Triangle--Imperial Center

JunktionFET

Research Triangle Park is laden with assorted office parks and corporate campuses, ranging from large to small. There are also a plethora of hotels and what seems to be a growing number of residential options along the perimeter of the 7000 acre Pine tree laden slab located in southeastern Durham County.

One particular park I've taken interest in is Imperial Center--coincidentally home to the Sheraton Imperial (large hotel visible on I-40 from as far away as the Airport Blvd exit).

This office park is intriguing partly because of how it is laid out. The whole area is connected with a walkway system, much of which is removed from street level by a wide natural buffer. Additionally there are a number of TTA transit stops, several of which are sheltered. The area has a number of what I consider very attractive mid-rise buildings, and there's even a day care center on site.

Though I was unable to captures pictures of them due to limited time and dead batteries, there are at least two apartment complexes on the outer perimeter of Imperial Center--one of which has recently opened (can be seen from I-40 at Page Rd exit).

Anyway that's all fine and dandy, but the most interesting part of this area is its location. It is practically across the street from the proposed Triangle Metro Center development--a very large urban mixed use complex planned around one of the TTA Regional Rail stops.

If the TTA rail and this Triangle Metro Center development come online, I can't help but wonder what will happen in Imperial Center. I imagine that the proximity will only fuel more activity. I think Imperial Center has the potential to become something more than a typical suburban development.

Here are some pictures I gathered this weekend. These first two are of my trip there. I saw this and had to catch a picture. It is on US64 in southwest Cary heading towards the NC55 interchange. In the distance you can see the highly eroded remnents of what were once extremely tall volcanic mountains in Chatham County.

US64_1.jpg

US64_2.jpg

Some of the buildings

Sheraton2.jpg

Street1.jpg

Building11.jpg

Building8.jpg

Street2.jpg

Building9.jpg

Courtyard.jpg

Building17.jpg

Building13.jpg

Street4.jpg

Building10.jpg

Buildings1.jpg

Street3.jpg

Building14.jpg

Tree3.jpg

Building7.jpg

A few more... :thumbsup:

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Building4.jpg

Building1.jpg

My favorite building

Building6.jpg

Building5.jpg

Haha, these people have funny commercials

Building3.jpg

There were a pair of these with a nice little courtyard, but the batteries in the camera gave up on me

Building18.jpg

Sign7.jpg

Sign4.jpg

Sign2.jpg

Daycare

Daycare.jpg

Sign5.jpg

Building16.jpg

Sheraton from a bus stop bench

Sheraton3.jpg

Sign1.jpg

Sign6.jpg

TTA Bus shelter

TTA1.jpg

And the bus/shuttle that accompanies it

TTA2.jpg

I-40 in the distance--I believe you can see the rooftops of one of the new apartment complexes

Freeway1.jpg

Haha, yes. 

Those first photos remind me of headed to the mountains in Western NC.  Its hard to believe this is in the Raleigh area.  One has the impression it is all flat sandy land in that part of the state.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

LOL. The triangle is quite hilly and has the red clay common to the piedmont. It doesnt get flat and sandy until you go about an hour east of here.

Archived