Downtown Art

RestedTraveler

I searched for a thread on Downtown Art and haven't found any as of yet, so I thought this may possibly make a good topic.

Downtown Greenville (and Spartanburg, Anderson, etc.) have lots of public art on display. Statues, Sculptures, Wind Chimes, Murals, and even Architectural Features (Fountains, Bridges, etc.).

I would like to encourage all to post any photographs of Public Art here to share for all to see.

Additionally, if you have any ideas or suggestions for Public Art, throw them out here. Who knows - your suggestion today may someday become a reality.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The new sculpture at the entrance to Falls Park.  Incredible!  I'll try to post some photos in the next couple of days.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yea - Falls Lake Falls - very nice. I hear it's one of three sculptures in a series originally commissioned by a Japanese Investor.

I believe that sculpture used to be down near the newspaper.

Anyway..I have some pics of downtown..but I have yet to figure out how to post on this site.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There's a minimum post limit of 100 before you can post photos. I'm working my way towards it myself, very slowly (34 more to go, yay!).

In the mean time, there are some replies to certain threads out there which suggest linking to a couple of file hosting sites and hosting your photos on those sites.

My 5-year old has just astounded me by offering the following suggestion for public art in DT G'Ville:

Either

1) Continue the Mice on Main on South on Main Street into the West End (it currently ends at the Westin Poinsett).

OR

2) Commission a similar series from Broad Street to the Ballpark based on something like "Casey's At Bat" or another popular children's book.

OK..she didn't put it into those exact words, but still a nice suggestion :)

There's a minimum post limit of 100 before you can post photos.  I'm working my way towards it myself, very slowly (34 more to go, yay!).

In the mean time, there are some replies to certain threads out there which suggest linking to a couple of file hosting sites and hosting your photos on those sites.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The 100 post thing is the requirement for using UP to host your photos. You can indeed use your own host like Photobucket. There are other suggestions in the UP Information section.

Thanks for the help..Does anyone know what signifance does the suitcase on the bench in front of the Westin have?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Not sure of the whole history, but I know the day I came to look over Greenville about moving here, the suitcase held Greenville city guides. I think the Chamber keeps this filled. I thought it was a great idea! The top pouch in the lid is sized to hold the Greenville guides.

My 5-year old has just astounded me by offering the following suggestion for public art in DT G'Ville:

Either

1) Continue the Mice on Main on South on Main Street into the West End (it currently ends at the Westin Poinsett).

OR

2) Commission a similar series from Broad Street to the Ballpark based on something like "Casey's At Bat" or another popular children's book.

OK..she didn't put it into those exact words, but still a nice suggestion :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Excellent idea!! Smart daughter!!

Friends and family that come to Greenville always LOVE the Mice on Main! Again, it's one of those "fine details" that makes big impact. GV is really great with detail.

We are getting a statue downtown somewhere of that guy who invented the laser who just got the nobel prise.  I forget his name though. Isn't it Townes?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Did I hear, dream or imagine this? :wacko: The city was trying to get a weekend laser show to go along with this statue? Is suppose to be around Riverplace right? Could be really cool!

Thanks for the help..Does anyone know what signifance does the suitcase on the bench in front of the Westin have?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ah yes - this is actually one of the most functional pieces of art that I've ever seen. The Greenville Convention & Visitors Bureau and the Chamber of Commerce keep this filled (most days) with the Guide to Greenville (also available inside during regular Visitor Center Hours).

Has anybody noticed the sign at the intersection of College, Rutherford Street, and Buncombe Street as you're headed out of Downtown Greenville towards Cherrydale Point?

It says something about being the future location of the "Pete" Hollis Sculpture Garden. There's a URL on the sign, but I never can remember it or think to write it down while driving through.

Does anybody have that address or any renderings or other information about this planned garden?

Whatever it is, I'm certain that it will be a nice addition to that part of town.

These are images of some of the sculptures around teh ESA building in Spartanburg. There are many more sculptures and artisctic rederings around town though :)

SPA_magnoliast03_ART2.jpg

Self-made man

SPA_msq07_ART.jpg

Some guy reading. It always manages to fake me out :)

SPA_msq05_ART.jpg

Palmetto Fountain- looking north

SPA_msq10_ART.jpg

Palmetto Fountain- looking south

SPA_msq09_ART.jpg

SPA_CAA01_ART.jpg

Elipse Fountain

Yes. These are all at the Extended Stay America HQ in Morgan Square, which is downtown Spartanburg.

If you are at the Beacon just exit the parking lot to the right, on John B White Sr Blvd, and take a right at the second light. This should be West Main St. It will take you straight downtown, and you will get a good view of the area too :)

To actually get to Morgan Square can be a bit of a challenge (because of the road closings and the construciton) if you don't know the area. There are several possible routes, but here is my suggestion:

Once you reach the construction, take a left at the light onto Daniel Morgan Ave. Then, take a right at the first light onto St. John Street. At the first light you come to, take a right onto Magnolia St. Once you reach the end of this block you will be in Morgan Square. Find a good place to park on Magnolia St, in the Square, or play it safe and park in the Magnolia St. Garage. Its free nights and weekends. :)

those are some nice photos spartan. i'll try to get some photos of the other statues and fountains from around the city. we really have a lot of those statues. i love the way they add to the city's appearance. have you seen the new peach tree statue at the corner of main and pine?

Has anybody noticed the sign at the intersection of College, Rutherford Street, and Buncombe Street as you're headed out of Downtown Greenville towards Cherrydale Point?

It says something about being the future location of the "Pete" Hollis Sculpture Garden.  There's a URL on the sign, but I never can remember it or think to write it down while driving through.

Does anybody have that address or any renderings or other information about this planned garden?

Whatever it is, I'm certain that it will be a nice addition to that part of town.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Here's the URL:

http://friendsofpetehollis.com/

Archived