Super Target or Not.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm amazed at the ignorance on this thread.

What difference does it make if the Target is a SuperTarget or not in terms of the relaitve evil of the store? If you darken the doorway of the store and buy something, the money all goes to the same place.

If everything is the same cheap Chinese crap as was stated, wouldn't it make more sense to give your dollars to stores like Belk and Harris Teeter that actually employs a large number of Charlotteans in high paying jobs rather than an out of towner, regardless of price. It's at least an attempt to keep money in the community.

Super-Walmarts are filthy circuses. I try to avoid going into one at all costs ESPECIALLY for groceries. One time I almost stepped on a dirty diaper laying in an aisle. Another time I saw mice running underneath the displays. When I told an employee about it he said "yea but they usually just stay around the pet food and nibble on stuff over there." For groceries (being from Richmond), I would always shop at Ukrop's over a walmart any day. The difference in cleanliness, quality, customer service, and unique offerings is night and day. They also actually have enough employees working. Not to mention they give 10% of pretax profits back to the community and another 20% back to employees. If I HAD to shop for something on a Sunday, I'd most likely go to Kroger. Most food-lion's around here aren't much better than the grocery sections of wal-mart. I think what crossed the line at food lion was when I was waiting in a long line (the only line they had open) with like one item to pay for. The cashier actually answered her cell phone and started talking on it while everyone was waiting. Then, the only thing she said to anyone was the total. Anyways, back to walmart. If I was to choose between Walmart and Target, I would pick Target any day. Targets tend to be much cleaner, nicer and less of a circus.

Amen on the ignorance part.

I have never known a Belk employee that claimed it was a good thing to work at that place. And that ranges from the retail clerks to the poor individuals that used to work in their IT. (I think it is outsourced now) I don't think Belk pays any of its clerks working in the stores a living wage or benefits. I don't know as much about HT. I suspect that Walmart employs more in the metro than either Belk or HT. And it is is North Carolina's biggest for profit employeer. So if we go by this theory of supporting the local community then Walmart would seem to be the way to go since they employ more local workers.

I am not defending Walmart and their policies as I think they are terrible, but no one has presented any evidence that any of the other places we have mentioned here is better. (in regards to employee relations) And I think the entire idea of gleefully shifting our manufacturing to China is one of the most stupid ideas to come along in a long time, and it is going to come back to bite the USA in a big way. But that is what we have now, and shopping at Walmart vs Belks really makes no difference to this state of affairs. When people start refusing to buy merchandise because it was made in China, then I will be impressed. But I think it is silly to refuse to buy this junk just because it was sold in Walmart vs Target. :rolleyes: I have no problem avoiding stores that are dirty or badly managed but like the grocery stores, I don't know of any chain that consistantly does a good or bad job at this.

In regards to packaged food then it also makes no difference if you purchase it at Walmart, Harris Teeter, or Foodlion. It all comes from the same place. In fact the food at Walmart is probably not as old as they have more turnover than the smaller stores. BTW, I have gotten bad, expired, rotten food at every chain in Charlotte so you have to be a smart shopper no matter where you go.

As I stated earlier, I don't get produce from any grocery store instead chosing to have my own garden or buying it from the local farmers market. Most people don't have the time for this, but then most people don't cook anymore anyway so it isn't much of an issue for them. On the rare occasion that I do buy produce at a grocery store, and especially at Harris Teeter, I am always amused by the checkout clerk who has to ask "what kind of vegetable is this?" haha. I guess everyone eats out or gets their food out of a box that was nuked in a microwave. I find that having it already shrinkwrapped keeps you from being overcharged because the lazy clerk has no idea what you are buying and keys in something that costs a lot more.

For once, monsoon and I agree on this one.

It makes me sick to hear people whine about how bad Wal-Mart is all the time when the alternatives suck too. If I want something from Wal-Mart or any other store, I buy it. If I don't want soemthing from that store. I buy it somewhere else. I'm not making a moral stand; I'm just shopping.

As I've said before in other threads, the problem is the cheap Asian crap flooding our shores and not the retailers. If we, as monsoon has said, make a stand and demand that Americans make our consumer goods in round numbers instead of supporting the house of cards economy that we're creating by focusing so much on price, we're going to be paying for our purchases with the erosion of the American way of life.

It's already happening. The middle class is getting poorer and poorer, forcing us to stores like Wal-Mart to buy cheap and cheaper crap which in turn makes us poorer and poorer. The circle has to be broken.

Individually, we stand no chance against the machine. Together we can stop it.

I have never known a Belk employee that claimed it was a good thing to work at that place.  And that ranges from the retail clerks to the poor individuals that used to work in their IT.  (I think it is outsourced now)

I can attest that not all of their IT is outsourced (may not be any of it) as I have a good friend who's Mom works as a programmer for Belk.

