Hampton Roads Military Developments

vdogg

• Replies 842
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

IMO this is good and bad. Good in that our area won't suffer the financial drawback of a base closing. Bad in that we are still way too military dependent and incomes and good job growth is lagging because of this.

IMO this is good and bad. Good in that our area won't suffer the financial drawback of a base closing. Bad in that we are still way too military dependent and incomes and good job growth is lagging because of this.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree with that. I wish there is some way that we could talk to city and see what they are doing to expand our economy beyond the military!!!!! What are they doing to attract higher paying jobs to this area.

Well maybe with some of the military leaving they will have no choice but to look for other means of building the regions economy.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:( Sad but true... in recent years Norfolk and Virginia Beach in particular have been fighting to diversify their economy with mixed success. They better ramp it up in the next few years... I have a feeling Ft. Monroe will be on the chopping block or will be 'realigned'. Oceana has its issues but it'll hang around for a bit. Va Bch better watch it though because without Oceana there'll be a $600 million hole in their economy.... BLEH. It's just a sad predicament...

:( Sad but true... in recent years Norfolk and Virginia Beach in particular have been fighting to diversify their economy with mixed success.  They better ramp it up in the next few years... I have a feeling Ft. Monroe will be on the chopping block or will be 'realigned'.  Oceana has its issues but it'll hang around for a bit.  Va Bch better watch it though because without Oceana there'll be a $600 million hole in their economy....  BLEH.  It's just a sad predicament...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It might be for the best!!!! It would let us reach out and grab some of the business out there or it might just run us into the dirt.

It might be for the best!!!! It would let us reach out and grab some of the business out there or it might just run us into the dirt.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm a military brat so I'm extremely biased on this one... but I think we should maintain the military presence we have now and just build up on the rest of the economy. Ideally we would be spared this go around with BRAC and maintain all of our facilities in their current condition then in another decade when base closings start up again we'll have the military only account for 10% of our economy... not 36% (the latest number I've seen <_< Oy.

Just the same... Jacksonville lost a base somewhat comparable to Oceana (note: SOMEWHAT... not in scale but in economic impact)... and now Jacksonville is certainly doing OK. It stings for a bit but it presents additional opportunities. Ft. Monroe is one of North America's oldest existing stone forts and could rake in tourist dollars. The southeastern side of the island is a very attractive beach and could be turned into some sort of hotel or condo project. Just gotta look on the positive side sometimes.

As much and I want to diversify jobs in our area I must say replacing $600 mil is not going to be easy.  :(

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

True... but closing Oceana would be difficult for a multitude of reasons and would be a long ways away. The major reasons are that:

1 The airbase needs to be close to Norfolk because it's where the aircraft carriers have their planes land while docked.

2 The only other comparable airfeild that could in any way be modified to function like Oceana is Fentress in Chesapeake, which would keep many VB residents in-place and at the least tax dollars in the area.

If Oceana closed down at the end of 2005 it would be crippling to the city financially, but I highly doubt it will. Given time (until the next round of BRAC), VB will be able to at the least 'absorb' a major hit like that. ...er... I hope. We'll see what the future holds.

What a great article in the dailypress today! They've really been stepping it up a notch lately.

losing bases opens door to redevelopment

Many communities have had success converting former military facilities to civilian uses. But politics and pollution sometimes slow the process.

BY TERRY SCANLON

247-7821

May 9, 2005

A bayfront resort. Pricey waterfront condos. A museum. An expanded Buckroe Beach. A new office complex.

Some of those ideas have been floated as contingency plans if Fort Monroe closes, and based on the work at former military bases throughout the country, all are possible.

Whether a base has a runway, a drydock, historic homes or even a stone fort, communities have found ways to capitalize on the land. But almost every community also had common problems to overcome - pollution and politics.

Developers who have converted former bases say the keys to success are fairly basic but difficult to achieve......Full Story

Well, finding uses for the property would be relatively simple it would seem. What would be MUCH more difficult (at least in our case) is trying to recoup most of the $600 mil the base pumped into our economy. It is hard for me to imagine what could be built at the base site that could generate that kind of money. :wacko:

Hampton officials insist that they're focused exclusively on expanding Fort Monroe during the upcoming Base Realignment and Closure process, but at least one retired general has said he's seen contingency plans that include new office buildings and a quiet waterfront resort.

