Hampton Roads Military Developments

vdogg

• Replies 842
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This article in the Pilot eludes to what some of were saying earlier : it seems to be only a matter of time until Oceana is gone.

article

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

At some point it is most definitely going to close. As someone said, it's the most-encroached-upon airbase on American soil. Nonetheless, I think it'll likely remain open this round because there doesn't seem to be a viable alternative to Oceana. The other base they were considering locating Oceana's jets at is in Georgia or others in *I think* South Carolina. That seems like it would cost 10X more to run those jets up to Norfolk to the fleet. The original reason that Virginia Beach was the location of Oceana was because of its proximity to Norfolk, which made it considerably easier for the carriers to drop off their planes before heading to dock.

Oceana is in danger, but I think it'll be at least a decade before something happens to it... By then the Navy can and more-than-likely will have a plan to replace Oceana, but even then I think the jobs will remain within Hampton Roads, just be moved to Fentress or the proposed air field in North Carolina (which even then, at least Chesapeake and VB could possibly retain a small portion of its military residents)..

At some point it is most definitely going to close.  As someone said, it's the most-encroached-upon airbase on American soil.  Nonetheless, I think it'll likely remain open this round because there doesn't seem to be a viable alternative to Oceana.  The other base they were considering locating Oceana's jets at is in Georgia or others in *I think* South Carolina.  That seems like it would cost 10X more to run those jets up to Norfolk to the fleet.  The original reason that Virginia Beach was the location of Oceana was because of its proximity to Norfolk, which made it considerably easier for the carriers to drop off their planes before heading to dock.

Oceana is in danger, but I think it'll be at least a decade before something happens to it...  By then the Navy can and more-than-likely will have a plan to replace Oceana, but even then I think the jobs will remain within Hampton Roads, just be moved to Fentress or the proposed air field in North Carolina (which even then, at least Chesapeake and VB could possibly retain a small portion of its military residents)..

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

They should move it to Eastern Shore or maybe somewhere like smithfield or Matthews county or something like that. What they don't realize is anytime that you build something that big, development is going to follow. This will happen where ever they move to after 20 years of being there.

They should move it to Eastern Shore or maybe somewhere like smithfield or Matthews county or something like that. What they don't realize is anytime that you build something that big, development is going to follow. This will happen where ever they move to after 20 years of being there.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's true.. and I'd like to see that development within this area.

That's true.. and I'd like to see that development within this area.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

And that would be huge boon to some of those economically destressed areas - and Norfolk/VB is not too far away as is the Peninsula as well.

Looks like Oceana is back on the list again. It might not make it through this round after all. The city let the encroachment and now they are going to pay for it now.

LINK

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The reason for putting it actually on the list was probably to manage to get funds for studying the feasibility of moving the jets to the proposed field in NC. There are no options for closing it this round, but in 2015 it'll more-than-likely be on the chopping block. I just can't see them closing it THIS time. Next time though, no matter what happens between now and then, it'll close.

An Admiral stated that the encroachment hasn't YET hampered the function of the base, however, he wanted the feasibility study to determine where a new base can be built in the future (last night on WAVY News). That new base under development in NC is likely the location for the next 'master base' on the Eastern seaboard. Until it's built though, Oceana will remain open. As it's been said many times, the jets need to stay in the region so they have access to the fleet. If they moved to Georgia the jets would be too far from the fleet and the waste of gas, time, money, etc would outweigh the positives in moving out of Virginia Beach.

For an area struggling to bring in good paying jobs I agree it will be a huge loss for the city/region. I think VA Beach has probably 10 years to try to bring in as many good paying jobs as possible. It has been reported that if Oceana closes the area will go into a recession for a year. I am not feeling too good about these jobs coming though. I want to think things will improve but I just don't know. I don't know where the answer lies. We have good schools and such here but the good paying jobs are going to the ever so popular regions such as Nova, Raleigh and Charlotte. It really is a shame.

The reason for putting it actually on the list was probably to manage to get funds for studying the feasibility of moving the jets to the proposed field in NC.  There are no options for closing it this round, but in 2015 it'll more-than-likely be on the chopping block.  I just can't see them closing it THIS time.  Next time though, no matter what happens between now and then, it'll close.

