National retailers Downtown GV

gs3

I can't confirm this; however, I did notice the construction while at Babies 'R Us the other evening.  My wife and I were trying to figure out what the heck it resembled.  I think you may be right...this does have the look of a Cheeseburger in Paradise or a Margaritaville Cafe on the exterior.  It's quite tropical looking.

In fact, it looked a LOT like this:

http://www.moonsail.com/79-Indy%20Cheesebu...%20Paradise.jpg

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It is indeed Cheeseburger in Paradise. They recently put their sign on the building and out on the road side by Kanpai of Tokyo.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I work for Spartan Computer Services. I'm back in Greenville for the weekend, then I'm off to Houston, TX on Monday for the new Smokey Bones there. They have an interesting setup with MS-DOS on NCR POS, with 5 servers in the back, running everything from Linux to NT4 to XP Pro. It's close to about $600,000 in equipment, plus either fiber optics or a T1 drop into the store. Um, as for new restaurants coming to the area, I will keep you guys updated on what I find out.

It is indeed Cheeseburger in Paradise.  They recently put their sign on the building and out on the road side by Kanpai of Tokyo.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That is awsome. Now I won't have to go to Asheville to go there :)

So, this is going to be located right next to Kanpai? Any ideas of when it is to open?

That is awsome. Now I won't have to go to Asheville to go there :)

So, this is going to be located right next to Kanpai? Any ideas of when it is to open?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yea :) In the same shopping center where Rhodes Furniture just closed and Babies 'R Us is located. They've put the "Cheeseburger in Paradise" signs on the building now, too.

I'm not sure yet when it will open, but it should be soon if the cover is any judge of the book.

Another themed resaruant or two that could draw some people into downtown from out and about:

Hard Rock Cafe - I can see it now...a Cadillac seemingly bursting through the wall outside of Falls Place :)  Love all, serve all!

Rainforest Cafe

Murray Bros. Caddyshack Restaurant & Sports Bar

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Correct Web Address for Caddy Shack:

http://www.murraybroscaddyshack.com/

First time poster here... I'd love to see a Trader Joe's replace that icky little Bi-Lo at the corner of N. Main and W. Park.

(Greenville has grown so much... I've been here since the mid-1970's.)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'd never heard of Trader Joe's until this post. It looks like it would be a pretty cool addition, should Greenville be fortunate enough to land one. I'm not sure that Bi-Lo is ready to let go of that spot on North Main though. Perhaps it would fit in with the West End a bit more, anyway.

I'd never heard of Trader Joe's until this post.  It looks like it would be a pretty cool addition, should Greenville be fortunate enough to land one.  I'm not sure that Bi-Lo is ready to let go of that spot on North Main though.  Perhaps it would fit in with the West End a bit more, anyway.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I heard Bi-Lo is planning on doing something downtown that would include an in-store pharmacy. I do not know if that includes expanding the existing North Main store (which needs extensive renovation and remodeling) or relocating towards the West End.

Either way, Bi-Lo definitely needs a larger store in downtown. I like to be able to get what I need in DT, but they just don't carry nearly enough to make it a regular stop for me. I absolutely love the newer Publix on Pelham and East North. They have everything I need and the best customer service in town. If Bi-Lo is to attract people like myself, they will have to accomplish everything Publix does. I would also like to see any new/renovated store build a uniquely attractive facade that will fit into the beautiful downtown scene. :)

I would also like to see any new/renovated store build a uniquely attractive facade that will fit into the beautiful downtown scene. :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I wish I had a couple of snapshots of the Publix stores on Colonial (Highway 50) and in College Park (Edgewater) in Orlando, FL. Both have a very unique store layout and an old-fashioned Art Decco facade. Something like that would fit in very nicely downtown here.

Both are very similar to this:

publixdade.jpg

Maybe something like this Publix in Ft. Lauderdale wouldn't be so bad:

publix.jpg

First time poster here... I'd love to see a Trader Joe's replace that icky little Bi-Lo at the corner of N. Main and W. Park.

(Greenville has grown so much... I've been here since the mid-1970's.)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Wild Oats is another one that would be a great addition. www.wildoats.com

According to a couple of news snippets (GSA Business and Greenville Journal) Publix is actively looking at a downtown location.  Riverplace seems like the perfect spot.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think the Park at the West End (near the new ballpark) would be a better location. Ideally, as is the case with any grocery retailer, Publix would probably prefer to center itself where the income/disposable income demographics make sense (the profit is in the perishable foods departments). In this case, they'd probably look more towards North Main/Stone Ave.