Well I'm not defending Walmart, but unlike most of you I don't have a problem with them. I've never been in a real dirty walmart. Never seen any rodents in any isles either. However I do like shopping at Target as there stores are alot neater and nicer. They just have an overall good atmosphere instead of the hetic Walmart.

O..and foodlion has basically taken over my town. We have six of them and theres another one being proposed. The only other grocery stores we have is an Bi-lo, Aldi,Winn-Dixie and a local market called Just Save. There's a Supercenter under consturction currently so Walmart not's going anywhere. The good news is that Target and Home Depot is in the running for the space of the old Walmart. I hope Target gets it as it would make some real compitition for Walmart.

Well I'm not defending Walmart, but unlike most of you I don't have a problem with them. I've never been in a real dirty walmart. Never seen any rodents in any isles either. However I do like shopping at Target as there stores are alot neater and nicer. They just have an overall good atmosphere instead of the hetic Walmart.

O..and foodlion has basically taken over my town. We have six of them and theres another one being proposed. The only other grocery stores we have is an Bi-lo, Aldi,Winn-Dixie and a local market called Just Save. There's a Supercenter under consturction currently so Walmart not's going anywhere. The good news is that Target and Home Depot is in the running for the space of the old Walmart. I hope Target gets it as it would make some real compitition for Walmart.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There are no Harris Teeters in Lexington?

I worked for Target, and I did not like working for them. Theymade me go up to VERY SINGLE PERSON and ask them "can i help you find something?" I mean yea, its imortant to talk to the customers, but every single one even though you can tell they are in a hurry and dont wanna be bothered? I got yelled at a lot for not asking customers that question enough. Pissed me off so bad. They would watch me on the cameras to see if I was working up to their standards. blah, damn beotchs.

Super-Walmarts are filthy circuses. I try to avoid going into one at all costs ESPECIALLY for groceries. One time I almost stepped on a dirty diaper laying in an aisle. Another time I saw mice running underneath the displays. When I told an employee about it he said "yea but they usually just stay around the pet food and nibble on stuff over there." For groceries (being from Richmond), I would always shop at Ukrop's over a walmart any day. The difference in cleanliness, quality, customer service, and unique offerings is night and day. They also actually have enough employees working. Not to mention they give 10% of pretax profits back to the community and another 20% back to employees. If I HAD to shop for something on a Sunday, I'd most likely go to Kroger. Most food-lion's around here aren't much better than the grocery sections of wal-mart. I think what crossed the line at food lion was when I was waiting in a long line (the only line they had open) with like one item to pay for. The cashier actually answered her cell phone and started talking on it while everyone was waiting. Then, the only thing she said to anyone was the total. Anyways, back to walmart. If I was to choose between Walmart and Target, I would pick Target any day. Targets tend to be much cleaner, nicer and less of a circus.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I avoid the Super here in VB myself. The parking lot is horribly small and just the clientele that this place caters to does not interest me in the least. Now the Targets are well kept, clean and the people seem more friendly- maybe it is just me but honestly I feel that way.

I worked for Target, and I did not like working for them. Theymade me go up to VERY SINGLE PERSON and ask them "can i help you find something?" I mean yea, its imortant to talk to the customers, but every single one even though you can tell they are in a hurry and dont wanna be bothered? I got yelled at a lot for not asking customers that question enough. Pissed me off so bad. They would watch me on the cameras to see if I was working up to their standards. blah, damn beotchs.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i have never been asked if i need help at target. ever.

GET BACK TO WORK, SLACKER!!!!!

:rofl:

I guess good customer service requires strong managers and annoyed employees, because no one has the energy to serve people constantly.

I have never known a Belk employee that claimed it was a good thing to work at that place.  And that ranges from the retail clerks to the poor individuals that used to work in their IT.  (I think it is outsourced now)

I know some of there IT works in the same room as me at IBM... So I can say that definately not all of it is outsourced... I think they laid off some people in Atlanta and outsourced it to Charlotte actually... That's how I got my job with the company they contract anyways :ph34r:

The Target in Monroe has two doors. One pair is just smaller than the other. The Target in Monroe is huge.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't think it has two entrances.

This is what a SuperTarget looks like (part of the second entrance is cut off):

supertarget.jpg

A Target Greatland (the two entrances are the blue and green doors):

target_1.jpg

If it was going to be a SuperTarget, the sign out front would say SuperTarget.

The Target in Monroe has two doors. One pair is just smaller than the other. The Target in Monroe is huge.

I drove by Friday after work to confirm that it has two doors and it does not. It only has one entrance and is not "huge" as it looks to be roughly the same size as most other "Targets" so I'd say it's safe to say that it is NOT a Super Target.

Archived