Should Minneapolis and St. Paul Merge?

Twin Cities

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We're located in downtown Minneapolis and do business with several clients in downtown St. Paul.  Often we have to drive between the two downtowns for business meetings or to transport materials if a courier can't.  Many other businesses have the same issue.  It would be nice to have a non-stop or limited-stop service of some sort between the two cities during the workday.  Brief stops at the U and in the Midway would work too.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

And for bar hopping on weekends. :)

The point is to unify the two downtowns into one effective downtown.

The few stops in between (2-4) can be used both for Transit Oriented Development and to bolster existing transit destinations...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Why not just abandoned downtown Saint Paul and declare Minneapolis the winner in the downtown wars. Then Saint Paul can focus on creating a new neighborhood which does not compete with downtown Minneapolis, but instead exists as distinct from downtown Minneapolis....much the way uptown does or Grand Avenue does.

I would agree that unification could be a goal...if there really was a business demand. However, I think a non-stop to the airport and bloomington would probably be more useful or aat least just as useful.

If one looks at the new Metro Transit map, one can see a future desire to build an LRT line from ST Paul to Bloomington.

Route 55 is the Hiawatha LRT. Route 54 is the accelerated bus service from St Paul to the Airport/MOA.

The main disadvantage, at present, to providing transit service to any suburban area is that said areas are not pedestrian friendly, and the main problem becomes "last-mile" service.

• 3 months later...

They should not merge, or even think about it.

Despite people's complaints of the Minneapolis vs. St Paul debate, it has fueled quite a rich history. The persona and characters of the two cities are completely different, and I can't see how it would be in anyone's interests for the cities to merge.

St Paul has charm and class, Minneapolis has glitz and glamor.

• 4 weeks later...

I would say no, since I think the competition between the two cities helps even out the political equation in the state more than likely and helps keep the two local governments on their toes as they see what their neighbor is up to, and probably most folks would like to keep the distinct character, history, and association they have with their respective cities.

• 4 weeks later...

I think we should merge Duluth and Rochester.. and create a transport beam so you can teleport between the two. We'll call it Dulester. With this in place, we can effectively merge Saint Paul with Saint Cloud, Saint Joseph, and Saint Peter.. and we'll call it Saint Clopepajo

Just imagine the reduction in overhead.. saving the taxpayers millions and allowing for growth opportunities never seen before. Saint Clopepajo would finally beat Minneapolis in the downtown war.

I think this topic is a little bizarre and must have come from someone's own inner musings. I have never heard of any idea, proposal, or suggestion from anyone about "merging" the Twin Cities. Of course it's possible that it has been suggested and I never heard about it.

My opinion is that St. Paul and Minneapolis complement each other greatly, percieved rivalry notwithstanding. I love both cities for different reasons and I think it's great that they have such distinct character. I see the difference between the two as a big asset to the metro area.

BTW, the Star Tribune just ran a story on the 2 mayors, and how well they get along. Not just that, but they agree on many issues and plan on working together for the betterment of the Twin Cities--BOTH of them. The next few years should be a great time for Mpls and St. Paul.

Archived