Cities' Lighthouses

ironchapman

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i have been to all the lighthouses except one on the outer banks of North Carolina, but the only picture i have is of the Cape Hatteras lighthouse.

this lighthouse was moved a half-mile inland in the late 1990's. that project won a civil engineerring award in 2000. when the lighthouse was originally activated in 1870, it was situated 1,600 feet from the shore. at the time that they moved the lighthouse, it was only 120 feet from the shore. after being moved a half-mile inland, the Cape Hatteras lighthouse once again stands 1,600 feet from the shore.

hatteras.jpg

One of my personal favorites. It is one of the most endangered in the US. Itwas once surrounded by a large island, but now it is only a sandbar.

Some of my pics of Charleston's Morris Island Lighthouse:

The exterior:

post-3864-1116185576_thumb.jpg

And, by luck, one of the window panes on the glass door placed on the lighthouse by the government to keep trespassers out was knocked out, so I got a picture of the inside from peeking in the pane:

post-3864-1116185738_thumb.jpg

post-3864-1116185576_thumb.jpg

post-3864-1116185738_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Here's the lighthouse on the Detroit River on the East Riverfront at Tricentennial State Park.

BK15PID172_large.jpg

BK15PID165_large.jpg

Here's a view from the top.

BK15PID170_large.jpg

Under construction

BK11PID95_large.jpg

BK11PID103_large.jpg

BK11PID102_large.jpg

My hometown is near the tallest lighthouse on the Great Lakes, the New Presque Isle Light, 1870, 109 feet tall.

PresqueIsle-New-Culley.jpg

rogers%2018_jpg.jpg

Views from the top:

rogers%2014_jpg.jpg

rogers%2015_jpg.jpg

Looking out to the point (seen in the map below).

rogers%2017_jpg.jpg

m-presque.gif

FYI:

The Old Presque Isle Light was built in 1840 and is considered haunted.

oldpresqueisle.jpg

...as seen with Hale-Bopp

1071.jpg

The SUPERNATURAL story:

In the eighteenth century, a small lighthouse on Lake Huron received the persistent complaints of ship captains, who claimed they could barely see its light. A taller lighthouse was built a mile north, and in 1870, the lighthouse on Old Presque Isle was put out of commission. A hundred years later, George and Lorraine Parris were appointed to restore the lighthouse and its caretaker's dwelling. Under orders from the Coast Guard, George removed the lightbulb and wiring, leaving the lighthouse without any means of being lit. In early 1992, George died. In May of that year, people starting witnessing an unexplained light coming from the tower, a light that has perhaps saved several lives of people lost in fogs.

Who would have guessed, it makes sense though,

interesting side note, Michigan is the state with the most light houses at ninety, followed by Maine at 80. Michigan is also the state with the most coastline in the 48 contiguous. It's Just kind of Ironic when you think of it, seeing as it's all inland.

The National Lighthouse Museum was suppose to be built in Mackinaw City, being that the Straits of Mackinac has the largest concentration of lighthouses anywhere in the country. The museum ended up being built in New York City for the sake of more tourist numbers. :(

• 7 months later...
  • 5 months later...

When I went to Mackinaw City recently I saw my first lighthouse. Here is the Old Mackinac Point Lighthouse which is open for tours.

Old Mackinc Point's height is 58 feet from the ground to lightning rod. It is visible from 16 miles away and a red light flashes every ten seconds.

100_0454.jpg

100_0453.jpg

100_0452.jpg

100_0451.jpg

100_0447.jpg

100_0441.jpg

Museum inside:

100_0449.jpg

100_0444.jpg

100_0443.jpg

There are some great lighthouses on the New Jersey shore (and many I didn't know about until doing a Google search!). For having such a small shore area, NJ seems to have a lot of lighthouses. Some of my favorites are pictured below.

Barnegat

barnegat4.jpg

Cape May

capemay8_2006.jpg

Sea Girt

seagirt1.jpg

Absecon

absecon1_2006.jpg

Sandy Hook

sandyhook1.jpg

Navesink

twinlight1.jpg

navesink1a.jpg

Hereford Inlet

herefordlithouse1.jpg

Ship John Shoal

shipjohnshoal4_2006.jpg

Check out these and others at LighthouseFriends.com - New Jersey

• 1 month later...

Grosse Ile Light

100_1426.jpg

100_1447.jpg

On Saturday I went to a celebration for the light, it was built in 1906. They had tours of it which they don't normally do. It is literally in someone's backyard and the island has a lot of trees so even if you are driving by on the nearest road you can't find the lighthouse so you have to really know where it is.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived