Top ten metros for business

urbanvb

This most recent issue of Forbes magazine surprised me for sure. Here are the top ten places for business in the US (as ranked by them of course).

1. Boise, ID

pop. 488,000, job growth 2.4%,income growth 3.2%

2. Raleigh Durham, NC

pop. 1,313,000, job growth .07%, income growth 1.7%

3. Austin, TX

pop. 1,402,000, job growth .6%, income growth 2.4%

4. Wash DC/Nova

pop. 5,292,000, job growth 1.8%, income growth 3.9%

5. Albuquerque, NM

pop. 764,000, job growth 1.3%, income growth 1.7%

6. Huntsville, AL

pop. 362,000,job growth 1.1, income growth 1.0%

7. Fayetteville, AR

pop. 346,000, job growth 3.6%, income growth 5.3%

8. Norfolk, Va (wow!)

pop. 1,646,000, job growth 1.4%, income growth 4.1% ( <-- wow again!)

9. Atlanta GA

pop. 4,541,000, job growth .5%, income growth 2.7%

10. Madison, WI

pop. 454,000, job growth 1.2%, income growth 3.1%

Here is what they have to say about Norfolk.

Norfolk's high-tech employment is only. 2.5% of the labor force, compared with an average of 7.7% for of the top ten. Incomes remain below the national and state averages, but they've been gowing at the eighth-fastest rate in the US.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This most recent issue of Forbes magazine surprised me for sure. Here are the top ten places for business in the US (as ranked by them of course).

1. Boise, ID

pop. 488,000, job growth 2.4%,income growth 3.2%

2. Raleigh Durham, NC

pop. 1,313,000, job growth .07%, income growth 1.7%

3. Austin, TX

pop. 1,402,000, job growth .6%, income growth 2.4%

4. Wash DC/Nova

pop. 5,292,000, job growth 1.8%, income growth 3.9%

5. Albuquerque, NM

pop. 764,000, job growth 1.3%, income growth 1.7%

6. Huntsville, AL

pop. 362,000,job growth 1.1, income growth 1.0%

7. Fayetteville, AR

pop. 346,000, job growth 3.6%, income growth 5.3%

8. Norfolk, Va (wow!)

pop. 1,646,000, job growth 1.4%, income growth 4.1% ( <-- wow again!)

9. Atlanta GA

pop. 4,541,000, job growth .5%, income growth 2.7%

10. Madison, WI

pop. 454,000, job growth 1.2%, income growth 3.1%

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

We beat Atlanta! You're freakin kidding me! :w00t:

Folks this could be great news for us! And imagine the exposure we get from just being in this magazine! I am praying this will help usher in some good paying jobs for our areas.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It's definately a start. Companies really pay attention to what that magazine has to say. It'll definately generate more interest :) .

I also noticed that we have the second highest income growth. Thats also a good start but we have a long way to go before we catch up.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

True. But, I guess, me being the optimist, it has to be good. I mean, we are in the top ten in the whole US. Think about how many other cities didn't make it in the US - thousands!!

what do the rankings even mean? I don't give a damn about stupid rankings. I don't know of any company that does, maybe they do though.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Companies pay a lot of attention to what prominent newspapers and magazines have to say because often times thats the only information a company has on a particular region. If you are a company located in another state and you are looking to make a move or expand your business you're going to look at any reputable information you can find to make your choice. I think this is a very important development and i'm happy that this region is finally starting to get some recognition.

yeah its nice and all, but I would not make a business desicion solely on a magazine... Come on, lets be reasonable here.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Definitely not. But it shows we must be at least moving in the right direction.

yeah its nice and all, but I would not make a business desicion solely on a magazine... Come on, lets be reasonable here.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Nobody in their right mind is saying that this would be the only thing that a company would use to make such a decision, but it would be one more positive thing to add to the overall portfolio of a city to make it attractive to prospective businesses.

Nobody in their right mind is saying that this would be the only thing that a company would use to make such a decision, but it would be one more positive thing to add to the overall portfolio of a city to make it attractive to prospective businesses.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Exactly, add this to the downtown Norfolk's renaissance and of course TC's growing urban core.

complete list

Richmond is ranked 14th as well....That means Virginia did incredibly well in this list. 3 of the top 15 were Virginia cities (D.C./NOVA at #4, Norfolk at #8, Richmond at #14) Richmond was #10 last year....sucks that they dropped out of the top 10 but congrats to HR for filling in the hole! :thumbsup: ....interesting how people aspire to be like Charlotte when they were ranked 42nd....btw Charlottesville was #12 in the small cities list which is great as well! Congrats HR and VA as a whole :thumbsup:

complete list

Richmond is ranked 14th as well....That means Virginia did incredibly well in this list. 3 of the top 15 were Virginia cities (D.C./NOVA at #4, Norfolk at #8, Richmond at #14) Richmond was #10 last year....sucks that they dropped out of the top 10 but congrats to HR for filling in the hole! :thumbsup: ....interesting how people aspire to be like Charlotte when they were ranked 42nd....btw Charlottesville was #12 in the small cities list which is great as well! Congrats HR and VA as a whole :thumbsup:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

How in the world did Charlotte rank that low?! That is absolutely shocking :o .

Wow, just reading through the stats the share of our population with a bachelors degree over 25 is 79 while Charlottes is 55. There is no reason for us to be this far behind in development. We must be investing our knowledge in the wrong types of degrees.

Wow, just reading through the stats the share of our population with a bachelors degree over 25 is 79 while Charlottes is 55. There is no reason for us to be this far behind in development. We must be investing our knowledge in the wrong types of degrees.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Maybe i'm reading this wrong. I didn't see the word rank in the column and i was thinking it was a percentile. So actually we ranked 79th while Charlotte ranked 55th which is way more in line with what i believed our areas educational woes to be.

Maybe i'm reading this wrong. I didn't see the word rank in the column and i was thinking it was a percentile. So actually we ranked 79th while Charlotte ranked 55th which is way more in line with what i believed our areas educational woes to be.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Part of the problem might be that people in HR may be moving elsewhere to get jobs instead of staying there after education. Better retainment is a key for the region.

Part of the problem might be that people in HR may be moving elsewhere to get jobs instead of staying there after education. Better retainment is a key for the region.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Brain drain is a big problem in HR. Of my HS friends who went to college and actually got degrees I know one who has stayed in the HR area. The other 6 I maintain regular contact with, and myself, live elsewhere.

Archived