Idiot Talking Heads on CNN

monsoon

I was quite amused at Bill Hemmer's comments on the pending Duke Energy acquisition of Synergy. ".....uhhh Isn't that in NC? Oh yeah, the Blue Devils". And he is from the South, though CNN has exported him to NYC.

This is what passes for news these days from the self proclaimed "most trusted network".

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was quite amused at Bill Hemmer's comments on the pending Duke Energy acquisition of Synergy.  ".....uhhh Isn't that in NC?  Oh yeah,  the Blue Devils".    And he is from the  South, though CNN has exported him to NYC.

This is what passes for news these days from the self proclaimed "most trusted network".

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

He could be a scallawag?

I was quite amused at Bill Hemmer's comments on the pending Duke Energy acquisition of Synergy.  ".....uhhh Isn't that in NC?  Oh yeah,  the Blue Devils".    And he is from the  South, though CNN has exported him to NYC.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It amazes me how many networks STILL do this. The only one I have seen who is familiar with Charlotte is the Weather Channel, at least they know where we are. It's not like these people cant get on Google and find out where Duke Energy is headquarted at. :blink:

Occasionally, it is annoying to watch the NY local news. They can never differentiate North and South Carolina while call them both the "carolinas" like there all the same place. On top of that, making errors along with it. Heres what i can recall misprounced places and different ways of saying it from over the years:

Kinston, Kingston.

Fayetteville, Fayville.

East Carolina University, Eastern Carolina University.

South of the border in Rowland, Robeson County. Uh, no its in Hammer, SC (just north of Dillon).

Raleigh, RAWLEE (thats how they say it, thank god not how it was spelled!). I still laugh at it to this day.

UNC-Wilmington (also nicknamed UNC-W), NC-Wilmington.

---

As far as the CNN anchor monsoon, your right, what an idiot. He should of went along with the script and not went on his own saying "uhhh isnt that NC... " .

NJ recently had a high speed chase and ended up in a standoff in Lopatcong Twp, Warren County. The national news outlets (CNN, Fox, MSNBC) placed it as Phillipsburg instead. I did not watch the national news outlets during that standoff. I watched News 12 NJ instead for better coverage that they know what their talking about which they also do a fair job in journalism/coverage. The evening anchor, Tom Layson was from the Phillipsburg area so it was nice to get personal imput of Lopatcong Twp of what he saw going on when he was asked to drive to Edison to the News 12 NJ studios earlier than usual.

To be more balanced so i am not picking on one person, during the 9/11 coverage while i was watching WRAL, they would have the reporters probably in West New York, Weehawkin, Guttenburg on the jersey side of the Hudson River but they would say on their location "near Manhattan". Yea, i am aware of most North Carolinians not aware of the NYC metro area but in my opinion, that was not necessary to label "near Manhattan". WRAL's newscasts always label the exact towns in Iraq on the war coverage, why not label WHERE you are in NJ? The reporter should of said " I am in such and such, about XXX miles away from ground zero". I remember in teh first week of the 9/11 incident, WRAL switched their signal to WCBS in NY for the ongoing continious coverage of what was going on there.

I thought that was the thing to do here. On the local news in Charlotte, they always refer to "the Carolinas" or "the Carolina region". Is that wrong?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't think it is wrong in any case. "Carolinas" denotes a specific region of the country. It would be wrong if they were talking about a specific place or issue in North or South Carolina and did not differentiate between the two.

In this case, Duke Energy provides power to a large section of the Carolinas, so it is correct:

service_area_map.gif

Archived