An Admiral stated that the encroachment hasn't YET hampered the function of the base, however, he wanted the feasibility study to determine where a new base can be built in the future (last night on WAVY News).  That new base under development in NC is likely the location for the next 'master base' on the Eastern seaboard.  Until it's built though, Oceana will remain open.  As it's been said many times, the jets need to stay in the region so they have access to the fleet.  If they moved to Georgia the jets would be too far from the fleet and the waste of gas, time, money, etc would outweigh the positives in moving out of Virginia Beach.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The air field being put in in North Carolina, is a practice facility for navy jets learning to land on aircraft carriers. It will not be a master jet base. I can gaurantee that NC will not let a master base be built there. There fussing over the simple practice and training facility that is trying to be built there. If Oceana closes they will be going to Georgia. I do think that there is a serious possibility that this could go through. The Navy is tired of fielding complaints on jet noist from nimby's who moved here knowing the base was here and that there would be jet noise. In fact, realtors have!!!!! to disclose this as there selling the house. They have no excuse for complaining about jet noise.

The air field being put in in North Carolina, is a practice facility for navy jets learning to land on aircraft carriers.  It will not be a master jet base.  I can gaurantee that NC will not let a master base be built there.  There fussing over the simple practice and training facility that is trying to be built there.  If Oceana closes they will be going to Georgia.  I do think that there is a serious possibility that this could go through.  The Navy is tired of fielding complaints on jet noist from nimby's who moved here knowing the base was here and that there would be jet noise.  In fact, realtors have!!!!! to disclose this as there selling the house.  They have no excuse for complaining about jet noise.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

For something thats been there since WWII, I don't understand why they are complaining. Dumb@sses should have never moved there in the first place. Idiots had to sign a piece of paper when they bought there house. Well I hope they go broke now because of this and I think it will close this round. The govt. is pissed about it and want to move it now.

Georgia makes even less financial sense than Virginia Beach.  The fuel and maintenance costs on all their new F-22's would skyrocket if they had to fly that distance routinely.  The practice field in NC is supposed to handle the jets at Oceana, so does it really make sense for them to have to fly 400 miles to do drills and exercizes?  Also, placing them that far away from the fleet and Washington is a security issue.  Should something happen (albeit unlikely) such as a direct attack of some sort or an air threat was issued against the Capitol-District (DC/Baltimore) and jets were required to guard the bases, it would make no sense to have them so far-removed.

As far as the NIMBYs complaining, the higher-ups in the chain of command don't have to listen to it nor do they care.  The city cannot force the base out, nor do they want to, and as yet (though shortly this may change) the developments encroaching upon the base have not hampered any base operations.

If the NC field is built, the possibility of it being turned into a full-fledged airbase along the lines of Oceana goes up astronomically.  Once the base is in-place and the land belongs to the Navy, they can build whatever they wish on the land.  Even if that plan doesn't go through, they still have Fentress and probably a dozen possible sites throughout Virginia and northeast North Carolina.  The financial costs of closing down Oceana and moving its people, jets, etc would enormously outweigh what'll be saved in closing the base.  That is a statement that comes directly from many active duty and retired Navy admirals.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That is because the city is getting these guys to speak up so the base doesn't close and they should have thought about it before they let developers encroach upon the base. You do notice that non active military people are saying this. The city is getting the retired brass to speak to their former colleges

That is because the city is getting these guys to speak up so the base doesn't close and they should have thought about it before they let developers encroach upon the base. You do notice that non active military people are saying this. The city is getting the retired brass to speak to their former colleges

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Retired military personel aren't neccessarily out of the loop. My mother retired 3 years ago but still works on Langley doing pretty much the same job. A lot of people that work on the base, including current military brass both posted to Oceana and other bases, have been saying that encroachment isn't a problem as yet. The concern isn't "oh my gosh the civilians can peer over our barbed wire fences and see what we're doing".. it has to do with liability in terms of the crash zones.

If a Navy jet crashed on the Oceanfront into the Holiday Inn and killed 50 people, it would be the worst public relations nightmare in a very, VERY long time. And the Navy would be likely to recieve many lawsuits against them. Putting the general public in danger is the concern, not so much having buildings nearby.

I still will continue to contend that Oceana probably won't be given the axe this time largely because there's nothing they can do with the jets right now. They'll have to wait until an alternative can be reached. Will that be by next BRAC? Probably... only time will tell. If it closed this go-around, I'd be surprised and more than a little confused by it, but I'd like to see what in heck they want to do with all the jets.

