Wachovia Championship leaving Charlotte?

I'm not sure if i'm allowed to make this topic, but oh well... i'm a little new to foruming ;) correct me if this isn't the right place to post ;)

Tonight I was watching Fox and there was a commercial for a Fox News story describing that Charlotte was losing the Wachovia Championship next year. I missed the news report, however, and was wondering if anyone had more information? I really wanted to go to it next year and the website doesn't mention it, nor any news site I look on! I'm hoping they were being somewhat misleading!!

Thanks for any info!

:(:o

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

yeah.. be careful with the local fox news. I can't tell if they are tongue-in-cheek or just extreme versions of what every local news channel does for teasers... but for example the headline 'Google is now spying on everything you do' was simply reporting that they have aerial photos now (which you can barely see rooftops with, and they are 3+ years old :) ).

If you haven't learned by now, the news here in Charlotte is very much based on SENSATIONALISM.

"Next only on Channel 9 News, we'll tell you the HORRIFYING story of how 10 CHILDREN were a 1/2 mile away from a MURDER. But first, your local weather."

As long as Wachovia stays behind it, the tournament is here to stay. It's been too good of a success.

Tourney hits 'prime time'

Three years ago, they showed they could start a golf tournament. Sunday they got the ending they deserved.

In a thriller too good to finish in its time slot, the Wachovia Championship went overtime at the Quail Hollow Club before naming its third champion.

Despite being such a young tournament, the Wachovia already has earned praise as one of the PGA Tour's top events. It attracts one of the year's best fields, including Tiger Woods. Its amenities are second to none. But even though the Wachovia went to a playoff in 2004, it has never had a finish with the star power of Sunday's.

for example the headline 'Google is now spying on everything you do' was simply reporting that they have aerial photos now (which you can barely see rooftops with, and they are 3+ years old :) ).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I remember showing my parents these pictures like 10 years ago. You can access it from multiple websites, even the NC Emergency Management site. They use this kind of stuff for real estate purposes and to help predict flood management. Like I said before, SENSATIONALISM.

If you haven't learned by now, the news here in Charlotte is very much based on SENSATIONALISM.

"Next only on Channel 9 News, we'll tell you the HORRIFYING story of how 10 CHILDREN were a 1/2 mile away from a MURDER. But first, your local weather."

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That is so true. :rofl:

Yay... that's what I expected to here. I'm so happy!

I think the worst thing I can ever remember on fox news was when it was May 17th, 2004, and it was like the 50th anniversary of Brown vs. Board of Education, some rotating council member was killed in Iraq, and it was the day gay marriage was legalized in Mass, and all they could find to talk about was a new bible magazine for youths called pulse or energy or something... never mentioned any of the other things even though they touched on national news for 15 minutes... so I called and asked why they skipped everything that would go down in history, and they told me the honest truth atleast... "It doesn't match our marketing demographics"...

Making me worry about my wachovia championship is the final reason why I am no longer watching them... that's cheap when you actually have to almost lie to make people watch you... I'm sure it can't help ratings if you make a habit of underwhelming veiwers after overwhelming commercial break claims.... ARGH!!!!

... oh yeah and they got rid of that spaz Mark Mathis ;) that was the best reason to watch

And with that, my fox news at 10 rant is done. :whistling:

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...

I've heard that this annual PGA tourney will cease after 2014, when the contract is up. I wonder if there's another club in Charlotte that would step up? I also heard the reasoning behind this was the fact that Quail Hollow is going to focus on landing the PGA Championship for around 2015 or 2016. I think Tom Sorenstem (sp?) mentioned that in one of his recent chats too.

I wonder if Wells is still paying out on the Wachovia contract mentioned above? I would think that in any case the locals running that club would not want the name Wachovia, a failed US bank, associated with their activities these days though I am sure they will still take the cash. It's a bit of a shame though as the name Wachovia, has historical meaning to the portion of the Southern Piedmont located in NC. (though not as much in Charlotte)

I wonder if Wells is still paying out on the Wachovia contract mentioned above? I would think that in any case the locals running that club would not want the name Wachovia, a failed US bank, associated with their activities these days though I am sure they will still take the cash. It's a bit of a shame though as the name Wachovia, has historical meaning to the portion of the Southern Piedmont located in NC. (though not as much in Charlotte)

According to what I've heard, Wells is still paying all expenses they are contractually obligated to per the Wachovia arrangement. However, many of the complimentary items provided by Wachovia in previous years will not be available - and, not being a golf fan, I'm not exactly sure what those might be.

Archived