Hampton Roads Military Developments

vdogg

While i don't think the cities leaning toward the airport option it has been mentioned as a contingency. I really think they're leaning more towards developing that land and extending the resort area if everything goes south.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If the base does leave what are some good ideas for development there? While we have a shortage of housing it would be easy for some developer to gobble it up but I think there should be something more grand reserved for this location. Oceana is a little bit out of the way really - not right at the oceanfront and a bit south of the expressway. Any ideas out there?

• Replies 842
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I knew a while back they were talking about the Old Beach district. So are they pushing forward with it?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The new zoning laws have a direct impact on the old beach district plans. I think they're in a holding pattern on that one until they finalize exactly what zoning will allow in that area.

The new zoning laws have a direct impact on the old beach district plans. I think they're in a holding pattern on that one until they finalize exactly what zoning will allow in that area.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Is that because of the base?

Is that because of the base?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes. The old beach diststrict is all along the 19th street corridor. Part of the plan calls specifically for dense residential development in that area. This is no longer allowed under the new zoning laws which affect a huge chunk of real estate on the ocean front.

That is a GREAT looking plan. It really seems that Oceana is taking on a bit of a stronghold though. Not sure I like that.  :angry:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yep, it sure is. I almost cried when the new zoning regulations were passed. But thats the price we have to pay if we wish for the military to continue to be as major of a presence here as they currently are. People always refer to the economic impact if the military leaves. They never take into account the economic impact if the military stays. There are quite a few trade offs here. Neither plan is perfect.

Good find how come you never put it up here before?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Because i thought i already had. I post on so many sites it's hard to keep track of now. I'll prolly add a link to the development thread too while i'm at it.

What is the plan that they want to do exactly?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Don't know beyond the pdf file. I just know that according to the regulations they just passed some things in that plan will have to change. Particularly the housing density.

They talk about wanting that area to be a destination not only during the summer time. This kind of development would encourage just that. I really hope they can come to some kind of compromise so the city can go forward.

They talk about wanting that area to be a destination not only during the summer time. This kind of development would encourage just that. I really hope they can come to some kind of compromise so the city can go forward.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

To be honest, with congress pushing the issue as to why Oceana wasn't chosen to be cut, I really think that this project will be on the back burner for a while.

To be honest, with congress pushing the issue as to why Oceana wasn't chosen to be cut, I really think that this project will be on the back burner for a while.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Do you know would this encompass the whole Oceanfront or just certain areas there?

Do you know would this encompass the whole Oceanfront or just certain areas there?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think all of the height regs will stay as is. The density issues however will affect the entire oceanfront as the entire oceanfront is encompassed in an APZ (accident potential zone).

I think all of the height regs will stay as is. The density issues however will affect the entire oceanfront as the entire oceanfront is encompassed in an APZ (accident potential zone).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ok, thanks. I guess we have to wait and see what they decide to do - or don't do :wacko: .

This upcoming week's edition of Inside Business had an article on the base which was what I was trying to communicate earlier in a posting.

Va Beach officials haven't let down their guard, but it appears that Oceana Naval Air Station could be sparred from closure or realignment in this round of base closings. However, since members of the Defense Base Closure and Realignment Commission asked why Oceana wasn't on the defense department's list, it appears certain Oceana's future is limited.

I'm not really big into NASCAR but Oceana would make a nice place for a race track and alot of people here would really enjoy it and it would generate alot of money and national attention!!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That will never happen. When nascar was looking for a home in this area (moving from richmond) we proposed building a track in Isle of Wight (large track like lowes motor speedway in NC). So many people from virginia beach complained and shot the idea down. That gave richmond enough time to talk and decide to renovate the small track. Now look who gets all that money. Granted its only a few times a year but that is alot of money pumped into the richmond area. 100,000 plus fans.

That will never happen.  When nascar was looking for a home in this area (moving from richmond) we proposed building a track in Isle of Wight (large track like lowes motor speedway in NC).  So many people from virginia beach complained and shot the idea down.  That gave richmond enough time to talk and decide to renovate the small track.  Now look who gets all that money.  Granted its only a few times a year but that is alot of money pumped into the richmond area.  100,000 plus fans.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Why in the world would people in Va. Beach care if there is a track in Isle of Wight? I'm confused. I really don't think there is some great clamour for it here so why and how did they shoot it down?

Why in the world would people in Va. Beach care if there is a track in Isle of Wight? I'm confused. I really don't think there is some great clamour for it here so why and how did they shoot it down?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

They didn't want the "crowd" rednecks, hillbillies, you know (sorry if this offends any one just trying to get my point across.) Eating at their establishments and loitering around. They felt that the track and the people would overflow into the area. Tial-gaiting and parties. Personally I thought it would be a good idea, but for some reason vb residents got up in arms about this and eventually Richmond decided to expand and upgrade the track and nascar agreed.

They didn't want the "crowd" rednecks, hillbillies, you know (sorry if this offends any one just trying to get my point across.)  Eating at their establishments and loitering around.  They felt that the track and the people would overflow into the area. Tial-gaiting and parties.  Personally I thought it would be a good idea, but for some reason vb residents got up in arms about this and eventually Richmond decided to expand and upgrade the track and nascar agreed.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

ur kidding me? all the way from Isle of Wight? It's likely if they were there for the races they'd pretty much keep their tail-gating parties confined to that area. How long ago was this an issue?

Archived