I think that the next decade will see growth up to the Church St/Brambleton intersection by the King memorial. That building at the intersection could eventually become loft apartments with a tower or two built in the parking where the floral store is located. The public housing will eventually be torn down creating a huge amount of development space from the bridge-ramp exit all the way past the post office to Church/Brambleton Ave. Across Brambleton, all the way to Virginia Beach Blvd. The city may eventually work it's way to Tidewater Drive but that means they have to tear down Calvert Square as well! We have the potential to have an incredible downtown that stretches from old Fort Norfolk to NSU someday. We will also have a gateway into the city starting from Granby St. at the foot of the Granby St. bridge with those developments planned there in Riverview.

Finally, the area from Va.Beach Blvd to 21st street will be interesting to watch because the TRT property has to be considered prime if we can get them to relocate and merge with Greyhound/Trailways and light-rail to form a true transportation terminal such as in larger cities. I would love to see more condos such as the ones currently in construction on Monticello extend across to the TRT property and work it's way back toward downtown. Perhaps we can have a nice development between 18th and 21st to make it all complete!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I would have to agree with you there. We have alot of catching up to do and hope that we do. Oceana might halt some of the development. This closure will affect the entire region. I hope that I'm wrong and it keeps developing. Someone has to see this area for its potential as a major metro area.

Aww man, this sucks about Oceana. My dad used to work there and I loved Oceana. I think it will be a while before it closes too, but I hope it never does...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It will close and I have a feeling it will work on sending jets to other bases and not close all at once. Expect to see scale backs as soon as next year sometime.

I would have to agree with you there. We have alot of catching up to do and hope that we do. Oceana might halt some of the development. This closure will affect the entire region. I hope that I'm wrong and it keeps developing. Someone has to see this area for its potential as a major metro area.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I dont think that the closing of Oceana will effect Norfolks development at all.

Maybe Va Beach, but truthfuly i doubt it.

its like the snowball effect. it took us a while to get it up the hill, but now were rolling downwards, getting bigger and bigger! :thumbsup:

I dont think that the closing of Oceana will effect Norfolks development at all.

Maybe Va Beach, but truthfuly i doubt it.

its like the snowball effect. it took us a while to get it up the hill, but now were rolling downwards, getting bigger and bigger! :thumbsup:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I spoke to some military people here about the oceana closing, and they all said that there are reasons the governement cant say that they will not close oceana. Its proximity to norfolk and little creek put it in a perfect position to do certain things they couldnt do at other bases. Moody is too far away from norfolk and the coast to even be a possbility. Also, the BRAC is not a governmental sanctioned body, but is closer to a group of local NIMBYs whos main goal has always been to close oceana along with most bases in the Hampton Roads area. The Fort Monroe closing was luck, not a sign of power or influence.

I spoke to some military people here about the oceana closing, and they all said that there are reasons the governement cant say that they will not close oceana.  Its proximity to norfolk and little creek put it in a perfect position to do certain things they couldnt do at other bases.  Moody is too far away from norfolk and the coast to even be a possbility.  Also, the BRAC is not a governmental sanctioned body, but is closer to a group of local NIMBYs whos main goal has always been to close oceana along with most bases in the Hampton Roads area.  The Fort Monroe closing was luck, not a sign of power or influence.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks for sharing that with us. I always liked Oceana and thought it was a good location. Like others said, it is people's own fault for moving close to the base if they complain about jet noise/development restrictions. They've known all along what is associated with living/working near a base.

Thanks for sharing that with us. I always liked Oceana and thought it was a good location. Like others said, it is people's own fault for moving close to the base if they complain about jet noise/development restrictions. They've known all along what is associated with living/working near a base.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Agreed :thumbsup: It's not like they don't realize the base is there because you have to sign paper work when you purchase a home. All I can say is there idiots! :rofl:

It will close and I have a feeling it will work on sending jets to other bases and not close all at once. Expect to see scale backs as soon as next year sometime.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think that if it goes, that will be the case. Though I still think Georgia is absolutely ludicrous ... :huh: The whole bit about Oceana going from a gainer (net increase in jobs) to a loser (possibly closing) in just 2 months is more than a little odd and I want to know why the sudden change? It's just a very sudden and strange departure from what they were saying recently...

As far as government leaders doing useless petitions and making grandiose public statements: They're worthless. If Governor Warner stood at the gate of Oceana and made a Proclamation to the BRAC board saying that the base was essential to Virginia Beach he'd be laughed off and the Commission wouldn't give it a second thought. Which is actually rather unfortunate because Virginia has a lot of political powerhouses... who (with the exception of Senator Warner) can't do much. :(

Archived