Walmart or Harris teeter, and I would rather jump in the polluted river in $7 bathing suit trunks instead of $35 ones from Belks which are probably on sale now for $19.99.

Now I balance that off by the fact that I rarely buy fad stuff, designer anything, or succumbe to mass merchandising. I actually grow alot of my own food in my little organic semi-urban garden or shop local farmers markets because no store can compete in freshness. We actually dispose 2x as much in the recycling bin each week over the standard garbage. And I telecommute to work so I don't add to the mornings traffic congestion, air pollution, and gasoline shortage.

I never quite understood SuperTarget. (pronnounced Tar - ghey) Whats the deal with selling yourself as "We have higher quality made junk".

The Target in Monroe is a lot bigger than the one in Matthews and the one is Matthews still has a grocery area. So my guess is that it is going to be a Super Target. Does anyone agree.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Most Regular Targets have or are getting small "market" grocery sections... but not full service grocery like Super Target. Anyone know the Square footage on the new Target?

I've never been able to bring myself to buy groceries at Target or Walmart - maybe some non-perishable stuff, but when I see the shrink-wrapped produce something just doesn't look right. Plus, I'm in a different mindset when grocery shopping. I sort of menu-plan along the way and might need some funky ingredient that I know they won't have at Target. I think they're great if you're there anyway and just need to pick up a box of cereal for the morning, but I can't imagine their selection attracting away the serious grocery shopper!

"Since Harris Teeter, Walmart, the Stores at SouthPark, etc all get their stuff at exactly the same places"

This certainly isn't true. Harris Teeter's meats and produce are much more fresh and are of higher quality than any monolith's. Many unique items such as gourmet food ingredients and foreign food items can be found at HT while the people working at WalMart dont have a F'ing clue of what your talking about.

a couple differences as far as the ethics of shopping walmart vs. harris teeter, are that profits are earned and redistributed locally, and neighborhood grocers enhance the livability of neighborhoods, like dilworth or fourth ward, whereas SuperWalmarts do not.

I certainly understand the points you make, though.

One aspect of price shopping that i have found true for myself, is that i like the taste of harris teeter generic brand (HT Naturals, HT Traders, HT whatever), but Presidents Choice or Sam's choice (and food lion generics, among others) just don't taste good to me. So i can avoid some of the namebrand items that i would otherwise end up paying if i were shopping at a lower cost supermarket.

I never quite understood SuperTarget.  (pronnounced Tar - ghey) Whats the deal with selling yourself as "We have higher quality  made junk".

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Because Target views value as being more than low prices. They figure a lot of people don't want to shop in the dump that is Wal-Mart with its depressing atmospehere, warehouse feel, poor customer service, unorganized/un-straightened displays.

some walmarts are better than others, and likewise for targets, or any chain store for that matter. My own experiences, though, on the target vs walmart shopping experience, are that targets, on average, are cleaner, better organized, are better at having items in stock, and tend to buy merchandise that has more interesting design.

Their furniture, even though it is 'cheap' (in all meanings), have decent modern designs that are consistent in look with modern furniture from pricier shops (like eq3 or bydesign in southend). Even though i wouldn't recommend furnishing most of your house from target, my example is that you could by home decor and random tables and stuff from target, and the design will be consistent with the others. (some of target's stuff is from a division of thomasville).

while cheap stuff that doesn't matter if it looks and is 'cheap' (like bathing suits, flipflops, whatever...) i agree it is purely a price game. But stuff for homes, etc, that you hope to keep around for a while and display to others... it seems that target is the better way to go.

Frankly, i never knew i could ever be a towel snob... but towells these days are no good... they fray after a few month! But i think that is a china-price thing.

Archived