National retailers Downtown GV

gs3

Interesting snippet in the Greenville Journal. Seems a couple of major national retailers have visited Greenville and are interested in locating stores downtown. The company names were not given, but their have been a couple of meetings with Knox White. I've been hearing for over a year that Borders Books & Music is interested in Downtown GV. Anybody heard any other scoop on this?

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I noticed that same snippet. I have not heard anything on this myself; however, you have definitely just opened my eyes a bit. I would absolutely LOVE to see a Borders locate downtown. I was imagining for myself after reading that snippet that it was referring to clothiers such as Talbots, Ann Taylor Loft, Off Broadway Shoes, Joseph A. Banks, etc., but a book/music retailer such as Borders would be a most welcome addition to downtown. :thumbsup:

Along these same lines...

I wouldn't mind seeing a few additional walk-in, walk-out food and beverage choices, too, such as Moe's Southwestern Grill, Firehouse Subs, and Starbucks (no offense to Coffee Underground or Port City Java, of course). :D

A Pharmacy such as Walgreeen's, CVS, or Eckard would be nice to see.

And, Fed-Ex Kinko's would be a welcome addition to downtown as well.

What (if any) National Chain Retailers and/or Restaruants would y'all like to see in Downtown Greenville (including the Reedy River and West End areas)? I'm rather torn between the quaint, non-chain local charm and having some additional life breathed into downtown from established and successful chains.

You bring up a great discussion RT!

I think national retailers locating downtown is great, provided they locate in certain areas (ie: Riverplace) and if they locate in historic buildings, the integrity of the building is maintained. With the level of detail in downtown GV, I'm sure these issues would be addressed.

Would love to see Whole Foods open a second location in Riverplace. (or even a Publix or Bi-Lo)

Anthropologie

Apple

J. Crew

Teavana

Three Dog Bakery

anything unique.....not just Gap.

I found it rather funny that people are in favor of chain retailers locating in downtown Greenville, but in the Charleston section, people are complaining about the chain retailers messing up the character of downtown, esp King Street.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Charleston's downtown is "historic" and Greenville's (while quaint), just doesn't have the historical significance of Charleston's. I can understand the difference in opinions bewteen the two cities. If I lived in Charleston, I would want the city to be EXTREMELY strict about who locates downtown....they have a very delicate balance between history and retail growth downtown. Greenville should also be strict, just seems to a less degree....GV simply doesn't have the historical structures.

From what I understand the Starbucks downtown is on the way.

It will be near Falls Park.

I would like to see:

Nordstrom's

Virgin Megastore

United Colors of Benetton (Italian version of the Gap)

Illy (Italian Coffee Chain)

The Original Soup Man (chain of the Soup Natzi)

Ruth's Chris Steakhouse

IKEA

Pottery Barn

Replay Clothes

Armani Exchange

Brooks Brothers

Among others, I think all of these could be a nice draw.

A Starbucks near Falls Park would be great.

Some nice choices, BT...I'd have to agree with 81% of them. :)

I miss Virgin Megastore in Orlando - that was pretty awesome; however, I can't imagine something the size and scope of either it and IKEA downtown. Virgin Megastore *may* possibly fit in with some of the new development. IKEA, I feel, would be a good choice for the Woodruff Road / Laurens Road area.

Thanks to my wife, I've got a few more to add to the list of things I (er, uh, we) wouldn't mind seeing downtown:

Retail Shopping:

Illuminations

Restoration Hardware

Pottery Barn Kids

Crabtree & Evelyn

The Body Shop

Bath and Body Works

Old Navy

The Children's Place

The Sharper Image

Restaruants:

Baja Burrito Kitchen

Bahama Breeze

Smoky Bones - they could give Sticky Fingers a run for their money...

Ben and Jerry's Scoop Shop - this would fit right in around Falls Park

Sounds like we need to move Haywood Mall DT! ^_^

I will be content with the new stores and restaurants that are continually drawn in by the downtown museums, galleries, and theatres. There's a really nice looking restaurant about to open in the West End. I'll definitely check it out once the doors are opened to the public. B)

Greenville could definitely use some high quality theme restaurants such as you can find in Orlando. I don't think it would be too far fetched. :)

Although I welcome all downtown developement... It does concern me if too many national chains locate in downtown. It really does take away character. People visiting from out of town are more than likely not going to want to shop at stores which they have in their own home town. The small businesses offer a unique style and offer unique things. Once the movement of national chains to downtown occurs (if ever), one thing that I definitely would hate to see, are the little shopping malls that are in cities (you know, like a mini mall in a five story building). Downtown Greenville is so beautiful with its trees and other landscaping and it's all part of the downtown experience to shop from outside from outside entrances. But, that's just my opinion!

Smoky Bones - they could give Sticky Fingers a run for their money...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Oh man, Smokey Bones is awsome. It blows Sticky Fingers out of the water IMO. And most of you probably know how good Sticky Fingers is. I wish there was one anywhere in Greenville or the Upstate.

I am not a fan of all chain restaurants downtown. But I think a few of them can help boost traffic and the local restaurants. Some people are hesitant to try new places. With chains you have the advantage of pre-knowledge of the quality. This will bring more people downtown and would likely cause an increase in traffic in other businesses. I have argued that this woudl help revive Columbia's Main St, which is nothing like Greenville's (though it has other entertainment areas). My point is that a healthy mixture of the two would help everyone. Why not move some of those restaurants on Pehlam Rd downtown? they sure get alot of traffic, and porbably need second locaiton (eg- California Dreaming).

Yea - Smokey Bones does rock. If you haven't already done so, you may want to go online and write to Darden and beg them to locate a restaurant in Greenville :-) I did that with Carabba's and .... within weeks I had been told that a site had been located and purchased and that Carabba's was coming soon ... voila :) - the power of the internet!

