Would you move to Canada?

BrandonTO416

Given the conservative-dominated scenario, would you move?  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Given the conservative-dominated scenario, would you move?

• Yes
    • No
    • Unsure

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The grass is not always greener. I find the Democrats are just as bad. Remember political correctness? Say as I think or else? Busing? Affimative Action? Tipper Gore in front of Congress condemning rock and roll as evil. This woman almost became first lady! Very Nancy Reagan-esque! Or even local issues like smoking in bars. Who cares if people smoke in bars? Apparently the Democrats do. Aren't there more important social issues like why does every American city have a ghetto? Or why are homeless veterans and old people freezing to death on park benches in cities like Boston? It's not about helping people, it's about getting re-elected.

I think Bush is wrong on almost all those subjects you mention but if the Democrats didn't drive me away (thank you Ted Kennedy) than the Republicans will not. I like living in this country too much. If the Dems ever do regain power I hope they have learned a little lesson about humility and political bullying, but I doubt it.

Vote Libertarian or Green or write yourself in but for gods sake vote your conscience, not for the lesser of any evil.

btw- The quality of life in Massachusetts/ Boston pretty good so that would not really be a consideration.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I couldn't agree more, as much as I hate the far right, I hate the far left just as much, both are hipocrits. And I hate Canada, and love this country, not the government, but the people.

There was a rather large list of celebrities that said tehy woudl move to Canada if Bush won (which he did). I never heard of any of them actually moving.

I would never leave this country for that place. In fact, I'm thinking that Lewis Black has the right idea with building that wall to keep the cold air out :) [play the theme song to Team America while reading that]

With high crime rates, political representatives who are solely interested in financial gain, and a general slide down the toilet recently, I've been thinking about immigrating for a few years.

I have a Canadian aunt living in Toronto (which also makes it much easier to change citizenship), so I may go there, but I love BC or may even go to Newfoundland or Nova Scotia. I'll be taking a Canadian trip in the next few years for just that purpose.

I'm sort of waiting it out at this point to see if things get a little bit better, but, like so many in my generation who have resigned themselves to worry about their petty lives, I'm cynnical about the whole thing.

Given the nature of elections in recent time in the United States, given the fact that young America appears to be voting more conservative in recent time, and given the potential that the USA could become a neo-conservative controlled state with a weak left-wing opposition for a substantial period of time - would you consider moving to Canada?

I want to propose a scenario:

Bush wins in 2004. Republicans continue to dominate both state governorships, the US Congress, and the Presidency.

The Republicans continue to introduce conservative social policies such as faith-based welfare spending, an anti-gay AMENDMENT to the constitution (historical in nature, first time any group is singled out to specifically call for fewer rights - might I add - if it happens), further laws restricting abortions (Bush signed the partial birth law today - partial birth abortion is abortion after the 12th week, not when the baby is being delivered as its name implies).

Let's pretend Social Security is abolished in its current form and we transfer to a privatized system that is not secure. Let's pretend our medical system continues down the current path and begins to deteriorate worse, and even fewer people have medical care.

Universities and colleges continuously are under-funded, tuition rises, student loans and grants become harder to come by. Less chances for the American Dream.

K-12 public schools are left behind via a new voucher program and accelerated private school promotion spending.

....if these things end up happening, would you even consider moving?

I've already considered moving and its yet to happen. The equal rights for gays and the universal health care issues alone are enough for me.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

First of all, many of the programs that Minnesota citizens benefit from are Minnesota-based like Medical Assistance for the disabled/uninsurable/uninsured and MInnesotaCare for the working poor. We have hte lowest rate of unisured citizens in the nation with only 8.5%, compared to 1 in 4 in Texas. So changes in federal policy would be less felt here. (Although our current governor has tried to do this to no avail. Not even the republicans in the legislature supported his budget.)

But as a more liberal state with more state run medical and education programs, we have one of hte highest per capita incomes in the country and one of the lowest unemployment rates with several multinational corporations based here. This is all underneath the 4th highest tax burden of any state in the U.S... The argument that low taxes equals better economic growth is a line of bull in my opinion.

I agree that Universal healthcare is a good idea, because then everyone receives the same care based on their ability to pay. (through progressive income taxes.)

I also believe in a highly funded education system where everyone can afford to get a GOOD education through the graduate school level. If a poor kid from a poor family in the middle of Bumf*ck, MN wants to become a doctor, that kid can do it, and rightfully so.

I've come to realize it's not about bashing republicans. Most republicans out there have the same goals: A highly educated, healthy workforce. The difference is, is that I believe that the state (on a more local level) is the best entity to ensure these things. Of course we should encourage private institutions, but when they are not affordable, a state funded school should provide an education just as good.

The grass is not always greener. I find the Democrats are just as bad. Remember political correctness? Say as I think or else? Busing? Affimative Action? Tipper Gore in front of Congress condemning rock and roll as evil. This woman almost became first lady! Very Nancy Reagan-esque! Or even local issues like smoking in bars. Who cares if people smoke in bars? Apparently the Democrats do. Aren't there more important social issues like why does every American city have a ghetto? Or why are homeless veterans and old people freezing to death on park benches in cities like Boston? It's not about helping people, it's about getting re-elected.

I think Bush is wrong on almost all those subjects you mention but if the Democrats didn't drive me away (thank you Ted Kennedy) than the Republicans will not. I like living in this country too much. If the Dems ever do regain power I hope they have learned a little lesson about humility and political bullying, but I doubt it.

Vote Libertarian or Green or write yourself in but for gods sake vote your conscience, not for the lesser of any evil.

btw- The quality of life in Massachusetts/ Boston pretty good so that would not really be a consideration.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

AMEN! I totally agree. I think the two-party system is completely redundant. I vote democrat in Minnesota because I believe our democratic politicians are sincere and do a lot of good for us. (Like voting against CAFTA to keep the sugar beet farmers going, or not being afraid of raising taxes so we don't have to shove 40 kids in a classroom, etc etc etc.. the list goes on... but I digress.)

Archived