Hampton Roads Military Developments

vdogg

I would be careful drawing too many conclusions from a study that was budgeted at about $50,000. It had to be a mostly a content analysis of existing data and studies. Good information, none the less, but there will be a pretty sizeable margin for error in those potential losses in gains. Whatever the City does will certainly involve something of a leap of faith, and this isn't an easy problem to solve.

My personal take is that defense spending will be hard to maintain at current levels for much longer. I would gamble on the private sector a bit more in our area, given a globalizing economy and increasing populations worldwide. The military won't necessarily offer the economic stability that we've enjoyed for so long. But the trick is to promote new business aggressively and intelligently.

• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 842
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The carrier GW will relocate from Norfolk to Japan in 2008 but the Navy is not saying if another carrier will replace it. The loss of one carrier would drain about 3,000 jobs and $225 million per year from the Hampton Roads economy, according to preliminary estimates by the Hampton Roads Planning District Commission.

Pilot article

I think they need to tell them to pack up their bags and go! This is going to hamper beach development over the years and then they will move in about 10-15 years. This is stupid! They need to take advantage while the market is hot cause there is no guarantee that the market will be like this when Oceana closes and moves.

So what exactly happened? They City said no new residential construction in APZ1. If the residential land cannot be rezoned to a Navy- or neighborhood-compatible use, then the City can use eminent domain to compensate the owner for his loss. All construction in AICUZ should be compatible with Navy recommendations. And they said they scaled back resort area residential development. Basically, the City said forget condemnation except in the most extreme circumstances and gave itself the green light to rezone tracts orginally set for residential development to commercial and industrial uses. That can only help the tax base since businesses pay more taxes and use fewer services. The City set itself up nicely without upsetting property owners, bowing to BRAC, or refusing to accomodate the Navy. They just returned serve.

So what exactly happened? They City said no new residential construction in APZ1. If the residential land cannot be rezoned to a Navy- or neighborhood-compatible use, then the City can use eminent domain to compensate the owner for his loss. All construction in AICUZ should be compatible with Navy recommendations. And they said they scaled back resort area residential development. Basically, the City said forget condemnation except in the most extreme circumstances and gave itself the green light to rezone tracts orginally set for residential development to commercial and industrial uses. That can only help the tax base since businesses pay more taxes and use fewer services. The City set itself up nicely without upsetting property owners, bowing to BRAC, or refusing to accomodate the Navy. They just returned serve.

The scale back on the resort area is going to hurt the beach in the future is what my point is. I think having more residents there in a urban environment would spark alot for the beach

Take note though of this paragraph from the article:

A key concern is whether the plan will be accepted by the Defense Department's inspector general, who must certify whether Virginia Beach has complied with BRAC's demands.

This is not a done deal by any stretch of the imagination. Remember, BRAC originally stated it wanted the city to spend $15-20 mil a year buying out land around the base in the APZ1 zone. The BRAC seemed to be trying to strong-arm the city into its demands but I guess we will find out soon enough.

Take note though of this paragraph from the article:

A key concern is whether the plan will be accepted by the Defense Department's inspector general, who must certify whether Virginia Beach has complied with BRAC's demands.

This is not a done deal by any stretch of the imagination. Remember, BRAC originally stated it wanted the city to spend $15-20 mil a year buying out land around the base in the APZ1 zone. The BRAC seemed to be trying to strong-arm the city into its demands but I guess we will find out soon enough.

That's why I think what the city did was clever. They're not going to stand up for or against BRAC's recommendation because the quick study showed the economics were a wash. Therefore, the city did what it thought its citizens would want: no condemnation but with zoning modifications. City is showing its willing to work with the Navy now but is unwilling to do anything that would come at its citizens expense. If the city loses, they can spin it that they were not going to sell out their citizens to appease the feds. The city is standing up without standing up.

Rus, could the resort strip really sustain 9000 additional units and retain its intended tourism purpose? 9000 units would probably mean 20,000 more cars. Atlantic is already a nightmare in summer. Pacific is getting there. I don't think we need to add Arctic, Cypress, Laskin, and 19th to that list. The Strip doesn't have to become the next Miami Beach. 5000 units is a substantial amount for a tourist area. It looks like the redevelopment area is about twice as big as Downtown Norfolk. I wonder how many residential units have been built there so far.

I understand the city's reasons for adding additional housing at the Oceanfront to make it a year round destination but I also wonder how much additional housing is too much. The streets down there are small are already very overcrowded in the summer time.

I understand the city's reasons for adding additional housing at the Oceanfront to make it a year round destination but I also wonder how much additional housing is too much. The streets down there are small are already very overcrowded in the summer time.

This is where LR would become a huge factor for the city of Vabeach and the region. This could be a push for the city to jump on the LR wagon.

I would be concerned if VB was a one horse town. Then the city would not be able to take loss of such a large base. Imagine if Seymour Johnson AFB closed in Goldboro NC. The economic impact would be devestating. However VB and Hampton Roads in general has universities and heavy and light industry to fall back on. A good commerce base if you ask me. So the loss of Oceana isn't that monumental.

Archived