Hampton Roads Military Developments

vdogg

Hilarious... Let me guess, you're one of the people who bought your house next to the air base, in the last 25 years, and now expect them to accomodate you?

Go Read this:

http://pi.remi.com/ASPages/Whaley.pdf

In Brief if Oceana Closes:

21,000 lost jobs

13,000+ leave the region

GRP declines by 2.5% (VABCH declines by almost 10%)

Regional personal income declines by 1.8% (VABCH by 3.6%)

State would love 1.6% of its tax revenues from HR

And that's just the initial indications, before all of the ramifications are passed along through to the rest of the economy.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Actually I live in Norfolk and jet noise does not bother me. I don't expect anyone to accomodate me first of all! I grew up here and I'm not a transplant and i want this area to grow beyond the dependency of the military that it has. The only way to rid anything of its dependency is to take it away from them just like a little baby. I don't think the entire military should leave because I love the military. But this area has to do some catching up with smaller metro areas. Second I live in the Bayview section and I grew up by the airport.

• Replies 842
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hilarious... Let me guess, you're one of the people who bought your house next to the air base, in the last 25 years, and now expect them to accomodate you?

Go Read this:

http://pi.remi.com/ASPages/Whaley.pdf

In Brief if Oceana Closes:

21,000 lost jobs

13,000+ leave the region

GRP declines by 2.5% (VABCH declines by almost 10%)

Regional personal income declines by 1.8% (VABCH by 3.6%)

State would love 1.6% of its tax revenues from HR

And that's just the initial indications, before all of the ramifications are passed along through to the rest of the economy.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Oceana will stay open as long as there are carriers at NOB, simple as that.

Oceana will stay open as long as there are carriers at NOB, simple as that.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Unless the navy gets there way in North Carolina. They plan to build a landing facility there to train pilots to land on aircraft carriers. It is possible that putting oceana and this facility together would be more cost effective. Especially since it isn't that for from HR.

Unless the navy gets there way in North Carolina.  They plan to build a landing facility there to train pilots to land on aircraft  carriers.  It is possible that putting oceana and this facility together would be more cost effective.  Especially since it isn't that for from HR.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

you might be right, but Virginia and HR has alot of political ties, so NC will have a major uphill fight for it.

I think that vdogg should start a oceana thread and move all of this to there.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'll take care of it when i get home today. :thumbsup:

Keep in mind though guys that it is as much your responsibility as it is mine to stay on topic. If you have a subject that you are unsure if it fits into an existing thread it really doesn't hurt at all to start a new one. I can always merge it later if i determine that there is a subject that the new topic is already covered by. I can also modify existing topics to include more. For example: I modified the "retail you would like to see in SE VA" thread to "Retail/stores you would like to see in SE VA" so i could have some place to move our grocery store conversation. :lol:

Politics pure and simple. These people have an agenda and they are simply furious that Hampton Roads fared so well, especially after getting rejected on retiring the Kennedy and moving a Carrier from Norfolk.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No kidding...

Wherever they move people will complain. And it will cost tons of money. And it is bound to be worse on morale (living in a crappy area in the middle of nowhere) than the 10-20 people moaning and groaning to the base everyday.

VA Beach needs to work with Oceana but Oceana also needs to be realistic. They are more worried about a plane crash that could cause damage (and bring up a huge lawsuit) than anything else. That is all it is plain and simple. They should pass some law that says that they are not culpable for any damages over a reasonable threshold and let people make up their mind if they still want to live in those zones. I am sure that anyone moving out would not have a problem filling their house up again.

And as for people calling and complaining about the noise... they should get a recording that says "Get a life then move."

No kidding... 

Wherever they move people will complain.  And it will cost tons of money.  And it is bound to be worse on morale (living in a crappy area in the middle of nowhere) than the 10-20 people moaning and groaning to the base everyday.

VA Beach needs to work with Oceana but Oceana also needs to be realistic.  They are more worried about a plane crash that could cause damage (and bring up a huge lawsuit) than anything else.  That is all it is plain and simple.  They should pass some law that says that they are not culpable for any damages over a reasonable threshold and let people make up their mind if they still want to live in those zones.  I am sure that anyone moving out would not have a problem filling their house up again.

And as for people calling and complaining about the noise... they should get a recording that says "Get a life then move."

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Oceana has been there for a long time and most of these residents have not and I don't understand why you move next to NAS and not expect noice????? They are morons!!!! :angry:

Wow that is a great article....very informative, although now we know how well the region fared in the BRAC meetings. I just love to read about our 9%+ port growth this year and Trader's new tower!  :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I love this quote

"The merger, discussed off-and-on for years, finally happened because business leaders on opposite sides of the James River concluded a regional approach made more sense in courting large corporations, many of which are themselves the products of mergers. Combining the two Hampton Roads development groups will be more cost-effective, not to mention less confusing to the businesses being courted, says Hooks."

Now only if we can get our city governments to think this way.

From what I've been reading next brac closing Oceana will be going bye bye! So I hope those idiots crying about jet noise are happy when thousands of jobs go away!!! If this does happen they should use the land for some kind of indoor waterpark or something like that with a indoor skate park.

From what I've been reading next brac closing Oceana will be going bye bye! So I hope those idiots crying about jet noise are happy when thousands of jobs go away!!! If this does happen they should use the land for some kind of indoor waterpark or something like that with a indoor skate park.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Another article in Thursday's paper says that if the city loses Oceana then we would lose about 17,510 jobs, 7,460 residents and about 1 billion in wages and other spending. One billion dollars a year is an astronomical figure. It goes on to say the city would go into recession for about a year and then to recover. Sounds pretty bad to me.

Another article in Thursday's paper says the city if Oceana closes then we would lose about 17,510 jobs, 7,460 residents and about 1 billion in wages and other spending. One billion dollars a year is an astronomical figure. It goes on to say the city would go into recission for about a year and then to recover. Sounds pretty bad to me.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The pentagon seems determined to close the base and I think its going to happen too. I feel sorry for the city and residents. I hope the city has some sort of back up plan for this if it occurs! I don't think they do though, and i imagine that is something hard to prepare for.

Archived