Someone posted earlier about the possibility of a new Publix on Broad Street, under the Church Street Bridge. That location is not as bad as it may seem. Remember how very close they'd be to the Cleveland/McDaniel/Crescent/Faris neighborhood(s). Very likely that location would draw a majority of business from these residences, along with strong support from the downtown population. :)

Of course, as I say that, I also realize that locating within a bustling area with new development would make the most sense. Once the ballpark opens and RiverPlace is packed with residents, visitors (Hampton Inn), and office workers, the West End will virtually mandate a supermarket. I think that this presents an ideal place to begin looking at creating a new urban design for such a store. :)

Wild Oats is another one that would be a great addition.  www.wildoats.com

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There is a Wild Oats going up at The Shops at Greenridge at Woodruff Rd.

I think the Park at the West End (near the new ballpark) would be a better location.  Ideally, as is the case with any grocery retailer, Publix would probably prefer to center itself where the income/disposable income demographics make sense (the profit is in the perishable foods departments).  In this case, they'd probably look more towards North Main/Stone Ave.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Didnt the Journal say that Publix is claiming the West End (at Ball Park) is their first choice, but only has a bagaining chip for another site. Possibily Broad St?

I really like the later photo.

Is it rumored some supermarkets in Florida that are two or more levels?  If I am thinking right, you would have a parking deck beneath and/or above the store and three floors of grocery, specialty departments, and your pharmarcy/HBC/GM.  Knowing it is impossible to push a full cart of gorceries up an escalator, you will need gradually inclining ramps that are wide and long enough to transverse between each floor.

May I suggest this Publix:  http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=7897

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The one in Miami is just a little too funky for my tastes; however, you'll be hapy to know that there's a Parking Deck attached to the Ft. Lauderdale Publix above, too:

publixlasolas1a.jpg

Something like this would be great for the West End!

The one in Miami is just a little too funky for my tastes; however, you'll be hapy to know that there's a Parking Deck attached to the Ft. Lauderdale Publix above, too:

publixlasolas1a.jpg

Something like this would be great for the West End!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Now only would it be great, it is functionable and attractive to bring people into the city.

I thought up this building idea that could combine a supermarket and some residential sites:

Ground level: actual supermarket ranging from 45.000 - 60,000 square feet containing your deli, bakery, produce, meat, seafood, grocery, HBC, pharmacy, etc.

Parking deck (3-4 upper levels), people movers would carry up people and carts with specialized gripping wheels so carts would not fall back to the ground for injury

Apartments (10 upper levels)

• 3 weeks later...

When did downtown initially jump the shark, retailwise? Were the stores downtown pretty nice in the 1960s and 1970s or were they more mid-market?

I recall having a few semi-national chains there in the early 1980s (Heyward Mahon (a Hart-Schaffner-Marx store), among others, along with ratty Bell Tower Mall and the Stone Ave. Sears), and I assume that there was a lot more there before Belk's moved to Haywood Mall in 1980, but I don't recall shopping downtown much then. I guess not many people did!

Now only would it be great, it is functionable and attractive to bring people into the city.

I thought up this building idea that could combine a supermarket and some residential sites:

Ground level:  actual supermarket ranging from 45.000 - 60,000 square feet containing your deli, bakery, produce, meat, seafood, grocery, HBC, pharmacy, etc.

Parking deck (3-4 upper levels), people movers would carry up people and carts with specialized gripping wheels so carts would not fall back to the ground for injury

Apartments (10 upper levels)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well Bo. After hearing about the new Publix that is going up on the Mcbee Apartment site. I guess you were right on. Wasn't you. :thumbsup:

Is Greenville big enough to support national retailers downtown without losing the success of Haywood and Greenville malls? If something like Gap or Banana Republic were to open a store downtown, it would definitely do great business. My only concern is that it could negatively affect the locations at the mall, to the point that neither location is sustainable.

We are definitely getting a Starbucks in the West End, correct? I think that is a good idea, and hopefully the interior would be unique and fit well with the West End environment. It will succeed in downtown...no doubt about it.

I agree with a previous poster that a Borders downtown would be great also, especially since we don't have one in Greenville yet. That might hurt Books-A-Million, but I don't see it having an impact on either Barnes and Noble. Is the old Kress building big enough for a Borders? Hmm...

Archived