Hampton Roads Military Developments

vdogg

They didn't want the "crowd" rednecks, hillbillies, you know (sorry if this offends any one just trying to get my point across.)  Eating at their establishments and loitering around.  They felt that the track and the people would overflow into the area. Tial-gaiting and parties.  Personally I thought it would be a good idea, but for some reason vb residents got up in arms about this and eventually Richmond decided to expand and upgrade the track and nascar agreed.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Things have changed and from what i've seen nascar has changed as well. The people are not just the redneck crowds anymore and there are alot of nascar fans in the Vabeach area. I think alot of peoples attitude has changed but we will probably never know.

• Replies 842
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Things have changed and from what i've seen nascar has changed as well.

Yeah, it was like 20 years ago when Mr. Sawyer was trying to build a track in Isle of Wight and I think he even was looking at Chesapeake as an option. They both fell apart when NASCAR would not guarantee to run two races a year at the track for at least the next 15 years.

Chaplain Training Center To Get New Facility In Hampton

May 26, 2005, 10:46 AM Email to a Friend Printer Friendly Version

The Department of Veterans Affairs plans to build a million-dollar facility in Hampton to train new chaplains.

The VA's National Chaplain Center currently resides at its medical center in Hampton but could use a new home that's more accessible to people with disabilities. The new school will be located in the second floor of the VA's existing hospice.

Rest of Story

• 2 weeks later...

INSIDER NEWS

Hampton mayor not giving up on Fort Monroe

Visit by BRAC members sparks optimism

By Laura Laing

Inside Business - Hampton Roads

Monday June 6, 2005

Hampton Mayor Ross Kearney is not giving up.

After meeting with Base Realignment and Closure Commission members Anthony Principi and retired Air Force Gen. Lloyd Newton on May 25, Kearney found reason to be more optimistic about the future of Fort Monroe.

INSIDER NEWS

Hampton mayor not giving up on Fort Monroe

Visit by BRAC members sparks optimism

By Laura Laing

Inside Business - Hampton Roads

Monday June 6, 2005

Hampton Mayor Ross Kearney is not giving up.

After meeting with Base Realignment and Closure Commission members Anthony Principi and retired Air Force Gen. Lloyd Newton on May 25, Kearney found reason to be more optimistic about the future of Fort Monroe.

Fort Monroe is going to close and honestly it's just a bill for the military. It should be incorporated by the city as a museum for historical purposes. Maybe some kind of housing in there possibly.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There is a possibility that it won't close, but it is slim. They only way it won't close is if the military sees it as a potential to use for the contractor offices that were in Nova. the only reason they were leaving nova was because they had no security. Fort Monroe would offer that security, and i think that was what the mayor was pitching to the brac member. However, the base as a military arm of the army is gone, those days are over. Time to swallow the lump in their throats and create a museam, and build resorts. :w00t:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

What the &$#@ is going on here!? If Oceana was supposed to be discussed for Base changes then why wasn't it? Now all the sudden someone changes their mind? C'mon....something's fishy here...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No one has changed their minds. There are certain politicians who have a bone to pick with Va. Beach who are absolutely furious that the military (you know, the ones that should actually make the decision in the first place) did not include Oceana on the closures list. So long as we have Warner on our side I think we're safe for now, but as I said the next round of closings and we're history.

No one has changed their minds. There are certain politicians who have a bone to pick with Va. Beach who are absolutely furious that the military (you know, the ones that should actually make the decision in the first place) did not include Oceana on the closures list. So long as we have Warner on our side I think we're safe for now, but as I said the next round of closings and we're history.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Maybe its for the best. Maybe this can be the opportunity for us to grow beyond the military dependency. Yes, it might hurt for a little bit but just maybe it will be positive. I like the military and really don't want it to go but it looks as though someone is determined to close this base.

Maybe its for the best. Maybe this can be the opportunity for us to grow beyond the military dependency. Yes, it might hurt for a little bit but just maybe it will be positive. I like the military and really don't want it to go but it looks as though someone is determined to close this base.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree being less dependent on the military but a billion dollar hole is not hardly easily filled..

Well if the military is having problems recruiting now, wait till they move Oceana to the middle of nowhere, USA and see how many people like it down there. Valdosta is a terrible terrible place to visit, but living there would be hell I am sure. Not to mention the fact that the Navy would have to be on an Air Force Base...

This guy Prinicipi has it out for VA Beach. Sure moving things there may save the military money in the short run but in the long run, who wants to go down there? And the people down there will be so thrilled to host the noisy jets? Yeah right, if that was the case they wouldn't have had all those protests in NC when they wanted to move the base there... and it's more rural than Valdosta is. They are trying to be vindictive and at the same time scare the crap out of VA Beach...

Let them close it, seriously. The base could become an industrial area and a major airport and Norfolk could close ORF and turn that area into a huge business park... This area could be marketed as a boomtown with the Oceanfront open to all kinds of development. It's not like we are some craphole in the middle of nothing. We would survive for sure. It would suck but we would be fine in the long run.

First, Norfolk will never let ORF close. That is too many tax dollars that the city will never let leave the city. Most of the govt. contractors that are coming here are not because of a NAS. Its because of the NOB and Amphib base. I really think that 1 billion dollar hole would be filled in the next 5-10 years. Let it close! Its a small wound we can bandage and let heal in a short period of time. I really think its going to close this brac closing. Someone has it in for that base point blank.

Retired admirals sign letter defending Oceana air station

VIRGINIA BEACH - About 30 retired admirals are joining the city's effort to preserve Oceana Naval Air Station as the Navy's East Coast master jet base.

At the request of Mayor Meyera E. Oberndorf, 17 retired admirals gathered today for a private luncheon at the Town Center City Club and signed a four-page letter defending the air base.

The letter will be sent to members of the Base Realignment and Closure Commission, which is scheduled to vote July 19 on whether to add Oceana to a list of military bases targeted for closure.

The combined military experience of the group is impressive, dating from World War II and including retired aviators who have flown every tactical aircraft in the Navy's inventory for the past 40 years.

"We have dealt with the needs of hundreds of thousands of sailors over our collective careers and know the service's needs for recruitment, and more importantly, retention," the admirals said in the letter. "Our experience also gives us great insight into the military value of bases, threats of encroachment and interaction with elected officials at the local level."

Rest of Story

******For more details, see Wednesday's Virginian-Pilot. *******

Archived