National retailers Downtown GV

gs3

I believe it may very well be.

The thing that I keep in mind is that the Greenville Mall will eventually be dead. It's dying as we speak/type, unfortunately. There are a number of alternative things that could be done with that property, most notably is the rumored Bass Pro Shops Outdoor World that I've seen mention of a few times in these forums.

The Haywood Mall, while undergoing rennovation, is rather limited in it's size and doesn't have much room at all for growth. Although it has and will surely attract retailers that had once called the Greenville Mall home, there won't be room for many others that may wish to open up shop in Greenville.

The logical alternative is to build another lifestyle center (like the Shops at Greenridge), which is being done.

However, the city leaders and developers downtown can (and will) surely entice some of these prospective retailers downtown. Borders and some of these other places would fit perfectly with someone's plans, I'm sure.

Don't get me wrong, I love the charm of downtown that is there; however, some national chain retailers (just a few) such as Borders would draw more people downtown that may not otherwise be drawn to it. It would certainly open the doors for those people to experience the charm that is Downtown Greenville. I certainly don't want to see Downtown Greenville become another Harvard Square in Cambridge, Mass. (where the local charm lost out almost entirely to national chains). Hmm...that reminds me...Au Bon Pan might not be a bad one to have downtown here :P

Starbucks is cool, but I've recently been wooed by the Blackberry Slushin' Joe from Port City Java. ;)

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Starbucks would be nice, but I would hate to see SPILL THE BEANS hurt by their presence. I certainly would support the locals before going to a Starbucks... But Greenville's Westend is big enough and growing and can probably support both I believe.

By the way, has anyone eaten at the new resturant down there... called something cafe or whatever. haha, I know that that's not much help, but it's right on Main St kind of across from that kitchen store... It seems like it just kind of appeared all of the sudden, but when I was down there the other night, they seemed to be packed and doing an good business...? Has anyone been there and if so, how was it? what's the pricing like and what kind of food is on the menu????

I am not sure which restaurant you are referring to. I have been to Smoke on the Water, which is a new restaurant along the Reedy near the kitchen store. It was pretty good, although it seemed like they were still working out the kinks (I went within a few weeks of opening).

The Mellow Mushroom there is also fairly new, isn't it? It was a fun environment for a Saturday night, and the pizza was enjoyable.

By the way, has anyone eaten at the new resturant down there... called something cafe  or whatever. haha, I know that that's not much help, but it's right on Main St kind of across from that kitchen store...  It seems like it just kind of appeared all of the sudden, but when I was down there the other night, they seemed to be packed and doing an good business...? Has anyone been there and if so, how was it? what's the pricing like and what kind of food is on the menu????

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Rick Erwin's ? I've not eaten there yet, but I'm tempted to check it out. I understand Rick Erwin is Joe's brother, too.

The Mellow Mushroom there is also fairly new, isn't it?  It was a fun environment for a Saturday night, and the pizza was enjoyable.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The Mellow Mushroom rocks! The pizza is great and well worth the wait. Their beer menu is just awesome. And, it's definitely a fun environment.

Given the shifting of retail out to Greenville's distant suburbs, with the demise of McAlister Square (and, before that, Bell Tower Mall), I'm surprised that a Target or another big-box mass merchant hasn't been built near downtown since there is a large retail void that could be filled. Main Street once again has a lot of retail, but it has mainly things like gift shops rather than day-to-day retail. In Charlotte, a dead mall about 1/2 mile from downtown is being rebuilt with a Target and a Home Depot. Perhaps the same could be done in Greenville?

Given the shifting of retail out to Greenville's distant suburbs, with the demise of McAlister Square (and, before that, Bell Tower Mall), I'm surprised that a Target or another big-box mass merchant hasn't been built near downtown since there is a large retail void that could be filled.

I think the city has other ideas for Pleasantburg Drive and McAlister Square.

Have a look at the following (especially Pages 34-40):

Pleasantburg Drive Corridor Master Plan (Click Here and Get out your stopwatch)

Personally, I'd love to see Target (or SuperTarget) somewhere along Poinsett Highway driving North out of downtown (near Cherrydale or Furman), but I have my own selfish reasons for that  :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Very interesting presentation; thanks. McAlister Square seems to have been successfully redeveloped into office/school space already; I cannot imagine anyone wanting to live there or at Pleasantburg Shopping Center. Perhaps Pleasantburg Shopping Center could be demolished and turned into a shopping center with a Target and more? That would be interesting. It is such an unattractive property now.

The Pleasantburg area has seen better days, and Laurens Road seemed to be heading that way with all of the retailers moving to Woodruff. Fortunately, the Verdae development will help a lot with Laurens Road retail. Also, if a Wal-Mart SuperCenter moves into the old Sam's location, that would be GREAT.

• 6 years later...

National retailers I'd like to see...

-One of those mini Best Buy stores.

-Clothing store with MEN'S clothing instead of these small local shops that sell thousand dollar suits. I'm not really sure what store I'd like to see, probably would be hard to get something downtown that's already at the mall.

-Borders or Barnes & Noble.

-Possibly a Target, maybe around the Church St area.

-H&M.

-Urban Outfitters.

Seems that gsupstate rumored the Anthropologie in this thread way back in 05. Better late then never. So the landscape has changed a bit since then, what would we like to see?

In this post, back on page 1?

"Would love to see Whole Foods open a second location in Riverplace. (or even a Publix or Bi-Lo)

Anthropologie

Apple

J. Crew

Teavana

Three Dog Bakery

anything unique.....not just Gap. "

I just read that as a list of stores that he'd like to see downtown. He is constantly claiming that stores are coming to different locations- usually Magnolia Park. If you claim that, for example, a specific store is opening in basically every neighborhood in Greenville, of course you'll be right once when it finally does, years later, but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to do that.

• 2 months later...

A Mall standard, filling a niche downtown? Not getting my hopes up, that could mean Hallmark, Sbarro (are they still in biz?), Spencer's, Glamor Shots, Claire's Boutique, or Build-A-Bear! <grin>

Yeah, my first thought would be a larger shop like (everybody sing along) NORDSTROM or whomever, but the announcement is so vague, it could be a food court. (Which wouldn't be so bad for the working lunch crowd, actually...)

Keeping my fingers crossed that it's not a "Lids for Kids"....

A Mall standard, filling a niche downtown? Not getting my hopes up, that could mean Hallmark, Sbarro (are they still in biz?), Spencer's, Glamor Shots, Claire's Boutique, or Build-A-Bear! <grin> Yeah, my first thought would be a larger shop like (everybody sing along) NORDSTROM or whomever, but the announcement is so vague, it could be a food court. (Which wouldn't be so bad for the working lunch crowd, actually...) Keeping my fingers crossed that it's not a "Lids for Kids"....

Dippin' Dots!

I'm going with something along the lines of Sephora or Urban Outfitters.

Urban Outfitters would make sense- (1) it already has stores in downtown Asheville and Knoxville and (2) it's owned by the same owner as Anthropologie.

How about a Brooks Brothers, which is in plenty of downtowns but isn't yet in Greenville at all?

Archived