Hampton Roads Military Developments

vdogg

The pentagon seems determined to close the base and I think its going to happen too. I feel sorry for the city and residents. I hope the city has some sort of back up plan for this if it occurs! I don't think they do though, and i imagine that is something hard to prepare for.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

To be fair, after reading the whole article, it seems that while oceana closing will hurt, it won't be a death blow. That 1 billion dollar figure needs to be taken into the context of our overall 65 billion dollar regional economy and the likely real estate and tourism boom that would result after the 1 year recession due to all of this newly developable land opening up and the likely complete removal of development restrictions at the oceanfront.

• Replies 842
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To be fair, after reading the whole article, it seems that while oceana closing will hurt, it won't be a death blow. That 1 billion dollar figure needs to be taken into the context of our overall 65 billion dollar regional economy and the likely real estate and tourism boom that would result after the 1 year recession due to all of this newly developable land opening up and the likely complete removal of development restrictions at the oceanfront.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Lets also not forget that opening up the land and developing the land allows for virginia beach to tax land that was untaxable before. Yes some businesses in the area next to the base would suffer, but minimal. not to mention that developing the land and having actuall people living there would mean more business at all times not just during the work hours or lunch break. I don't think it would be such a blow to the economy there. In fact it just might actually speed up the develpment of the ocean front.

Lets also not forget that opening up the land and developing the land allows for virginia beach to tax land that was untaxable before.  Yes some businesses in the area next to the base would suffer, but minimal.  not to mention that developing the land and having actuall people living there would mean more business at all times not just during the work hours or lunch break. I don't think it would be such a blow to the economy there.  In fact it just might actually speed up the develpment of the ocean front.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

True about the land. There is no telling how much the land on and surrounding the base would be worth especially due to the size of the base. And yes, further development in and around the Oceanfront would be an added benefit.

True about the land. There is no telling how much the land on and surrounding the base would be worth especially due to the size of the base. And yes, further development in and around the Oceanfront would be an added benefit.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah but the land is covered with toxic jet fuel spill rins offs and who knows what else. It would be years to clean it up. I think they are playing a game of chicken with VB because they are fed up with the city approving so much developement there.

However, if the Navy leaves, the Oceanfront will explode. In the long run it would not be a death knell for VA Beach.

Yeah but the land is covered with toxic jet fuel spill rins offs and who knows what else.  It would be years to clean it up.  I think they are playing a game of chicken with VB because they are fed up with the city approving so much developement there.

However, if the Navy leaves, the Oceanfront will explode.  In the long run it would not be a death knell for VA Beach.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree they will have the same problems that fort monore is getting ready to have. EPA is going to have a field day. It would be a couple years after they close the base before the EPA would clear it and deem it safe for the public.

Then I think you might see taller hotels at the oceanfront too.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thats pretty much a gurantee. Almost every new hotel thats been built recently has been built right up to the height limit for that particular section of oceanfront (it varies depending on proximity to Oceana). The ONLY reason they don't build higher is because of the limits.

^ I think I agree too however an article in the paper on Thursday gave me the impression they would have relocated it had they had somewhere else to go. But I agree it is probably pretty safe for the next few years.

I think in the long run for this area I think it would be best if the base did close. We will survive and I think that it will be a opportunity opener

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Its solely a matter of opinion. I personally like the military being in Hampton Roads. My dad even worked at Oceana for a few years. So, I don't think it would be better if Oceana did close. I guess if you're all for high-rise hotels and stuff, then it would be better, but I would take the military over a more developed Va. Beach.

Its solely a matter of opinion. I personally like the military being in Hampton Roads. My dad even worked at Oceana for a few years. So, I don't think it would be better if Oceana did close. I guess if you're all for high-rise hotels and stuff, then it would be better, but I would take the military over a more developed Va. Beach.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It's definately a matter of opinion. It all due respect to the military, I would rather see Va. Beach reach its full potential. It can't under these draconian zoning laws.

if oceana goes, all vb growth is stunted for a while.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

For a while, yes, permenately, no. Taking rus's statement in context he said "in the long run it will be better for the city." I just so happen to agree.

Part of me thinks the city might have been preparing for this and knew this might happen and have things prepared for this i don't see a huge impact on this area that everyone sees. People are so scared that if we lose a base that our economy will take a dump. I think corporations will see this as a golden opportunity and jump on it with the military dependency getting smaller.

I don't think it is going to close down anytime soon. But if it ever does, can you imagine what a super-sized International Airport you could have? Travelers would be flying from all over the USA to pick up flights at Oceana to connect to Lufthansa, Air France, British Airways, Al Italia, El Al, etc. etc. etc.

I don't think it is going to close down anytime soon.  But if it ever does, can you imagine what a super-sized International Airport you could have?  Travelers would be flying from all over the USA to pick up flights at Oceana to connect to Lufthansa, Air France, British Airways, Al Italia, El Al, etc. etc. etc.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I reall don't think they would want to use it as airport because if that was the case i think they wouldn't want oceana to leave in the first place.

I reall don't think they would want to use it as airport because if that was the case i think they wouldn't want oceana to leave in the first place.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

While i don't think the cities leaning toward the airport option it has been mentioned as a contingency. I really think they're leaning more towards developing that land and extending the resort area if everything goes south.

While i don't think the cities leaning toward the airport option it has been mentioned as a contingency. I really think they're leaning more towards developing that land and extending the resort area if everything goes south.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

they wont extend the strip for a long time to come. Not until they finish the old beach district first which is not planned for completion until 2020. Not to mention all the xtra lots they have there which will be built on hopefully in the years to come.

they wont extend the strip for a long time to come.  Not until they finish the old beach district first which is not planned for completion until 2020.  Not to mention all the xtra lots they have there which will be built on hopefully in the years to come.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I knew a while back they were talking about the Old Beach district. So are they pushing forward with it?

Archived