Part of me would really like to see this happen^^^^^

Well, finding uses for the property would be relatively simple it would seem. What would be MUCH more difficult (at least in our case) is trying to recoup most of the $600 mil the base pumped into our economy. It is hard for me to imagine what could be built at the base site that could generate that kind of money.  :wacko:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, in the case of oceana, a large extension of the resort area could be a possible candidate.

What a great article in the dailypress today! They've really been stepping it up a notch lately.

losing bases opens door to redevelopment

Many communities have had success converting former military facilities to civilian uses. But politics and pollution sometimes slow the process.

BY TERRY SCANLON

247-7821

May 9, 2005

A bayfront resort. Pricey waterfront condos. A museum. An expanded Buckroe Beach. A new office complex.

Some of those ideas have been floated as contingency plans if Fort Monroe closes, and based on the work at former military bases throughout the country, all are possible.

Whether a base has a runway, a drydock, historic homes or even a stone fort, communities have found ways to capitalize on the land. But almost every community also had common problems to overcome - pollution and politics.

Developers who have converted former bases say the keys to success are fairly basic but difficult to achieve......Full Story

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That would be very nice

Well, in the case of oceana, a large extension of the resort area could be a possible candidate.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Indeed. Also it would open up many many acres to development---something VB developers have been craving since land dried up a decade ago. I think the extension of the resort is a very interesting idea though and would make the most sense. Probably toss in a few golf courses (because they do rake in the cash especially if it garners major events)... The resorts and subdivisions would help make up for the shortfall, but still wouldn't recoup all of it. Like I said... hopefully it would only be a slight realignment within the region---not fully closing down Oceana and eliminating its 1000's of jobs... :(

I think we would be fine and it could possibly spark alot of business parks and stuff like that which would have higher paying jobs!!!Also if we lose some flat tops we will lose jets!!!! and that means jobs as well.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If Oceana closed, wouldn't the people that live/work there be relocated? Isn't that thousands of people? Wouldn't that have a very negative impact on the surrounding area which is supported by the wallets of the people at Oceana?? Wouldn't civilians lose their jobs? Initially, something like that could be devastating. If yall want to get rid of these bases and build office parks and stuff like that, you may want to hope for some sort of gradual downsizing of something like Oceana. That way it wouldnt be like getting hit by a mack truck.

If Oceana closed, wouldn't the people that live/work there be relocated? Isn't that thousands of people? Wouldn't that have a very negative impact on the surrounding area which is supported by the wallets of the people at Oceana?? Wouldn't civilians lose their jobs? Initially, something like that could be devastating. If yall want to get rid of these bases and build office parks and stuff like that, you may want to hope for some sort of gradual downsizing of something like Oceana. That way it wouldnt be like getting hit by a mack truck.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

In the long run I think it would be a great thing and I don't think it would impact us as bad as you think. We have survived worse so bring it on!!!

Oceana is not closing this time... No way.

I sincerely hope that Fort Monroe closes because it would be such an added bonus to the area in housing and such. What is the point of that base anyway?

VA has been faithful to the military so I think that we will fare better than a lot of other areas where they treat military like total crap (NJ is one place I know of first hand).

Anyway a lot of other cities are doing well without the military (Sac, Charleston for example). The main reason the military drags the area down is that when you have people who are assigned to live places they will moan and groan. When I was AD everyone on base just complained so much about this area, including me. Now that I am not "forced" to live here, I like it a lot more. The problem is that we have so many people hating it in this area to everyone that they know that it makes it seem worse than it is. Norfolk is not the best area in the world IMO but believe me it is nowhere near the worst (ever been to Saudi Arabia?)...

I think we would be fine and it could possibly spark alot of business parks and stuff like that which would have higher paying jobs!!!Also if we lose some flat tops we will lose jets!!!! and that means jobs as well.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hilarious... Let me guess, you're one of the people who bought your house next to the air base, in the last 25 years, and now expect them to accomodate you?

Go Read this:

http://pi.remi.com/ASPages/Whaley.pdf

In Brief if Oceana Closes:

21,000 lost jobs

13,000+ leave the region

GRP declines by 2.5% (VABCH declines by almost 10%)

Regional personal income declines by 1.8% (VABCH by 3.6%)

State would love 1.6% of its tax revenues from HR

And that's just the initial indications, before all of the ramifications are passed along through to the rest of the economy.

Archived