The Government District:

PoPo

21483680-L.jpg

21483692-L.jpg

City Hall

21483695-L.jpg

21483700-L.jpg

County something or other (i think the oldest county

courthouse standing, but not sure of its current use)

21483706-L.jpg

21483711-L.jpg

Jail Central, a charming name for a charming building.

Scary noises and funny smells come with walking next to

this building

21483708-L.jpg

21483715-L.jpg

21483728-L.jpg

Court Arcade, somewhat old, but not very interesting in its

current use.

21483713-L.jpg

Great aunt Stella Center, a community center in a century

old reformed presby church

21483718-L.jpg

21483768-L.jpg

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the lovely McDowell skyline: the new parking deck, the old

sheraton for jurors and families of criminals, and the

office building for lawyers:

21483720-L.jpg

the new courthouse parking deck under construction

21483731-L.jpg

21483734-L.jpg

21483754-L.jpg

21483759-L.jpg

the new county courthouse under construction

21483737-L.jpg

21483741-L.jpg

21483745-L.jpg

21483750-L.jpg

21483757-L.jpg

21483748-L.jpg

The well designed 3rd/4th Street exit from Belk

21483762-L.jpg

the Cameron Brown building and Adam's Mark, which

apparently won't be razed when bought, according to source

on this forum.

21483766-L.jpg

awesome pix dubone....I could not help but to laugh at the 3rd and 4th street ramp that is in need of some serious overhaul. This is one of the most screwed up off-ramps in the entire Charlotte Metro. It is a nightmare trying to get to third from 277 when it is rush hour. I notice most people will just run the light, because if you didn't it would only let one maybe two cars in a time becuse of the pile up from incoming traffic on 4th going to third. The DOT really needs to get some engineers in here and fix this.

lol. i think that is why DOT puts cameras at these kinds of interchanges. I think in Raleigh, there is a tv show called "Charlotte Comedy Capers" that just has images of cars doing funny maneuvres on these funny intersections. There is peppy piano music and each near-wreck gets a special chord. :).

Note to chief: i know, i know.

Everything in Charlotte looks new.  By the way, what are the wards which I always hear about in Charlotte?  Are they city council districts or quarters of the city?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

the original town of charlotte was a single square mile, with the intersection of trade and tryon streets being in the center like. The quarter mile sections on each quadrant of trade and tryon became the original four political wards of the town.

They are no longer boundaries for anything political, but they are still used as the names of the neighborhoods. The original square mile of the old town is entirely inside the 277/77 loop (which delimits a ~1.5 area).

The original town was a little hill with T&T being the highest point, with two creeks on either side east and west and little valleys on the north and south, which now each contain freeways :).

hmmmmmm i don't think that was me. I was wearing a tie-died muscle shirt tied in a knot to show my belly, and stone washed cutoff jeans. and knee high black leather boots.

:blink:

um....

seriously, though, i'm not sure that was me. I didn't wear a cap, and i can't remember what tshirt i was wearing, but i don't think it was was light colored.

hmmmmmm  i don't think that was me.  I was wearing a tie-died muscle shirt tied in a knot to show my belly, and stone washed cutoff jeans.  and knee high black leather boots.

:blink:

um....

seriously, though, i'm not sure that was me.  I didn't wear a cap, and i can't remember what tshirt i was wearing, but i don't think it was was light colored.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

OK, then it definitely wasn't you. Probably just another uptown photo tour guide. :)

hmmmmmm  i don't think that was me.  I was wearing a tie-died muscle shirt tied in a knot to show my belly, and stone washed cutoff jeans.  and knee high black leather boots.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hot! Are you sure you were in uptown Charlotte? I could swear I saw you in that outfit at the Eastridge Mall in Gastonia.

Cant wait till they get all those damn poles out of first ward, they look so ugly. (Look at the photos around courtside...) Will be a huge improvement in the look of the comunity, imo. We're in the process of taking the fiber off the poles going up 6th to the last pole at the tracks, should be soon hopefully. Thats the only thing left on those poles.

Nice pics though. I love the look of the new courthouse too.

awesome news. I wasn't sure because 'they' (i guess 'you'?) marked up the streets with the orange chalk, and then dug, but seemed to repave parts of davidson without removing all the wires from the poles. I'm glad i misinterpretted whatever i eventually saw, because i think all the poles should come down where ever there is growth.

My other photo thread from last weekend shows just how awful the poles and wires are in that area, but luckily it is a stated plan by CPCC and Grubb and i think presby and others to remove the poles around there, especially eliz ave.

No, not me directly (thank god), but those I work with. But I was told today the small section from brevard up to the tracks should be done in the next week or two. Everything else in First Ward and Elizbeth Ave. will be done, but dont expect anything completed until close to a year from now. Kinda depends on how long each utility drags its feet...

Archived