I'd have to agree that a few national chain restaurants and retailers downtown could lend some stability to downtown, draw some traffic in, and provide others with a little more impetus to risk their own investment in new local establishments.

I'm not a huge fan either - and I must cite Cambridge, Mass as my reason for this. What was once Harvard Square with the Coop, Out of Town News, and a few other quaint local restaurants and shops has been replaced by the GAP, Bertolo's, and other assorted national chains. *Sigh* National chains weren't really needed in Cambridge. The area was bustling with students, tourists, and academic types with or without the presence of the national chains. :wacko:

Things are just a little bit different here in Greenville though. Downtown, while beginning to bustle more and more with pedestrian and vehicle traffic, could still use some additional things to draw more people downtown. A few scattered national chain shops here and there are what's missing (aside from Jersey Mike's, Atlanta Bread Company, Marble Slab, Quiznos, Subway, etc.).

Another thing to keep in mind is that there will be a much larger number of people living in DT in the near future. Most of these new condos are setup perfectly for the residents to walk out the door, go eat and shop, take in a gallery or two, attend a performance at one of the many theatres, or just stroll through a park, and then walk back home (a very welcome thought for everyone paying for gas to drive everywhere). What is needed more for these people are places to shop for retail products without leaving (driving out of) downtown. I believe having more residents here will be the key factor in any decision to bring these types of stores here as well. :)

Many of the national retailers would like to be downtown, however they cannot get over thier phobia of the lack of parking downtown.

I would really like to keep all but a select group of national restaurants out of downtown. However I think any retail should be welcome with open arms. Just make them conform strictly.

Publix is coming downtown, I believe just below the church street bridge acrosss from what used to be the Spaghetti Ware House. Not sure how long till construction will begin, and I am not really sure how well they will do there. All residents of Downtown will still have to get in thier car to get there so it really defeats the purpose in my opinion.

I would love to see a full service food market downtown. Butcher, Baker, Fish Monger and produce all under one pretty roof. But that is just me.

Publix is coming downtown, I believe just below the church street bridge acrosss from what used to be the Spaghetti Ware House. Not sure how long till construction will begin, and I am not really sure how well they will do there. All residents of Downtown will still have to get in thier car to get there so it really defeats the purpose in my opinion.

I would love to see a full service food market downtown. Butcher, Baker, Fish Monger and produce all under one pretty roof. But that is just me.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I had heard a rumor that Publix was perhaps going to be part of the development at the West End Ballpark; however, it wouldn't make much sense for them to have two stores so close in proximity. Wherever they locate, I hope they follow the unique model they used on Colonial Drive and on Edgewater Drive in Orlando. Both of those markets were very retro Art Deco on the outside and very much like a public market on the inside. B)

Speaking of Public Markets, I'm with you there, 100%. I'd love to see something like Pike Place (in Seattle) or Qunicy Market (in Boston) downtown, complete with a full service butcher, fish monger, produce, florist, etc. under one roof myself. :)

Have you ever been to the Grove Arcade in Asheville, NC? I was there recently. It seemed to me that this very thing had been attempted there at one time or another. I'm curious as to why it didn't succeed. I suspect it would go over well here. :thumbsup:

Have you ever been to the Grove Arcade in Asheville, NC? I was there recently. It seemed to me that this very thing had been attempted there at one time or another. I'm curious as to why it didn't succeed. I suspect it would go over well here.

I was at the Arcade last night, beautiful. I was in Asheville for the Ryan Adams concert and stopped in there to check it out.

I'd be all in favor of more national retailers downtown but I think that might actually hurt downtown since it would then be in more direct competition with Haywood Mall. I think that what has helped draw people downtown is the distinctive shopping (Mast General Store, Rush Wilson, etc.). Look at what happened to Greenville Mall- it is a beautiful mall that had great upscale stores but is as dead as a doornail due to trying to compete with Haywood Mall.

I'd be all in favor of more national retailers downtown but I think that might actually hurt downtown since it would then be in more direct competition with Haywood Mall.  I think that what has helped draw people downtown is the distinctive shopping (Mast General Store, Rush Wilson, etc.).  Look at what happened to Greenville Mall- it is a beautiful mall that had great upscale stores but is as dead as a doornail due to trying to compete with Haywood Mall.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Greenville Mall is slowly making its resurgence though. There are several shops coming in now. Plus, one of the vendors mentioned a dance studio, restaurant, and some other pretty big things I can't remember right now.

mmm, Smokey Bones is ok. I've had my fill, but that's only because I install POS and the networks in them. Wicked expenisive if you ask me, but the quality of food isn't half bad. Myrtle Beach is opening up here in a few weeks, and I do think that Greenville is on the list. i'm flying out to Tulsa in two weeks for that store.... Anyways, if you got questions about restaurants, I can more than likely help you with whats coming to the area, just based on my workload.

mmm, Smokey Bones is ok. I've had my fill, but that's only because I install POS and the networks in them. Wicked expenisive if you ask me, but the quality of food isn't half bad. Myrtle Beach is opening up here in a few weeks, and I do think that Greenville is on the list. i'm flying out to Tulsa in two weeks for that store.... Anyways, if you got questions about restaurants, I can more than likely help you with whats coming to the area, just based on my workload.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Can't beat a restaurant that serves doughnuts for desert :)

Out of curiosity, do you install for Micros Systems? I'm not sure which POS Smokey Bones / Darden uses off the top of my head.

So...what is coming to Greenville? ^_^

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The old Gateway Computer store on Haywood is under remodel. A friend told me it was going to be Cheeseburger in Paradise. Can you verify? Tried the one in Myrtle....great drinks.....ok food.

Archived